Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:21:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationRescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Rescue: The Beagles [FINISHED-BETA]  (Read 136109 times)
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2008, 04:19:46 AM »

Is this a Vista problem or a graphics card problem?

As it goes - it runs fine for me on Vista, with a GeForce 8600GT.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2008, 04:37:58 AM »

Is this a Vista problem or a graphics card problem?

As it goes - it runs fine for me on Vista, with a GeForce 8600GT.

Good to hear that Smiley
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

Thanks, Orel.

The title screen will be reworked somewhat for the final release.

I see printing the number of remaining parachutes/ropes above the player when they are used is not as effective as it seemed at first. It's still easy to lose the track. I'm thinking adding the backpack and a piece of rope to the player avatar might be the best solution for the problem after all. It needn't be too noticeable. Just a subtle difference in the sprite that player will learn to recognize as a signal.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 12:32:11 PM by nenad » Logged
Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:35 PM »

Awww...how cute! Really enjoyed the game. I loved the controls, overall the feel of the game was really nice. Great job!

diaskeaus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 10, 2008, 05:00:58 PM »

I was pretty suspect at first, but after playing through most of the entries, you've got my vote.  Really nice job.  Smooth, cool concept, and well-done.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2008, 09:36:37 PM »

*how much i love this game
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »

I wish Annabelle would fanart my game. ;.;

nenad consider yourself lucky.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2008, 02:17:56 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Annabelle, this is so... well... umm... awwwww... Shocked... awesome beyond words! Kiss. You made my day... no, week... wait - month! I spent all of the morning just staring at the picture giggling. It catches the vibe of the whole thing so accurately. It's simply hard to believe how masterfully you interpreted the sprites and transposed them into a full drawing. Very evocative. Likes, likes, likes! Kiss. This is not really a fan art, more like a commercial grade package artwork.

I love the toxic atmosphere, the cuteness of the dogs, the contrast between doctors and the characters and the sense for details, like how she's cheerful and he's a little bit fed up and tired of all that dog business but puppies still adore him... A lot of talent you've got there Wink

During the development I have actually had some ideas about doing something like a "box art" myself but at the end I gave up because it seemed too small a game to be worth the effort. Believe it or not I envisioned the composition exactly like it is in your artwork; Two of them standing at the bottom holding puppies, enemies stacked above in a threatening fashion and the landscape, taken directly from the game, in the background.

This is like somebody had read my thoughts and turned them into reality Cry Kiss

I'd like to use it as a splash screen (until we print the boxes Wink), if I may.

Now excuse me everyone, I'm going to go and spend the rest of the day looking at the picture.

Cheers Annabelle Beer!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:19:41 AM by nenad » Logged
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 12, 2008, 02:27:40 AM »

<33333333333333333333333333333333333

im so glad you like it

and of COURSE you can use it!

id be so incredibly honored!

also i REALLY hope you do add to the game, to include the quirky story into gameplay.
i continue looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:30:07 AM by Annabelle Kennedy » Logged
aesqe
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2008, 02:50:22 AM »

wow Shocked

that's... freaking awesome, Annabelle, that's what it is! Beer!
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »

This is fantastic. You definitely have my vote.
Chronize
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »

Annabelle has inspired me to make fanart for this game too.

This game rocks. You got my vote.
skyy
Level 2

[ SkyWhy ]

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2008, 08:02:08 PM »

Absolutely awesome with the great art and all.

Nice! Good job  Gentleman

Pip
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2008, 08:12:19 AM »

I was getting seriously frustrated with the convention-breaking gameplay to start with, and nearly gave up, but I pushed on and man was it worth it. Pick of the compo for me so far.

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2008, 02:27:56 AM »

You know, I think I've already posted about how much I like this, but, what the hey. I didn't mention how Fantastic the Primarius is. Enemy of the Year. The Vivisectors are great too- scooping up puppies WITH voice acting (yay!), but, when I'm playing and a Primarius enters play, he can kill me by proxy. I use all my attention to NOT be killed by one, and slip up in some other manner.

Something about the animation, or the behaviour, or the sound- whatever it is, he oozes menace. I only killed one yesterday. Reminds me of when I was little, and was genuinely scared of the occasional boss or enemy. Final boss of Jazz Jackrabbit comes to mind. And Knuckles' final boss in Sonic 3.

Anyways, well done!

And Annabelle, that piece is far too excellent. It's like the game has come to life! Um, moreso than it already had.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2008, 03:00:23 AM »

Reminds me of when I was little, and was genuinely scared of the occasional boss or enemy.

i remember, and miss those days ;-;.. they were a long time ago...

(and for the record this game is still awesom)
jbrodack2008
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »

This game is worth creating art like that for as its simply a great game even without considering the PG element of it.  I love how the PG element is just an essential part of the gameplay and not just some novelty.  It lets you have a huge amount of kind of levels without having to make each one yet they actually feel like they could have been made by hand the procedural generation is so well done.  The game is quick and simple yet very unique and really requires full concentration.  I hated the falling deaths at first yet once I started to be able to judge distances. look out for parts where the planes come close to intersecting, and be able to wisely use parachutes/rope I loved the mechanic of it. 

You have it up as "beta" yet I really don't know how you could improve it.  I usually like to give ideas for homebrew games but I honestly can't think of any without possibly ruining the perfect gameplay you've created. great job nenad

also Annabelle thats some great art for a great game that already has great (though obviously less detailed) art. good stuff.
RichVreeland
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »

among other things, in the final version the music will loop seamlessly Smiley

clearly as one who did music for it this brings me great joy Grin
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2008, 10:42:30 AM »

Thanks again for all the feedback, people! It's appreciated.

also i REALLY hope you do add to the game, to include the quirky story into gameplay.
i continue looking forward to it.

The story will not be exactly interwoven with the gameplay but it'll be there. Mostly to out the need for the readme file. Most people, myself included, tend to have a hard time having to read the readmes Smiley

Annabelle has inspired me to make fanart for this game too.

Awww stop it. I'm not sure I'll be able to handle this amount of fandom Tongue
Seriously thoug, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2008, 10:43:30 AM »

I was getting seriously frustrated with the convention-breaking gameplay to start with, and nearly gave up, but I pushed on and man was it worth it.

I'm glad you persisted. If by 'convention-breaking' you mean dying from falls then yes, it feels a bit frustrating at first.

I'm not much of a platformer fan to begin with. I fully agree that death-falls are extremely annoying in games that are predominantly about jumping. They are rightfully considered ~deprecated~ in that context.

This is, however, not a typical platformer. I don't even consider it to be one at all. Great deal of the gameplay is concentrated around pathfinding and learning to read the terrain. Not really a canonical platformer mechanic.

Early on I decided I wanted the game to be about choosing the optimal path in time-critical situations. The whole mechanic kind of evolved from there. So in order to make that work with the concept of layered terrain I needed to make switching layers harder/impossible as the height difference gets larger. For going up, it's easy, just limit the jump height. For going down, however, the only seemingly natural choice was penalizing by death. Having some kind of "harmless barrier" would just seem awkvard in the case of descending. More so because we're dealing with a figurative representation of the outdoor scene.

If the high falls were allowed, as some people were suggesting, then the whole movement scheme would go seriously out of the balance because it'd make descends a lot easier to do then climbs. Then, naturally, the high jumps should be added to counterbalance. Now we're closer to the regular platformer movement scheme (to which most people are accustomed to) but the path-weighting aspect would be completely lost, making the game lose a good deal of it's juice. Same goes for the infinite number of parachutes and ropes. I think the way the game works now, there's much more depth to the gameplay, even though you need to overcome some initial bits of frustration. But this frustration is coming from nowhere else but the expectations of stereotypical platformer movement. As soon as you realize the game is not about that at all everything starts to fall into place. At least I hope so Smiley
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:50:05 AM by nenad » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic