Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:48:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[!!DEMO!!] Chaos Stream - fast paced shoot 'em up in ASCII
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [!!DEMO!!] Chaos Stream - fast paced shoot 'em up in ASCII  (Read 7848 times)
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:55:27 AM »

Finally got this demo done. A new video will be up in a few days, but for now, have some screenshots and a link to the game Smiley

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8626299/ChaosStream.zip

Well, changes of mind and fits of inspiration along the way have altered that - maybe the scoring system is influenced by Sin and Punishment 2 (another Treasure great), maybe I just don't know how to stay on task.

Whatever this game will eventually come out as, at the moment it's still a very WIP "Chaos Streams". I think it's at the point now where a video might show... at least somewhat, where the game is and where it may be heading:

And some screenshots (slightly outdated)

For those interested, the game is being developed in C, with the amazing libtcod library - I highly reccomend it, even if not developing a roguelike, it has lots of modules useful to any game.

So, what's left to do?

At the moment, there's no formal level structure, high score table, main menu or any of that nonsense, So I suppose that's a priority. I'd also like to impliment some sort of boss module, but that will be quite a bit of work I think.

let's say...
-level structure and levels
-sound and music
-bosses
-player death
-high score table
-more enemy and shot types
-more explosions
-whatever else needs doing
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:27:02 AM by Stargoat » Logged
Chris Pavia
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 10:12:09 AM »

Looks beautiful, but also confusing! Doesn't the trail following the player make it tough to see which one is actually the ship when things get hairy?
Rainchild
Level 0

(define schedule (lambda (hour) 'programming))

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:15:21 AM »

When I first watched the video, I thought that it was unnecessarily confusing. After watching it a second time, I can see how it could be playable (and fun!). Good luck, it looks like a really neat title!

~Rainchild
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:35:49 AM »

Very hectic and fun. Really like the colorfulness.

I found the player hard to follow in an earlier version too. It's the area of the design that I think will take the most adjustment to get the difficulty just right.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 03:57:07 PM »

Ah, I wouldn't consider anything in there to be final, by any means. Yeah, I'll have a look at the trails at some point, induce a bit of clarity there.

When I first watched the video, I thought that it was unnecessarily confusing. After watching it a second time, I can see how it could be playable (and fun!). Good luck, it looks like a really neat title!

Heh, after a while of playing, you begin to "see the matrix", I think. I agree that it looks quite visually confusing in the beginning - but I kind of like that.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:00:41 AM by Stargoat » Logged
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 04:33:37 PM »

Looks sweet! Where is the demo?! Wink

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

I'll get something out once I have a "proper" level done Smiley (and maybe a boss!) ((And all that other stuff))

to answer your question i dont know
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »

Wow this is cool, I like it. also the music is fun.  Gentleman

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »

This looks awesome. I want a demo badly.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »

Wow this is cool, I like it. also the music is fun.  Gentleman

The music is by nyarla, creator of

. As I haven't written a music handling module yet, that was just put over the video.

This looks awesome. I want a demo badly.

Thanks man Smiley. I checked out your game, Iliou, looks cool too!

A demo will be out at some point...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 07:29:20 AM by Stargoat » Logged
richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 08:06:35 PM »

This looks amazing. Also the character set made me feel like I went back in time.

nyarla
Level 0

what

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 11:01:30 PM »

so pretty Smiley

about the visibility of your ship.. what about making it bigger than one character? if that would work. like give it wings on the sides, or a field all around it or something, purely as a visual aid - you could still keep the small single character sized hitbox.
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 11:03:33 PM »

Made some progress on the boss module today. The wing segment moves with the main segment and both can be targeted and destroyed individually.

There are a few issues with the module though, mainly due to the wing not being destroyed properly if the main segment is - annoying. I tried a few fixes, but they ended up crashing the program!

Also, this module (and the program as a whole) is getting a bit out of hand, especially since all of the enemy behaviours and graphics are hard-coded, haha. The more you know.
wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 02:01:52 AM »

Just watched the trailer: I like the graphics a lot, very classy, but the music is a little bit jarring IMO WTF
Bonne continuation  Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

Rainchild
Level 0

(define schedule (lambda (hour) 'programming))

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »

but the music is a little bit jarring IMO WTF
I agree, the music is pretty bizarre. Is it created in real time based on events happening in the game?

~Rainchild
Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »

No, as I said, it's by nyarla, and was just something I slapped onto the video.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 05:32:09 PM »

Kiss Epileptic Kiss

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »

Haven't had much of a chance to work on it this week, but...

-I got music and sound working (now I just need some music and sound)

-fixed up player movement (won't make double trails anymore)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 02:45:46 PM »

I think you should use an ambient atmospheric soundtrack, and on top have a simple generative audio system driven by actions in the game. Even if it just uses ship explosions to play the next tone in a random sequence of notes in a slowly changing key, I think it could work..

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »

Interesting idea. Not sure I have the technical know-how to pull it off, but it's certainly something to consider.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic