Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:39:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894111 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #2160 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »

rogue galaxy

9 hours in its pretty great

It's a really cool game, but got too repetitive for me after a while and I never finished it. Now I kinda regret it.

it has some pretty terrible characters (gay robot and scottish lizardman) and some really embarassing dialogue but i find it to be rather fun overall.

okay i lied its been the same repetitive bullshit for about 20 hours of play and i dont think its going to change /at all/ for the next 20 so im going to stop here

its pretty much a game where you mindlessly potion-tank your way through mobs of meatsacks and they don't even give me the courtesy of having unique dungeon floors (ie they use the same room or corridor 3-8 times in a single dungeon with NO CHANGES AT ALL aside from treasures get put in different corners; this gets particularly egregious in chapter 8 in the twin zerardian towers)
ink.inc
« Reply #2161 on: November 30, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »

why are jrpgs such shit
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2162 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:43 PM »

john sandoval hates japanese game designers  Gomez

The same problem is there for anime for me too, and I love specific unique jrpgs and animes, but as a whole there's so much... cultural baggage that apparently must be in any japanese created product. Gotta have big swords, gotta have hp/mp/pp, gotta have shallow references to mythology, gotta have sweat drops, gotta have gasps and colored hair and boobs and high school.

ink.inc
« Reply #2163 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:42 AM »

a list of roms i played over the last year and how i feel about them

odin sphere: really pretty, didn't hold my attention
final fantasy 9: got bored by disc 2; quit during disc 4
final fantasy tactics A2: boring, handholding garbage
phoenix wright ace attourney: good
final fantasy 10: nostaglia
valkyria profile covenant of the plume: kill all your friends, fuck new game plus
radiant historia: time travel is cool; good character designs
shadow of the colossus: enjoyed it a lot, loved the art direction, but i realized that fights were pretty facile once you figured out the gimmick
grim grimoire: shit
katamari damacy: pretty great, couldn't beat a level, rage quit
ico: tugs at my hearstrings, bad game
999: good
secret of mana: combat was super lame
breath of fire 4: pretty, boring, quit
breath of fire 5: liked the character designs, got bored 10 min in, quit
dragon quest 9: ugly as sin, boring jrpg tripe
advance wars days of ruin: great
advance wars dual strike: less great
love plus: really creepy, bad character models, shit game
ffxii revenant wings: the worst rts
suikoden tierkrissiis: dumb name
professor layton: good
monster hunter wii: why do people think that fetch quests are a good idea for a videogame
knights in the nightmare: so hard Sad
golden sun dark dawn: downloaded, sat through the 4 minute text intro, saw 10 seconds of the in game character models, shut off the emulator
final fantasy x-2: realized i couldn't 100 percent it 1 hour in, lost interest
devil may cry: terrible camera angles, rage quit
rogue galaxy: shit

pretty much every jrpg in that list has been a huge disappointment with the exception of ffx (which has nostalgic qualities for me) and radiant historia (which had time travel as a prominent feature, and pulled it off competently).

ps: everything square enix has made in the past 5 years has been garbage
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: December 01, 2012, 01:04:55 AM »

ps: everything square enix has made in the past 5 years has been garbage

But... well...

I liked The Last Remnant, at least. It's the only modern JRPG I liked that I can think of, though.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2165 on: December 01, 2012, 01:18:07 AM »

ico and sotc are not jrpgs

and if you think those games are bad you are the worst person alive
ink.inc
« Reply #2166 on: December 01, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »

i just listed all the roms i'd played in the past year

sotc is extremely memorable, just too easy once you figure out the gimmick

and ico is also really cool, and i really like the hand holding aspect, but the puzzles weren't that great, and yorda had some issues with her ai, which frustrated me enough to quit
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: December 01, 2012, 01:32:06 AM »

hipster

monster hunter fetch quests suck but pwning monsters is cool maybe you are too much a noob???
secret of manas combat isnt that great but is not that bad a game you are being cr8zy
 did you play legend of mana though to me it is one of the best games even though it does a lot of things only halfway

i liked breath of fire 4 but maybe it was cuz i was a kid and you can be a big dragon (not as good as bof3 though)
ive heard really good things about rogue galaxy as a jrpg but i cant talk about it myself

here is my jrpg recommendations
saga frontier
breath of fire 3 (you probably wont like it)
radiata stories (play it for the non main characters not for the story)

if you dont want to play jrpgs still play legend of mana
i am full of obscure weirdo recommendations

live a live on snes for a good square rpg #1 game
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: December 01, 2012, 01:36:40 AM »

also how did rogue galaxy get from pretty great 9 hours in to shit

did your favorite moe character die

or worst

she became an adult
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2169 on: December 01, 2012, 02:15:26 AM »

Told ya Rogue Galaxy gets repetitive after a while.

You should try The World Ends With You. It's the last jRPG from Sqaure Enix I thought was actually interesting, with completely original plot and game mechanics.

From more recent jRPGs, I liked Xenoblade Chronicles. It's also pretty repetitive after a while (duh, jRPG), but the plot and world were enough to make me want to finish it.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
ink.inc
« Reply #2170 on: December 01, 2012, 02:49:04 AM »

also how did rogue galaxy get from pretty great 9 hours in to shit

did your favorite moe character die

or worst

she became an adult

The really lazy level design started to become apparent. And the combat was initially rather difficult and interesting. But potions get so cheap and so powerful (+50 percent health), and revives return you to maximum health, leading to some stupid heal-tanking situations. Not to mention the fact using items was for all intents and purposes a free action (just pause and potion spam).

Playing through Suikoden V. An hour in, and I'm really liking the political intrigue. The combat, less so, though I haven't seen too much of it to be honest.
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: December 01, 2012, 02:51:01 AM »

i know following my suggestions is the one thing you hate most in the world but do give those games a try
cant take you away from moe anime into giant robots but jrpgs are jrpgs so you should still feel at home
Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2172 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:04 AM »

Fucking Etrian Odyssey man ... I've never played a Dungeon Crawler before (Or whatever the heck these kinds of games are called) but it's addicting as hell. Makes me want to design something like it.

How so? I've been playing sotc since forever and it's always been an exercise in frustration.

Maybe I just suck? Shrug

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: December 01, 2012, 08:03:07 AM »

Breath of Fire 3 is soo good. The feeling of unfamiliarity and trepidation once you crossed the ocean was nailed so perfectly.

I'm having a lot more fun with Nintendo Land on the WiiU than i would have expected. The single-player games have really challenging target scores to earn, so getting all the stamps is just hard enough to make you fight to earn them, but not so hard that you feel like they're impossible (eg, trying to get a perfect score in Bit Trip Flux). The "Team" games have target times to earn "Master" ranks that are really well chosen. The Pikmin game in particular seems intentionally designed to make you play pretty much flawlessly if you want a master rank in single player, and then with the extra firepower of a team you can sacrifice a little bit of that perfection and still just make the master rank level.

Mario U is a lot better than the Wii version. I like that they've gone with a Mario World style continuous map, and it's a pleasant surprise to find hidden inter-world shortcuts to unlock. The challenge stages where you need to beat a time-trial, or complete a level without killing any enemies are a lot of fun, and the challenge level is just right. Trying to clear the first castle without picking up any coins requires a lot of thought to pull off. If you're happy to settle for just silver and gold, the game offers a comfortable margin of error on most levels.

Perhaps the only downside is that most of the games could have been pulled off on the Wii without any significant change to the mechanics, but the hi-def graphics make it worthwhile. It's also fun when you're walking around, and you spot some well-done art drawn by another player. I hope the Wii-U's "yeah" system naturally results in those good drawings bubbling up top and appearing more often. It makes the comment system less annoying than I thought it would be at first.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: December 01, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »

If you want to play some JRPGs, then play Last Remnant or, older options,

Saga Frontier 2
SMT Nocturne
Romancing Saga PS2
any of the Front Missions
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: December 01, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »

front mission isnt a jrpg

its a robot srpg

so yes play it
ink.inc
« Reply #2176 on: December 01, 2012, 02:51:32 PM »

suikoden v has a really interesting story line. lots of political intrigue and cool characters. its not particularly written, but its passable enough.

it consists of about 80 percent cutscenes/decisions, 15 percent walking around, and 5 percent actually battling. which i'm okay with for now.
ink.inc
« Reply #2177 on: December 01, 2012, 02:54:52 PM »

How so? I've been playing sotc since forever and it's always been an exercise in frustration.

Maybe I just suck? Shrug

each boss has 2-3 obvious weak spots that you hit 3 times. the only difficult bit is figuring out how to get to them. and once you figure out the plan of attack, it's not particularly hard to execute.
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: December 01, 2012, 03:21:12 PM »

alright then john just ignore me whatever its not like i baka or anything
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2179 on: December 01, 2012, 03:25:40 PM »

difficulty isn't why that game is great

you are missing the point, whatevs
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 486
Print