Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:16:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingZella
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zella  (Read 3190 times)
JoGribbs
« on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »

Zella is a game inspired by Darksiders, Starfox Adventures and the Tom Cruise movie Legend.

Zella is a game I made for the Experimental Gameplay Project, whose theme was being completely original in every way. I think I succeeded.

Zella is like a puzzle without a solution, an enigma without a solution, or a swiss roll without cream.

Zella is an existential study of the human soul.

Zella is a bit clever, but also a bit purile.

Zella is an art game because I made it so you wouldn't like it. If you genuinely enjoy yourself you have not understood it.

Zella is ironically the best looking game I have yet made.

Zella is a game whose controls I forgot. If you can't figure them out that is the spirit of adventure and you are playing the game right.

Zella is a game that I made in 5 days. No one will finish it and for that I am thankful. If you manage to get to the final boss you will have my respect, which is good because you get nothing else.

Zella has no music because this was a one man joint and I have no musical talent whatsoever.

Zella is available for you to play with your hands here.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:18:09 AM by Jogr » Logged
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »

Why would I play it?
You don't really go out of your way to promote it... Roll Eyes
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:19:40 AM »

I played it, got to the dungeon, exited the game after several tries in the second room, and deleted it. The inability to change the sword's direction and how hard it was to see the bats against the dark floor were the largest problems.

I've played worst, but I don't think any of them were intentionally awful.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
JoGribbs
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »

Why would I play it?
You don't really go out of your way to promote it... Roll Eyes
Hmm, perhaps my description was a tad pretentious, but I am really at odds to describe what it's 'about' so I tried to be aloof and ended up pissing you off. So sorry.

It's essentially a parody of the original Legend of Zelda that I made for the Experimental Gameplay Project, themed 'Cheap Clones'. I didn't mean for the game to be very fun but I intended people to enjoy it, and if I have failed completely in the latter by focusing too much on the former I would like to know.

I played it, got to the dungeon, exited the game after several tries in the second room, and deleted it. The inability to change the sword's direction and how hard it was to see the bats against the dark floor were the largest problems.

I've played worst, but I don't think any of them were intentionally awful.
Well at least you got as far as actually playing it, so thank you. The thing about the sword I did on purpose, but I've never had problems seeing the bats. Maybe I will brighten them up at some point.
Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

Finally, an original indie game for once. Not another one of those games like Cave Story or World of Goo!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 04:22:57 PM »

It's essentially a parody of the original Legend of Zelda that I made for the Experimental Gameplay Project, themed 'Cheap Clones'. I didn't mean for the game to be very fun but I intended people to enjoy it, and if I have failed completely in the latter by focusing too much on the former I would like to know.

yeah just a little bit. need to work on the balance between the two, otherwise it could have been a neat game. as it is now it's a bit frustrating. the option to make the screen bigger would have been nice. and maybe an explanation of the controls
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 06:22:18 AM »

Zelda is ironically the best looking game I have yet made.

What the hell's 'Zelda'?
JoGribbs
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »

Zelda is ironically the best looking game I have yet made.

What the hell's 'Zelda'?
I don't know. Sounds like maybe someone liked my game and made their own version?

yeah just a little bit. need to work on the balance between the two, otherwise it could have been a neat game. as it is now it's a bit frustrating. the option to make the screen bigger would have been nice. and maybe an explanation of the controls
I intended the game to convey what I thought of the original Legend of Zelda, so maybe people getting frustrated and giving up is something to be happy about? I don't want that to make me immune to criticism, but stuff like the random keys (as in, I picked some random keys, not that they are randomly picked by the game) for the lantern and bombs was so that when people tried to figure out what key they were on, they'd end up using one of them by accident, I did on purpose. I regret making the title screen like that as well though, because that's not really fair to the original LoZ.

The screen size thing I get a lot because I like to work small. If I change anything it'll be this first.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic