Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:57:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)VOTING
Poll
Question: Pick your top three games.  (Voting closed: March 27, 2011, 11:12:13 PM)
0space - 50 (17.2%)
Adventure Game Interpreter Combat - 5 (1.7%)
ALIANTE! - 4 (1.4%)
Apple Shampoo - 2 (0.7%)
Argue Mentor - 1 (0.3%)
ARQA - 1 (0.3%)
Atomic Rushers - 3 (1%)
Ballin' - 0 (0%)
The Battle for Planet Goonob - 0 (0%)
Battle Lines - 5 (1.7%)
Battle Mode - 2 (0.7%)
BEST GAM!1 - 1 (0.3%)
Brigands - 11 (3.8%)
Carniverse (Carnivale Universe) - 0 (0%)
Casbah - 3 (1%)
Crevice Climbers - 2 (0.7%)
A Cure for Friendship - 0 (0%)
Dawn of the Pixel - 1 (0.3%)
Demipong - 3 (1%)
Digs - 1 (0.3%)
Dodgeball From Hell - 0 (0%)
Dolls Master - 1 (0.3%)
DreamGirls' Duel - 1 (0.3%)
DROIDS - 0 (0%)
En Garde! - 9 (3.1%)
Exuberant Struggle - 7 (2.4%)
Fisticuffs: A Gentleman's Quarrel - 4 (1.4%)
FreedomGone: A New World Order - 0 (0%)
Friendly Fire - 0 (0%)
Frudglebutt - 5 (1.7%)
Gasbags at Dawn - 1 (0.3%)
Godface - 4 (1.4%)
House of Baffle - 1 (0.3%)
Jesus vs. Dinosaurs - 21 (7.2%)
Jet Pack Shooty Men - 4 (1.4%)
Jules & Verne: Race to the Center of the Earth - 0 (0%)
JumpTheGun - 1 (0.3%)
Kaya Loves Mushrooms - 9 (3.1%)
Legend of Zelda: A Link To Kick Ass - 2 (0.7%)
Low Bitrate Fighters - 2 (0.7%)
Macig - The Gambling - 3 (1%)
Masjin - 39 (13.4%)
Mineswiper - 0 (0%)
Missile Mayhem - 0 (0%)
Mustering the Titans - 0 (0%)
Orbitrail - 2 (0.7%)
Parachute Forbidden Love - 0 (0%)
Pencerkoff Starship - 4 (1.4%)
Pressers of Mental Arithmetic - 0 (0%)
Push vs. Shove - 4 (1.4%)
PvB - 0 (0%)
Quake Pong - 0 (0%)
Ragrowster - 4 (1.4%)
Railroad Duel - 8 (2.7%)
Real Time Chess - 4 (1.4%)
Rebound - 0 (0%)
Robotic Melee - 0 (0%)
Rungeons and Tageons - 1 (0.3%)
RushedSquare - 0 (0%)
Slug League - 1 (0.3%)
Shmup Fighter - 0 (0%)
The Snap - 4 (1.4%)
SOTOTOGBBB - 0 (0%)
SpaceApe Battles - 4 (1.4%)
Space Sushi - 6 (2.1%)
Spelling Wizard in Spelling Wizard Teaches How to Spell - 0 (0%)
StandOff - 4 (1.4%)
Super Cake Fight - 3 (1%)
Super Gem Brawl X Championship Edition - 1 (0.3%)
Task Manager - 2 (0.7%)
Tetris Fight Club - 6 (2.1%)
Thubalup Thubalup Thump Crack Whump - 8 (2.7%)
TKtics - 0 (0%)
Trans-Dimensional Dash - 2 (0.7%)
turtybut - 2 (0.7%)
Type Runner - 2 (0.7%)
Uncivil - 1 (0.3%)
Volcano Brothers - 0 (0%)
Yourglass: A Game of Giving - 2 (0.7%)
X-Bones - 6 (2.1%)
Xoters - 1 (0.3%)
Total Voters: 112

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: VOTING  (Read 50179 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »

It was just a lot of content to spread three votes around. I felt the run-off for Assemblee was a little more sensible: something like seven votes?

I'm just happy this competition gave me an excuse to learn something besides GML. It is nice to have The Browser Game in the ol' quiver.

|
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »

I think that the multiplayer definitely made it harder to try entries at least for me. I could only force a friend to play indie games for so long, so I voted out of the ones I played.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2011, 10:35:30 PM »

The versus aspect made it difficult to get to know, or even legitimately try the games, yes.
It was really sad to see how little attention so many of the games got during this competition...
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »

The versus aspect made it difficult to get to know, or even legitimately try the games, yes.
It was really sad to see how little attention so many of the games got during this competition...
Oddly convenient as an excuse for social gatherings though! :D

"No, you HAVE to play video games with me! It's the only way I can participate in this indie competition thing!"

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 02:29:53 AM »

122 people voted compared with 143 people for the last compo, AGBIC, and 183 people for Asemblee part 2. I'd say that's a pretty good turnout of voters considering the Versus compo got less attention than the others. Some other numbers, Versus had 81 entrants, whereas AGBIC had only 67, and Assemble part 2 had 73. Only adding that as it surprised me there where so many Versus entries compared to past compos.

J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2011, 07:53:45 AM »

For what it's worth, I didn't vote (not even for myself), because I didn't play any of the other entries. It's difficult enough trying to play through and evaluate an entire catalog of compo entries on my own time.

Seems like I wasn't the only one, either. Because my game required a connection to my server, I was able to keep track of data like how many players launched the game, how many players hosted a session, how many players refreshed the server browser, and most importantly, how many players joined another player's session. Aside from any data I may have lost when my server decided to restart itself (around the time voting started), the last number was one. One session was successfully hosted and joined. That means only two people played my game.

Now, to be fair, my entry was pretty lackluster. I spent about 5 of the 6 weeks of development time implementing a homebrew NAT solution, so there really just wasn't much of a game there. So it would be understandable if many players simply skipped over it. Add to that the barrier to entry of being a Windows-only title with an mandatory install (Direct3D Hand Shake Left Apoplectic), and it's not really surprising very few voters played it.

So my initial reaction was "Screw this; if there's a co-op compo next, I'm not participating." But then I thought maybe it was my own fault for not delivering an additional singleplayer mode or an offline multiplayer mode so that everyone could at least get a taste of the game. Or I could have, you know, made a better game.

tl;dr: Waaagh! I really just wanted to use that smiley somewhere

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2011, 09:39:56 AM »

It seems like there was enough time to make something really complex, or to get the networking stuff right, but not both. Meanwhile, honestly, I didn't play any of the network-only games, because I just went "oh, I don't have time to mess with that". My method of testing the games was to find someone to play with and then speed through as many games as possible, but then once that person was in the room with me that meant we couldn't actually play an Internet game together. Ironically if the competition had been ALL Internet games that would have made playing them all way easier, but the presence of only a few Internet based games meant "now get an Internet" was actually an impediment.

Maybe this entire concept-- ie a compo with a multiplayer component-- would work better if you just started with a really good networking/holepunching library, locked everyone to one platform (unity, Flash, something like klik n play?) and then left people to play within those parameters. If you're supplying the network library you could even do something like provide a unified tigcompo matchmaker/lobby thing so people could just meet in the lobby and try all the games in the list one by one. This does mean you'd be limiting who could participate (ie only people who can target Flash) and limiting the variety, but you'd get much more sophisticated games and the games that did enter could get more serious play...

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2011, 11:12:33 AM »

jesus crap, I tried like 75 of the games and made a little personal list of ratings for most of them for graphics, gameplay, sound, etc. and then I forgot to vote. Man I suck. For what it's worth to you creators Xoters, Space Ape Battles, and Frudglebutt should have +1 votes.

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2011, 12:44:37 PM »

Yeah, xoters is clever and Super Apes Battles is ace.

I didn't even try any game that required the internet or weird special installs, because I don't have the internet.  I was hoping this competition would leave us with fifty new hotseat games to play, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2011, 12:51:10 PM »

I was hoping this competition would leave us with fifty new hotseat games to play, but unfortunately that didn't happen.
Play Exuberant Struggle fifty times!

Thanks whoever voted for me!  9th of 58, not too shabby.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »

I think multiplayer did make the games harder to try simply because the overlap of any two people's free time is inherently less than either one individually.

We got together one Sunday to try all the games in one sitting. This turned out to be a little bit of a mistake. There were just too many to try in one day. We started using any excuse to move to the next game. "We have to install something? We'll come back to it. There's an ad? Let's skip it."

Like mcc, we put our focus on the kinds of games that there were the most of. Since most of the games required us to be in the same room with one computer, that's how we approached it. We tried our best to give as many games as we could a fair shake. Despite this, there were still a few we didn't get to.

It's party my fault for poor time management. We didn't start trying any of the games until the voting started. I think there were at least 2 weeks between the submission deadline and when voting started that I could have recruited some people to start trying games. (Although, I did feel like I needed a little bit of a break at that point.)

Generally, though, I found trying other people's games was just as valuable, from an educational standpoint, as working on my own game. It was interesting to observe just how quickly the people I played with were to dismiss a game and move on. It was a great way to observe what worked and what didn't and try to understand why.

Also, indecently, it was interesting to observe my group tended to prefer:
-cute over retro
-simple over strategy
-original over homage
-the fewer buttons the better

Obviously, we were partial to the kinds of games that lent themselves to the kind of environment we played them in. Essentially: simple, easy and clear casual games.

Wizard Hand Point Right Hand Any Key Apoplectic

Overall, I feel like we're at the end of a challenging dungeon I went into ill prepared and under experienced. If life were like a game, with a system of rewards perfectly timed to coincide with overcoming groups of challenges, I feel like this would be the perfect time for a level up.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 03:04:23 PM »

CONGRATS BEAU.  Now you have access to the exclusive TIGSource Compo Winners forum.   Toast LeftEpileptic
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2011, 06:07:22 AM »

I tried several of the games, but not enough to feel confident in voting. I think that some changes are required to make voting with so many entries more fair. Here are two suggestions:

- Limit to one entry per person. If you make several games, you have to pick one to enter.
- Two-round voting system. In the first round every forum user can rate a small subset of the games that is preselected for him. Then the highest rated games are voted by everyone in the second round.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2011, 07:26:24 AM »

My advice: don't make compo about multiplayer games (even not via internet mainly), so it won't be so hard to check them.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »

While I haven't used networking on my game but I really enjoyed trying to make an AI for the adversary.. I would like a competition focused on AI.

Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2011, 08:23:30 AM »

Hey, my game had an optional single-player mode. It would have been easy to test. Admittedly, chances are nobody noticed that given it immediately got buried by other threads and only got a reply right around when voting ended.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2011, 12:45:42 PM »

- Two-round voting system. In the first round every forum user can rate a small subset of the games that is preselected for him. Then the highest rated games are voted by everyone in the second round.

This seems like a good system. We had talked about a similar theoretical two round system but yours is much better because we didn't consider only allowing a subset of games to each user in the first round. This means only a manageable amount of games is presented to each voter at any one time.

I guess while we're throwing ideas around, someone suggested breaking the games into categories, somehow. But this is not as elegant as your proposed two round system because the number of games in each category could be lopsided.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2011, 10:26:46 PM »

I have a workable voting script that allows you to pick up to 20 things from a list of potentially hundreds, rank them, and then it sorts out a "best of" for everyone's rankings using a borda count. I use this to do a yearly "game of the year" poll, and it produces kind of interesting output since the ranking script has so much information available to it. Maybe it would be overkill for a situation like this though.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2011, 02:21:30 AM »

I was somewhat expecting to win, actually, but looking at how scarcely I updated stuff after the compo, how unfinished my game was in the end and how it was network-only, it's probably no surprise. And I agree that although the compo theme is otherwise excellent, the voting part is very very difficult in many respects.

This compo also taught me that there's nothing as annoying than losing the steam during the last two weeks. I still don't feel like working on the game, even though I simultaneously feel guilty for leaving it as buggy as it is. Droop

Congratulations for the winnanation! Smiley
My bitter grumpiness ought to be ignored.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2011, 05:03:17 PM »

I was somewhat expecting to win, actually, but looking at how scarcely I updated stuff after the compo, how unfinished my game was in the end and how it was network-only, it's probably no surprise. And I agree that although the compo theme is otherwise excellent, the voting part is very very difficult in many respects.

This compo also taught me that there's nothing as annoying than losing the steam during the last two weeks. I still don't feel like working on the game, even though I simultaneously feel guilty for leaving it as buggy as it is. Droop

Congratulations for the winnanation! Smiley
My bitter grumpiness ought to be ignored.

Grudge match.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic