Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:20:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Sooo... how many of you have ditched the online mode to meet the deadline?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sooo... how many of you have ditched the online mode to meet the deadline?  (Read 7125 times)
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »

I was just wondering... how many of you have planned to have online play mode in you Versus compo game and finally ditched the idea and sticked to offline play just to meet the deadline? Or maybe you've managed to get both modes done?

For my game, TTTCW, I was planning a whole damn heck of an online mode, with lobbies and various game modes (say, 8-player tournament where players fight sequentially in pairs while others can watch and chat and a winner from each pair advances to next round and so on) but after initial fiddling with Player.IO and analysis of the amount of work needed to do it the way I imagined and to gracefully handle all the edge cases (players/watchers joining the room, choosing 8 players for tournament, players dropping, players reconnecting, players lagging, etc.), I've decided to just stick to the offline play with the simplest game mode possible.

That is not to say that I totally abandoned the idea of online play. I'm planning to give it a one more go at some point (although I'm not quite sure that such a game as TTTCW, where each millisecond of control counts, would be appropriate for an online play).

And what are your experiences and thoughts after you got your game done?

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:56:09 AM »

Knew I had no time and knowledge to make online work, and designed the game specifically around splitscreen play from the getgo.

This meant a more chaotic, less tactic game, as it meant I needed to use less keys per player (so useable items became powerups instantly used on pickup) and traps couldn't be invisible to other players (you can just see them on the other part of the screen, after all), so I specifically banked on the obfuscating power of chaos and made the game faster.  Smiley
renkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:46 AM »

We designed our game for local play, remembering good old hotseat games where you could smash your opponent in the face with the controller when he was too good, because he's sitting right next to you. It's best played with two gamepads in front of the computer, but we have vague plans on a more developed version with network play, and new gameplay features.

Versus entry: Battle Mode
RSD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 06:04:23 AM »

Well we did it the other way around, i actually started with the network code (using sockets and c#) and when it was working properly i started adding functionality to the game. The deadline did make us drop some features though :\

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »

I managed to get both done despite having no knowledge of coding for online. I guess it helps that it's a turn based game though.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:01:37 AM by Sean A. » Logged
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:37 AM »

I ditched the gameplay to get online mode working.  Giggle
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:11:39 PM by J. Kyle Pittman » Logged

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

I did however I was saying from day one that "I will be putting no effort into networking" and would only do networking if I had extra time at the end. I did not have extra time at the end (and in fact had to ditch the music, which I had been excited about  Sad )

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

I ditched the gameplay to get online mode working.  Giggle

Sadly, so did I.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:53:06 PM »

pretty much the first thing I did sadly. I spent a few days designing and programming a lobby screen (it's in there, just unreachable) and worrying about how the menus would work for two players simultaneously and ended up saying, fuck it, local only.

for the game I ended up making vs. what I originally conceived, losing online play really wasn't that big of a deal.

Izzimach
Level 0

Immersed in Phlogiston

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:58 AM »

I kept online play but only because I threw out all those fancy things like lobbies and server lists.  You connect and it throws you into a game with other players, or with no players Tongue

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »

Had to. Real life intervened yet again.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Anaryu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 02:13:54 PM »

We overstretched on art resources instead of programming - would have liked more time to polish the networking of course, but pretty proud of everything I learned and managed to implement.

Even got to add in some networking features I didn't think of like public hosting and game listing.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 05:24:40 AM »

I started the game thinking "Well, if I have the time, I'll look into adding an online mode", then I spent a lot more time than I predicted fixing bugs. :/

I still intend to make a new version with online support.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:01 AM »

I didn't really plan on implementing online play, and thought I could add it if there were time life. Instead, I finished a little ahead of schedule and just decided to relax.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »

I started with the intention to make the game have only online multiplayer, and why, I did!

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:02 AM »

I started with the intention to make the game have only online multiplayer, and why, I did!
that too

santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 02:19:11 AM »

We had an online demo running but it was so buggy that we scratched it and invested the last few hours in building a fake AI for practice SP mode.

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 02:59:04 AM »

I had the online working, but found it would only work via Hamachi unless I implemeneted UDP punching - which I couldn't find any help about doing. It was a great shame, ended up not entering in the end.

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »

I wanted online for mine, but I ditched it. I probably could have added it but I got lazy and didn't work on the game for a month or so. Sad

Online would have helped but I find it pretty enjoyable even local. :D

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »

My game wouldn't work without screen peeking.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic