Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:26:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhy are ROMs bad?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Why are ROMs bad?  (Read 27798 times)
Theophilus
« on: March 17, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »

So, my friend recently told me he was using a ROM to play Ocarina of Time. I was like, "Dude, fyou, that's absolutely terrible.". He said, "why?". My mouth was empty. I couldn't think why they were bad, but I knew they were! The only things I could come up with are...

-They deserve credit for their work.
-The game is still being sold on the Wii's VC
-The company still makes games
-It's stealing.

He pulled the, "It's not pirating if I paid for it", and I couldn't think of anything. Why is the use of ROMs bad?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 05:06:09 PM »

-They deserve credit for their work.
why are they not getting credit? i dont understand this.

-The game is still being sold on the Wii's VC
yeah but then you can only play it on the wii. using homebrew emulation allows you to play games on all kinds of different hard- and software.

-The company still makes games
so?

-It's stealing.
no its not

He pulled the, "It's not pirating if I paid for it",
and it isnt. what exactly is your problem?
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »

It isn't, at all?

I mean unless you're using your super-powerful computer to emulate modern console games that you haven't paid for or something I can't really see an argument for that.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »

I mean unless you're using your super-powerful computer to emulate modern console games that you haven't paid for or something
which isnt currently possible.
J. Kyle Pittman
Level 6

PostCount++;

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »

It's against the EULA. As I recall, Nintendo instruction manuals always had an EULA page at the back that said something like "backup or archival copies are unnecessary and not allowed" or whatever. So there you go.

Honestly though, while I refuse to pirate commercially available games, I can't really think of a good reason not to download ROMs of old console games that aren't available for any current platform. See also: PC "abandonware." Like, if it's a problem, why not let me buy a legitimate copy? I'm more than happy to buy games on the VC, but something tells me I won't be seeing Terranigma on there anytime soon.

Kuppo
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

You know what's bad?  Paying for new games.

But really, old games stop working sometimes.  ROMs are an alternative.
Theophilus
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »

Surprised at the kinds of feedback I got. Usually when someone mentions a rom on this forum, people freak out.
jwk5
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 05:19:38 PM »

As developers find new and more complex ways to screw over their customers to spite internet piracy I feel less and less apprehensive about internet piracy.

That being said, the games I download for emulation have never affected the games I buy and vice versa. Many of the same PS1 games I play on my PC I have bought and downloaded on the PS3.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:27:52 PM by JWK5 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:08 PM »

Honestly though, while I refuse to pirate commercially available games, I can't really think of a good reason not to download ROMs of old console games that aren't available for any current platform. See also: PC "abandonware." Like, if it's a problem, why not let me buy a legitimate copy? I'm more than happy to buy games on the VC, but something tells me I won't be seeing Terranigma on there anytime soon.
Even if you legally own the original game I don't see anything wrong with it. Why pay twice for something you already own? Software isn't a physical good, reproducing it costs nothing and requires next to no effort so you're not stealing money from anyone by not buying the game multiple times.

Surprised at the kinds of feedback I got. Usually when someone mentions a rom on this forum, people freak out.
When has that happened? I've been pretty open about using my PSP for SNES emulation on this forum and no one's said anything against it whenever I mentioned it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 05:39:14 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 05:26:10 PM »

He pulled the, "It's not pirating if I paid for it", and I couldn't think of anything. Why is the use of ROMs bad?

This is kind of a "shit or get off the pot" thing. Publishers are insisting that you're not buying the game, you're buying a license to play the game. If that's the case and you've paid for a license, it shouldn't matter what medium you want to play the game on. But publishers also want to say that it's piracy and make you (re)buy a copy for a modern system, too. So far, Valve is the only company I've seen that embraces multiplatform license.

If he paid for it, I don't see why it's bad at all.

Also, if the publisher isn't selling the game, I support sharing it around. (Abandonware)

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:38 PM »

I'm personally pro-emulation for old consoles. Still, I buy N64 VC games because unlike on my PC, the emulation is perfect and I get to play it on a console, with multiple controllers. Same with PS1 games on PS3. Otherwise, I emulate NES, SNES, TG16, Genesis, SMS, GBA, etc. - and still, I have bought several VC games for some of those platforms and buy game compilations (like the Mega Man Anniversary Collection).
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »

you're a stupid baby, and stupid babies need the most attention
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 05:57:24 PM »

What works for you might not always work for others, Superb Joe.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Nix
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »

I hate comparing pirating to stealing (and the "stealing a car" analogy is the worst of all). Stealing something is a problem because it means the person you stole the thing from has to pay for it, despite the fact that you now have it. Pirating is more like sneaking in to a record store with your vinyl cutter and making a copy of a record, then sneaking back out with your new copy. The store owner still has his/her copy, but now you get to enjoy it as well. They don't have to pay for lost property or anything like if you stole a car.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 06:00:27 PM »

What? Where? roms are awesome, dude. Pretty much all of my contact with old console games was done via emulation, and Ocarina of Time is now: an old console game.

Nix
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »

imo there are no ethical problems with ROMs, but they are bad because you aren't getting the authentic console experience. Playing an SNES game isn't nearly as good (to me at least) as playing it on an actual SNES. If that's are all you can do though, there's no problem with them.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 06:04:27 PM »

So this is why you post useless crap in so many threads!

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 06:32:50 PM »

imo there are no ethical problems with ROMs

sure there are. i've some sympathy with saying that it's not that bad, but there *are* ethical problems with it, the main one being that the people who made the game don't want you to play it that way. so you're taking something they made and playing it in a way that they prefer you not play it in. so you're clearly going against the wishes of the people who made the thing you're enjoying, and doing that has ethical repercussions provided you believe that you should treat other people with respect and honor how they want you to use the things they created

as an analogy, let's say your friend gave you a mug on the condition that you don't use it to drink orange juice. he clearly said that you could use the mug for anything you want, except for drinking orange juice. an absurd request? yes. but it would still be unethical to *agree* to not use the mug for orange juice, take the mug, and then use it for orange juice.

this would not change if he were not your friend but a company with a factory that produced mugs that made you agree not to drink orange juice out of them. this wouldn't change if, instead of verbally agreeing, you just had to sign a eula saying you would not drink orange juice from their mugs.

Theophilus
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »

as an analogy, let's say your friend gave you a mug on the condition that you don't use it to drink orange juice. he clearly said that you could use the mug for anything you want, except for drinking orange juice. an absurd request? yes. but it would still be unethical to *agree* to not use the mug for orange juice, take the mug, and then use it for orange juice.

Why the hell would someone drink orange juice out of a coffee cup?

Also, something weird: I clicked quote, and noticed the quote had more text than your post.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »

it comes from editing posts

and perhaps because they have no other cup and it's easier, and perhaps because they do it out of spite and just want to do something they agreed not to do, who knows -- but if you believe it's immortal to agree to not do something and then to do it, then it seems very similar that it's immortal to agree to a eula and then to break it

of course you could argue that they're "just companies" and that breaking promises doesn't apply to them, but that's not really that convincing to me. when i agree to something i think keeping to my word is the moral thing to do, regardless of who i made the agreement with or what i agreed to. word is bond

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic