Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028437 Posts in 41287 Topics- by 32906 Members - Latest Member: worstbreakfast

July 31, 2014, 07:32:38 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral9.0 Earthquake in Japan
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Author Topic: 9.0 Earthquake in Japan  (Read 21118 times)
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2011, 09:24:44 AM »

I'm not worried about nuclear power, just the nuclear plants that are older than me.

These modern plants are so durable they could withstand a 9 quake and a tsunami. In fact, there are two more power plant complexes near Fukushima and they're fully operational. One of them is even closer to the epicenter.

I don't understand panic mongers. I don't take risks, which is why I don't approve of half-assed management of obsolete plants. Roll those 3+ gen plants out, screw the older generations.
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »

Cesium is the new CO²

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »

I think uranium belongs to the top-tier of dangerous things. Neither the explosive dangers nor the long term dangers should be underestimated.

of course, but as that article i quoted mentioned, the danger from natural uranium, which we can't do anything about since it's part of the earth's materials, exceeds the danger of nuclear plant waste uranium by many times. did you read that part about how if all the radioactive nuclear waste in the US were put directly into the colorado river rather than stored in containment units, it would still only be 1/20th of the natural radioactiveness in that river, from natural sources? and putting it directly in the rivers is not even what is being done with it

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2011, 10:49:17 AM »

I'm not worried about nuclear power, just the nuclear plants that are older than me.
where do you live and how old are you? because every single u.s nuclear power plant started construction in the 70's or earlier
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

yeah definitely -- there's one like that even in new jersey. which is, paradoxically, why *fear* of nuclear power actually makes it *more* dangerous. it's hard politically to build new nuclear power plants in the US because people fear them so much. but because of that fear the old, dangerous ones aren't being replaced by the new, safer ones.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »

also the absurdly enormous coal/oil lobby and the fact that buying public officials is now protected free speech. i am Shuma Borat. Hyper Mystic Ray. Very Nice.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2011, 12:08:35 PM »

Yeah, but you could make the same claim that wind farms are bad because they kill millions of birds and affect wind patters, or that hydroelectric power is bad because you have to create dams that cause significant ecological change. (Colorado river anyone?)

Colorado river?  I think China's Three Gorges dam is a better example, as scientific exports think the reservoir's massive size is affecting the tectonic activity in the area, among other things.

I think people are more concerned with a lack of constant efficiency with wind-power, though.  Most of the time that I see those things, they aren't moving at all.

Geothermal electricity, though, looks like a decent alternative to coal and oil plants.  It apparently still vents out harmful gasses, but nowhere to the extent of coal and oil.

supershigi
Level 7

No Yoshi is an Island

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »

Nuclear Boy

Laura Shigihara | Composer and Game Designer
Facebook | Youtube | Twitter
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »

:

i liked it but i felt the end was a bit too reassuring! it's like, you shouldn't lie to kids and tell them everything will be fine if you aren't sure yet, cause then they'll never trust adults again!

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2011, 07:29:53 PM »

Earthquake Journalist Wall of Shame

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »

Shocked

WTF

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
Mar
Level 1

Bat-Llama

View Profile Email
« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »

So we have a cousin that lives north of Tokyo, and we still haven't heard from him. I'm sure he's ok...but I'm still worried...

"insta-fucking-ly"
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2011, 12:25:52 AM »

I looked for 11.  Concerned
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2011, 12:53:13 AM »

Wow! weaboo rage!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 19, 2011, 01:00:10 AM »

where do you live and how old are you? because every single u.s nuclear power plant started construction in the 70's or earlier

Thirty years. Middle of Europe. In fact, I live less than 40 km from the nearest nuclear plant which is operating since the year of my birth.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic