Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:42:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShooter vs Spawner
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shooter vs Spawner  (Read 4082 times)
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »

Hi there !

Shooter vs Spawner, my first game, is an asymetric 2 players vertical shoot'em up. One player have a regular ship (moving with keyboard), while the other have to send him enemies (with the mouse), including bosses, with a limited amount of "money".

The shooter can choose between different ships (two, for now ; each one have different upgrades), the spawner between different classes, privileging different tactics (a lot of little enemies, or on the contrary a few big ones, or powers to bother the other player, etc).

Ships :

Some enemies :

Look a lot better in movement, a video is coming !

Abstract graphisms are mainly due to my lack of art skills, nevertheless I'm trying to make them pretty !

To-do list :
Some graphics to do, some graphics to improve
Bosses (~3 by type of spwaner)
Some spawner's powers
Some sounds, a music
Balances
More content, more content !
More modes. I'm thinking of one where a player have to defend something
An online mode, if the game have some success :p

I use Scirra's Construct, an open source game maker-like !
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 02:08:34 PM by Geoffrey » Logged

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:34:18 PM »

Hi ! This game's still in progress, I did a lot of things since, wow, March ? Ok I've been lazy, but now, screenshots !

(click for real resolution)

("vague" mean "wave")

Still looking better in movement, video still coming soon. For real.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »

Wow, what a revival! This sounds like an intriguing concept, and asymmetric multiplayer is always intriguing. I look forward to more details.

Care to elucidate some of the styles the Spawner can get, or the ships that the Shooter can use?
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »

Care to elucidate some of the styles the Spawner can get, or the ships that the Shooter can use?

Of course !

The 4 spawner's classes are (I have troubles finding names :p):
.1st one : no particulars advantages or disadvantages
.2nd : affinity for big invaders and bosses(costs reductions for big expensive invaders, costs increases for little cheap ones)
.3rd : affinity for little-but-numerous invaders (the opposite)
.4th : higher costs, but access to some powers (for now : fog and wind)

And the 2 shooter's ships are :
.Pink : multiple shots and shield
.Orange : big shots and bombs
At the end of each wave (when all the invaders have been destroyed, if the shooter isn't dead), shooter gain one upgrade (while the spawner get extra money).

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 05:19:24 PM »

this looks totally like a videopac game  Gentleman

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:09:28 AM »

This is the first time I've seen this sort of thing done in MP. Awesome! Vids will rock my socks for sure :D

Are the graphics a stylistic decision? Or are you looking for an artist?

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:34:38 AM »

Are the graphics a stylistic decision? Or are you looking for an artist?

I'll try to improve them, keeping the main style, strongly inspired by Invaders : Corruption and others well-known arena shooters.
I hope I will manage to have something a bit better than a videopac game ;p

I mostly try to have very distinguishable invaders, to have a clear screen even when it's full of elements.

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »

Gameplay video !

I'm now working on adding invaders, trying to create synergies between them (something a little deeper than shield + range attack), and balancing !

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 02:56:04 PM »

At first I thought it's another shmup that won't get my attention but hey, you have quite a nice design there. I like the 2 players idea where one is spawning and other one shooting. I don't think I've seen something like that so far.

I know that the game is still in heavy development but for the future I suggest that you work a bit more on the graphics.

Just a tip:
- Try to use fixed line width everywhere (eg. 2px) otherwise brains gets confused while watching at the big pixel ships and thin 1px lines

Once again, good game you have there, keep it going, I'll keep an eye on this one   Hand Thumbs Up Right

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »

Just a tip:
- Try to use fixed line width everywhere (eg. 2px) otherwise brains gets confused while watching at the big pixel ships and thin 1px lines

I'll try this, thanks !

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »

Hi ! I'm the new one of the Spawner team !
Like my friends, I'm not very cute, but I'm useful : I shot a laser beam that slow down the Shooter when he's under it Smiley

Now, I need you !
I'm looking for another one or two invaders like this one, that didn't shoot to kill but have a power, a function, that bother the Shooter or help the Spawner. I have a few ideas, but nothing very satisfying (for exemple, an invader that make invisible the others invaders around him).
So please, throw anything you can think of ! You'll get special thanks Beer!

By the way, the demo/alpha is coming. And a little website.

TobiasW
Level 8

This can only end brilliantly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 07:21:54 AM »

Oh hello there, cool concept! Looking forward to try it out in the demo!

Regarding ideas - I'm just brainstorming so there are bad and obvious ones too, feel free to ignore them all:
  • Healer: Heals invaders around them in intervals
  • Shielder: redirects shooter bullets fluidly away from him (which might in turn shield other invaders); the nearer they are to him, the more they are redirected
  • Router: Attracts near invader bullets, routing them through him - and THEN shooting them at the shooter player, with additional properties (like homing, more power etc)
  • Collector: Like Router, but he collects them first before rapidly fireing a lot of them
  • Martyr: Tries to take bullets for other invaders
  • Supporter: Attaches itself to other invaders (from behind), making them stronger (for example power, defense, fire rate, bullet speed, homing, additional attributes like slowing, ...). If the invader dies, the Supporter floats on to find another.
  • Parasite: Attaches itself to other invaders, making them weaker, but over time either a) generating money or b) growing in size, and at a certain size it transforms into something stronger (or generates a lot of money at this point?)
  • Combiner: Draws invaders towards each other, combining them on contact - the result is stronger than the sum of both of them
  • Retaliator: Collects dead invaders, fires them as strong bullets at the player
  • Resurrector: Revives dead invaders on contact

Don't know if any of these fits the style of your game before playing it.

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »

This is a really interesting concept.  Will it be strictly multiplayer or are you planning on including a mode where spawner or (more interestingly) the shooter are AI controlled?

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:15:20 PM »

TobiasW > Yeah I know it's difficult without testing the game, I hope I'll be able to release an alpha soon.
I love the idea of an invader generating money over the time, I'll certainly make this !
Router/Collector is great too, I'm considering it. Maybe a boss power.
Thanks for the inspiration Smiley

Paul J > A shooter AI controlled will be a great thing, I'll think about it (and about others modes or options) when the multiplayer will be complete and balanced Smiley

Geoffrey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »

Haha, no updates since last march, again, but this time I got a bĂȘta for you !

Shooter vs Spawner BĂȘta 0.1 !

It features a few new invaders (one is generating "pixels", the money, thanks to TobiasW :p), and I'm not planning to add any other to the game.

I'm now looking for testers for balancing and bug-tracking ! I'll mainly use some IRL friends for that, but any feedback will be gladly appreciate !

Some screenshots of this version :

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic