Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:25:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902120 times)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2540 on: February 28, 2013, 03:53:42 PM »

@Sundownkid: I totally see the appeal, I'm probably just having a bad time because my co-op pal is playing it begrudgingly and we're on the ps3 (which from I hear, is the inferior version).

I have no fun playing FPS with a controller, I always buy my FPS or TPS on the PC, so I can't comment on that. I always played co-op with online buddies and/or strangers, and never had any problems with it.

ClayB
« Reply #2541 on: February 28, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

Understandable, console versions' frame rates take a shit very frequently.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2542 on: February 28, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »

wasteland kings

eyes all the way

i think i'm done though

keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2543 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:50 PM »

the amount of hype in no way prepared me for how much dark souls would have its hooks in me. whoever it was that first had the thought "discerning complex combat mechanics through trial and error" would make a fun game is...a genius.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:47:53 PM by keelo » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #2544 on: February 28, 2013, 08:52:06 PM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=26388.0

^dark souls discussion thread here

the game has been a pretty huge hit on these forums in particular. lots of us have done tons of pvp matches with each other, and a few have even gone through the entire game in special co-op runs c:
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2545 on: February 28, 2013, 09:14:58 PM »

I'm playing Shootmania,
I think it's really cool that the trackmania guys made a quake-like shooter, so far it's pretty fun, i need to find more time to try it though

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2546 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:50 PM »

With all the raving I hear here and elsewhere about Dark Souls, I wonder if I should skip Demon's Souls and go straight to its sequel. I'm having a lot of fun with Demon's Souls as it is, but if Dark Souls is everything it is and better, maybe I shouldn't even bother with the first one?

Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: February 28, 2013, 10:00:35 PM »

With all the raving I hear here and elsewhere about Dark Souls, I wonder if I should skip Demon's Souls and go straight to its sequel. I'm having a lot of fun with Demon's Souls as it is, but if Dark Souls is everything it is and better, maybe I shouldn't even bother with the first one?

Typically when I make an effort to play games sequentially, even if the latter makes huge improvements over the first, as was the case in Oblivion followed by Skyrim, Mega Man followed by Mega Man 2, I don't regret it. It actually enriches the experience if true, and gives the improvements more meaning. And as you said, you're having fun with Demon's Souls. If you haven't played Dark Souls, you shouldn't let the supposed improvements mean anything to you until you move on, and rightfully so. No reason to cut a fun time short. Because it would do a lot worse to go back to it afterwards, when the flaws become glaring.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2548 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:32 PM »

I never actually played Demon's Souls, though I plan to when I have time. I just have Dragon's Dogma to get through first, unless I sell that and go straight to the other  Cheesy

Dark Souls has nothing to do with the former, so it should not be a spoiler if you play it. I recommend finishing the first, though.

Dark Souls format seems to be more interesting than just a series of worlds from a hub. But, I did hear that it has more of a plot, so I will probably like it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: March 01, 2013, 02:09:19 AM »

i personally prefer dork soles but it's not that much better.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #2550 on: March 01, 2013, 02:36:17 AM »

I just play whatever engages me. Rules don't matter.
keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2551 on: March 01, 2013, 03:31:23 AM »

It's weird, I've actually been avoiding most internet discussion about it. Partially because I feel like the game is knowledge gated a lot of the time, and that it's the work that you do to find those aha moments that is satisfying. (like Antichamber! and La Mulana...two of my recent favorites...a trend, maybe?)

If I read how big the world is, or how many levels or bosses there are, or see a screenshot of some sick weapon, or some insanely beautiful dungeon, will I be cheapening the experience? Hell yeah I will. That's at least what I tell myself. Playing in a vacuum is kind of an exception these days, though. I'm probably missing some big things. I keep seeing those clues on the ground about using pyromancy, but I feel like I've combed through the areas accessible to me right now and seen no trace of how to gain it, haha.

Oh well...it's the mystery that is compelling, and this game rewards you so consistently for exploring or using your head or trying something weird or just getting lost. It gets me fired up to make a game that is firing on all cylinders like this.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: March 01, 2013, 07:21:24 AM »

just played swords and sorcery. Couldnt take it anymore and had to quit. Did not like this game at all Sad

EDIT: according to the youtube playthrough I was only 2 mins short of finishing this game.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 07:26:40 AM by InfiniteStateMachine » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #2553 on: March 01, 2013, 08:32:57 AM »

It's weird, I've actually been avoiding most internet discussion about it. Partially because I feel like the game is knowledge gated a lot of the time, and that it's the work that you do to find those aha moments that is satisfying. (like Antichamber! and La Mulana...two of my recent favorites...a trend, maybe?)

If I read how big the world is, or how many levels or bosses there are, or see a screenshot of some sick weapon, or some insanely beautiful dungeon, will I be cheapening the experience? Hell yeah I will. That's at least what I tell myself. Playing in a vacuum is kind of an exception these days, though. I'm probably missing some big things. I keep seeing those clues on the ground about using pyromancy, but I feel like I've combed through the areas accessible to me right now and seen no trace of how to gain it, haha.

Oh well...it's the mystery that is compelling, and this game rewards you so consistently for exploring or using your head or trying something weird or just getting lost. It gets me fired up to make a game that is firing on all cylinders like this.

a legitimate decision. but make sure you pop in when you do new run-throughs; otherwise i guarantee you're going to miss a ton of really cool stuff.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:16:18 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Ridley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: March 01, 2013, 10:08:30 AM »

just played swords and sorcery. Couldnt take it anymore and had to quit. Did not like this game at all Sad

Could you...elaborate, on why you didn't like it? I don't know that is a discussion thread of what have you, but I really enjoyed the game's personality, especially its writing quirks and unique puzzle-combat. My only complaint was that it inexplicably urged me to tweet about things in-game, which is something I never want to see a title do again.
keelo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2555 on: March 01, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »

a legitimate decision. but make sure you pop in when you do new run-throughs; otherwise i guarantee you're going to miss a ton of really cool stuff.

will do for sure!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: March 01, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »

Swords & Sworcery was really stylish, but I agree that mechanically it wasn't very interesting. The "puzzles" to collect the sprites were mundane games of illogical experimentation, and the random fights with the skeleton every time you left the moon grotto were annoying and time wasting. Most of the game relied on meta-observations of how you're playing the game, or slickly animated cutscenes that would have been just as entertaining in a youtube video.

I didn't do the tweeting thing, but it didn't bug me either. The way it was presented almost made it seem like the whole idea of tweeting your accomplishments was being mocked in an insincerely sophisticated tone.

My favorite part was the way the game handled your life meter - that combined with the behavior of the protagonist towards the end left me feeling that the errand was as woeful as advertised.

Had it been longer, I would have lost interest. It was one of those games you play for the experience, and not the challenge.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: March 01, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »

i found the humor in sword and sworcery pretty obnoxious tbh. it has very nice art and cool music but that's about it.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:22 PM »

Could you...elaborate, on why you didn't like it? I don't know that is a discussion thread of what have you, but I really enjoyed the game's personality, especially its writing quirks and unique puzzle-combat. My only complaint was that it inexplicably urged me to tweet about things in-game, which is something I never want to see a title do again.

Just didn't really feel like a game. I pretty much got through it clicking randomly. Kind of felt like some 90's era interactive packin to a music album. In their defense they title it like it is a music album.

That said the music was pretty good.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2559 on: March 01, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »

I was the same, I don't get why the game is so popular, I couldn't stand how conceited it all felt.
I didn't find the humor funny in the slightest and yet in my mind I could always hear the developers chuckling away at how funny they think they are being.
I know I'm probably being over critical given the games success, but there really wasn't any one thing in it which appealed to me (apparently for most people it was simply the music)

Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic