Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:09:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)[FINISHED] Carniverse (24hr game): Odd carnival based something something
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [FINISHED] Carniverse (24hr game): Odd carnival based something something  (Read 8384 times)
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2011, 10:17:20 AM »

Hello.

The weekend before the versus comp finished, we had a 24 hour game jam and came out with a 2 player game made by 6 people (and 1 more who helped for a couple of hours). That game is unpolished and probably confusing and it is here http://toeofdoom.com/carnivale/ (among other places). The theme for the jam was "Carnivale" and we ended up with this idea which I think was originally based on enviro-bear 2000.

Known mirrors:
http://wanderlands.org/carniverse/

Original post:
6 of us started making a game 14 hours ago. We all need sleep, except the 2 people who have actually gone to sleep.

This is a feud between the 2 great professions of performance entertainment - clowns and mimes! Nothing will be spared to entertain the crowd.

Featuring 3d split screen multiplayer in your web browser assuming unity doesn't bug out and destroy everything.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:54:15 PM by Melly » Logged

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »

We have just under 8 hours left in our alotted 24 and to celebrate panic I am adding screenshot!

renkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 12:32:46 PM »

Plus a day extra. Smiley Deadline is at the end of Sunday, as far as I understand. And hope, since we won't be able to finish our game otherwise.

Versus entry: Battle Mode
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 12:51:11 PM »

Actually this is a 24 hour jam that happened to coincide with the deadline, so it's 7 hours for that time limit. We'll probably do more after that anyway, of course, but it will be nice to see what we can do in a day.

renkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 01:28:09 PM »

Oh, I misunderstood, then. Good luck with it!

Versus entry: Battle Mode
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 02:46:32 PM »

Game was finished, slept for 14 hours, got up, posted link: http://toeofdoom.com/carnivale/

Have fun, hope it's not too incoherent!

Pencerkoff
CCCP
Level 4

Hello I am Pencerkoff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 04:58:20 PM »

Hello this is Pencerkoff

Have fun, hope it's not too incoherent!

Easily the most bizarre game in the whole competition.  It is creepy and it makes me question my own sanity.

I have no advice for improvement, as at this point I have no idea what the true purpose of this game is.

-PENCERKOFF

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »

Shrug Quite incoherent indeed, then. We ran out of time before making it have any sort of "purpose", but being a 24 hour prototype there are probably multiple interesting games that could evolve from this if we decide to do so.

Although the original purpose was just a "drive around clumsily and having fun to entertain the crowd" game, it got a little sidetracked from there. It is now a "drive around smashing what we had time to hack together" simulator.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 02:16:34 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

The game was strange, with poor controls and unclear goals. Even checking the readme didn't make further plays clearer.

twitter: @docky
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »

That would be an accurate assessment of the game, yes. Shrug It's a little hard to tell what you specifically mean by "poor controls". (poor for multiplayer, poor button placement, terrible vehicle handling, no way to get "unstuck")

We submitted it because it was a versus game that we started and finished the day before the competition closed and thought "well why not?". Perhaps you would have preferred we didn't just chuck it in, if so I'll keep that in mind for next time. I'll update the webpage to reflect the unpolished complete hack nature of the game but if you found it through this thread I consider you at least partially warned.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 06:27:10 AM »

Well, the controls of the vehicles weren't very fun, and they easily flipped over. We liked the crate smashing, but most of it seemed typical of a Unity Terrain and very generic physics objects. The Mime Car got a chuckle, but mostly served to highlight the weird controls. 

We didn't have any problems getting the game to run, so this is definitely a plus.  I forget whether we used keys or pads, but that wasn't much of an issue.

Unpolished is okay, after all we're all used to ludum dare, but it would certainly help to be explicit if parts of the game are unfinished, just so we know what we're looking out for. Smiley

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:10:56 AM »

Fair enough - in all honesty it's a bit hard to say which parts are "unfinished" because with 6 people who had never worked together before we didn't really have a focused idea of what we wanted it to be. I wanted it to be something like envirobear at a carnival (the theme was "carnivale"), with a goal of "entertaining" the crowd (maximum mayhem, minimum injury). My previous attempts at 3d vehicle controls haven't gone very well and these are "better" as at least they don't bug out, but I see why they might not be that fun. Smiley

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 07:40:43 AM »

The game doesn't really make it clear whether you're succeeding or failing.  We didn't know whether the cardboard people were targets or things to avoid, or anything like that. Player feedback is definitely something I spotted as being one of the biggest problems with multiplayer games, and regrettably the conditions for testing a group of compo games tend to be rather unaccommodating to any confusion.

Everyone had the controls flip over and/or get stuck in the scenery a few times, so that certainly dampened the view of the controls. Also, perhaps because we didn't know what we were trying to achieve, we probably played in a rather aimless and unsatisfactory manner which could project itself onto the reduced experience we did have. For us it was only about steering a vehicle.

harrylee
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:28:00 AM »

Hi Dock et al, thanks so much for the feedback, and for playing what is less of a game and more of an experiment; the crazy result putting six 'strangers' into a room and giving them a theme and 24 hours to come up with something - anything, really.

I personally learned a lot from the project, and learned more still from your response to what we produced. Hopefully we will be able to do a similar thing again and produce an even better game! :D

For anybody else experiencing frustration at the game, here is the aim/goal, clearly stated: knock over cardboard targets (either with pies or by running them down) and drive through a large white arch when your coloured circle is at maximum size.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic