Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:43:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueline
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Rogueline  (Read 35699 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:06:41 PM »

Rogueline

Premise: you are a hero sent out to defeat a monster. You travel ahead battling monsters and when enough are killed the Boss will attack, How strong will you become before you must face the boss?

Rogueline is a RPG that's based on the genre of card games like Munchkin and Thunderstone.

Give it a Try! (3.34MB)

Check the end of this Devlog for updates and new developments.

The Below is where this idea actually started.
Jason casts Idea Necromancy...
Its Super Effective!!

so a long time ago I was working on a game called Tile Quest that I just couldn't get quite right. well I started working on a game for Android thats kind of a mix of  a bunch of different stuff and thats when it hit me. I could reuse a lot of the ideas I previously had on Tile Quest. so heres basically what I have now

Premise:
The player runs along and taps the screen to jump. they must dodge enemies and also environmental hazards like the water above. they have the Attack bar and once it fills up they can run into an enemy killing it, but if they hit an enemy without a full bar they die (I have hearts now, but I am going to change it to one hit kills). thats it for now and here is a flash demo as I am coding this with flashpunk

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1299374468

refresh if you die.

P.S. The name is temporary till I think of a good one.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:10:02 AM by JasonPickering » Logged

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:44:42 PM »

Oh, this looks nice. I loved the sprites from TQ, but their sheer static-ness kind of bothered me. This looks to fix that.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:18:19 AM »

I cants believes me eyesiz!

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »

Yay!  I was really sad when Tile Quest failed to materialize, so I'm quite excited to see this.  The sprites are just delicious.

FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »

motha of gad!

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »

Alright. glad people remember the original.

so heres what is currently going on. the above Swf is just a prototype. so now its back to the drawing board to build a more structured code for the ideas I have later. I have to rewrite my code to allow the randomization I want. my goal is to have lots of levels, with 4-5 different bad guys per level. 2 being in the level at a time.

and for anyone who has not seen, here is Monster Roll call. a lot of these will be redone, they are a little bland color wise and I want to have 2 frame idles for most of them although its very hard with such few pixels. I also need them to fit into 20x20 squares, so any of the big ones will probably be either shrunk or reworked as Bosses. let me know which ones are your favorites. Also I plan on having an Encyclopedia where the player can see each enemy they have encountered and any places they have traveled.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »

Well Guys, the engine is caught back up. my goal is to have what you see above, plus a Boss for the fields very soon.

I am looking for people who are able to test on Android Devices, so if you can and would like to let me know and I will get the APK over to you.

The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 09:31:43 PM »

Hey I have an android phone, and some experience in qa. I'd love to check it out!
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 05:06:31 AM »

Well Guys, the engine is caught back up. my goal is to have what you see above, plus a Boss for the fields very soon.

I am looking for people who are able to test on Android Devices, so if you can and would like to let me know and I will get the APK over to you.

I have an EVO 4g here that I can test on!  Would be happy to.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »

Those sprites are lovely!  Kiss
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »

Are you going to use air for android?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 12:03:29 PM »

Sorry guys I have been sick lately and haven't been able to do much work. I have the first level in and working on a boss battle now. I started with a classic enemy too

I am having trouble making boss battles fun though. right now the slime shoots goo, you jump over them and if your attack bar is full you deflect them. 3 deflects and the boss is dead.
not as fun as I had hoped. I might scrap boss battles all together, but leave the code place holders in until I get a better idea.

Moi: yes I am using Air for Android. although I haven't got anything running on a device, getting stuff to the emulator was super easy, but the emulator has a terrible frame rate.

DeadPixel and The Hug: I will contact you when i have a build I am okay with.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 04:54:52 PM »

Alright so I needed an opinion on this so I am trying to make boss battles fun and still use the mechanic of just tapping the screen. so I had an idea something like this.

basically you get a bar that goes up very fast and you tap to stop it. if you stop it above the line the boss loses a heart, if not you lose one heart. different bosses have the bar at different heights and different heart counts.

any comments?

Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 04:32:45 AM »

Seems like a significant break from the way the rest of the game work, I think. If possible, I would like something closer to the normal combat, only harder.
The Hug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »

Oh pickles. I just realized I have probably the one Android phone without flash support, which means no AIR apps. Game looks nice though!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »

Yeah you need Android 2.2 or Higher.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 04:33:19 PM »

Alright!! Saturday update. engines been completely redone to condense stuff and get rid of unnecessary code. today was spent working on environments but now i feel the field (spot 1) and the cave (spot 3) need lots of work. these were the first ones I had finished and seeing the other ones they are pretty week. I think the Graveyard is my favorite with the forest being second.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 04:13:57 PM »

Alright guys so heres the deal.

The guy running and dodging enemies was super fun and I spent more time then I should have "Testing", but the RPG part that I wanted didn't make any sense. It felt very shoehorned in. so I took the code and tucked it away in a nice Zip file so I will have it later but wont be tempted to keep playing with it and I started with my original idea of "MAKE AN RPG!!" I took my new ideas and what I had drawn, I put it on paper and tested everything out as a paper prototype and Everything seemed to work fine. so heres what we have

Basically the world is a string of Random Battles. In the bottom Corner you can see the Last Current and Next Room. You will have to march to the right to get to the boss and do battle to win. there will be no XP instead the game will work with different swords and shields. A sword increases attack and a shield will increase health. also there will be shops for gear and a hunger gauge (can you tell the green bar is a Chicken Leg) to keep you moving. Spells will be in the game but they will be one time use Stones. Right now I have:

1. World Generation
2. Random Enemies
3. Basic Combat
4. Working UI
5. 7 Different Enviroments
6. Modular engine so I can easily add new enemies and enviroments

next I plan to implement
1. Finalize Combat
2. Add Items.
3. Add random drops
4. Add Boss Monsters
5. small animations for all characters.

Sorry for the wall of text. what do you think.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »

Alright the official name for this will be "Rogueline"

I have been working on lots of art. Here are a few sprites with a simple idle. The idle is based off of something Oddball had made when helping me in the pixel thread, then tweaked for the different characters.

I have a few copies out for test and hopefully I will be able to tell you about the music soon. I will probably put up an alpha to get a broader range of testers.

P.S. everyone seems to love the cleric/pope one.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 06:56:30 PM »

What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.
Da-da-dadada-da-da-dadada-da-da-da-da-dadada
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic