Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:36:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWGRealms 2
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WGRealms 2  (Read 5206 times)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:51:27 AM »

In WGRealms 2, Duke Nukem fires homing rockets at a Cyberdemon who has a plasma rifle and when it explodes twice its body's supply of blood and organs fly out in all directions in a glorious hommage to nineties first person shooters.

We could go on for days about its use of resources from other games but I am so over that. This is about how damn cool the game is. I thought that version 1.1 was off the hook but v1.2 attaches proximity mines to it and uses the explosion to swing through the window whilst shooting lightning and minotaurs. This is basically the game that I've wanted since I was sixteen. The guns are spot on, the monsters despite coming from a bunch of different games fit well with each other which is either surprising or telling of the tastes of game designers and there's the exact amount of gore that I've been looking for. And the levels are huge and are very much "of the era".

I'm talking levels that are even bigger than the levels in something like Jedi Knight which had massive levels. Seriously, you could complete three episodes of DooM in the time it takes to get through Chaos Realms alone. It can be a bit much at times but you get, like, ten save slots. Take a break, have a shower, go play some Outrun 2006 and fall asleep in the afternoon sun then get back in there and frag some more undead battle skeletons.

Watch the trailers on its Mod DB entry, look at some screenshots and if you aren't totally pumped by the end nothing will get you in the mood. Well, maybe that minigun. Or those pipe bombs.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 03:24:12 AM »

And here I was thinking that there would be people who would have dug the shit outta this game. Man did I guess wrong, I can really pick 'em.

Ahem, so in this post Duke Nukem Forever world this requires a comparison. From what I have seen of DNF (and only seen but I think that I can come to a conclusive idea on how much I would enjoy this game in particular) WGR2 is looking like the kind of game that we should have got sprite rips aside. You thought that Terraria was controversial well it ain't got squat on this.

But man that Cyberdemon boss, is he ever huge. Those Death Wyverns can fuck right the hell off though.
cullinaire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 04:30:49 AM »

See you're confusing things: all sprite rips are not ripped into equally here. People here could care less that the game mashed DN3D and DooM together other than whether the game itself is awesome or not. But steal a few frames from an NES era game and juxtapose it to the current indie sensation known as minecrafty games and WATCH OUT!

A cyberdemon has nothing on the resulting firestorm of nerdragery.

Explanation? Not necessary...you've been here long enough you can figure it out.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:57:18 AM »

Why compare it to DOOM? It looks more Quake-ish, judging from those videos.
Zecks
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:46 AM »

this is the best thing i played in ages but i didn't bother to reply for some reason.

the style is really unique (and i mean holy hell goddamn) and they couldn't really go wrong with the oldschool mechanics, because for some reason, mods, hacks, tributes and such only keep getting better unlike everything else. if i could i would go on a wall of text about how awesome they are.

10/5 would play again

indy games are a bull shit
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »

yeah I've played it briefly but it was really fun. Looking forward to picking it up again.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 03:02:08 AM »

really really want to play this coop online, and remove the idea of Duke nukem forever.
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »

Just played it for some time. Really great fun game. It does indeed start slow, but once you get the Shotgun it totally picks up the pace. So far it was very much Doom-like with cool RPG elements and some more creative features Smiley

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

Playing this at the moment, I'm very impressed. Does Mr. Silverman know about this project?
Leukbaars
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 09:11:49 PM »

This rules O__O. The beginning is a bit confusing and I got stuck a few times, but man the combat feels great!
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »

Wow. I've played through the Siege Breaker episode, that was really cool. But, only after that I've read that playing through the Castle Demonhorn episode unlocks Jedrik Demonhorn, the knight character. And wow, playing as him is so very fun! You have a bunch of melee weapons with unique abilities and a bow with several types of arrows. It still plays like the classic shooter it is, but the melee combat forces you to play much more offensively than you usually can with all the long-range weapons, and it's just a blast playing like that.

I can only recommend you give Jedrik a try. Play through Castle Demonhorn, on the lowest difficulty if you must, it's worth it Smiley

Here's the guy in action:

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:33:01 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic