Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:43:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894399 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2640 on: March 25, 2013, 01:10:57 PM »

i liked contact right up until i got to a "puzzle" where 4 of my skills had to be a certain level and i would have had to grind a ton to get them them up to speed. havent picked up the game since.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2641 on: March 25, 2013, 01:12:43 PM »

I had acquired a copy of the Ratchet & Clank collection for the PS3 a few months back. And I had started playing the first game for the PS2 several years ago, but had gotten stuck on one level and never revisited it. Last week I pulled the collection off the shelf and gave the game another try.

I was glad I did. The overall experience of the original Ratchet & Clank was a positive one. The collection does a good job of up-scaling the title, without throwing in any overt changes. The exaggerated cartoon graphics hold up well over time. Insomniac's colorful and personality-infused creation has aged like fine wine.

If I had one major complaint, it would be some of the boss fights. They are very few, and the ones that are there feel a little lackluster. The final boss in particular was a study in frustration.

What really stood out as excellent was the level design, and the encounters for the basic enemies. These elements had been carefully crafted to encourage experimentation and flexible thinking with the game's wide variety of weaponry. This is where the game really shined.

I'm going to take a little break from the series after the first entry, but I am looking forward to revisiting R&C down the line.
I don't remember the title, but there's a series of youtube videos where two of the devs on the Ratchet games play through and provide commentary on the games. It's super interesting.

EDIT: They've done playthroughs of the second and third games. Here's the playlist for the second: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBE216F8E761D085C

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2642 on: March 25, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »

i liked contact right up until i got to a "puzzle" where 4 of my skills had to be a certain level and i would have had to grind a ton to get them them up to speed. havent picked up the game since.

haven't got that far yet. were they skills not related to combat, like cooking? i'm on an island that's occupied by a military group.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2643 on: March 26, 2013, 05:11:21 AM »

bioshock infinite is a very good game.

forwardresent
« Reply #2644 on: March 26, 2013, 07:55:52 AM »

bioshock infinite is a very good game.

I second this motion. Probably going to play more of it once I get some work done.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2645 on: March 26, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »

ya I like it, but it's not really what I was expecting. though I'm not sure what I was expecting as I avoided most of the pre-release previews and all that.

it's great but it didn't impress me like BioShock or Dishonored did. though the story so far is more interesting than those two games, the setting isn't really that spectacular. I thought Dunwall and Rapture were far more interesting places to be.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2646 on: March 26, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

It might not be as impactful as the original was in 2007 but I find the setting more intriguing than the previous entries as well as Dishonored. Sound design hugely contributes to this. I highly recommend playing the game with headphones. The whole intro of the game has astonishing music and sound design. The church was an early highlight of mine.

and

I don't think a single person did not stay for the entire song.
Only missing Everlasting Arms from the soundtrack.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:40:52 PM by Mono » Logged

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2647 on: March 26, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

the god only knows barbershop made me weak in the knees.

i think i'm about half-way through the game and i'm at a part that's starting to drag. it's the part with the guns if anyone else knows what i'm talking about.

Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2648 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:02 PM »

I think I might be alone in this but I couldn't even get through about the first 2 hours of Dishonored.  That art made me gag, over and over, and then gag, and then gag.. and then have Disney/Fable sweats. Rrreetch!  It was just not my temperature at all.... not close.

It was awful to me.

But I do have friday off, and I have plans..  to go get Bioshock Infinite and raise some of that for Easter.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2649 on: March 26, 2013, 08:10:34 PM »

the god only knows barbershop made me weak in the knees.
I know I stayed to watch the whole song. Gave me goosebumps. The sound design is indeed fantastic; I've been playing with headphones and it is absolutely worth it. I've had a few "whoa, I recognise that song!" moments.

I also love the little musical stings whenever you land a kill. Very Wind Waker.

i think i'm about half-way through the game and i'm at a part that's starting to drag. it's the part with the guns if anyone else knows what i'm talking about.
with the chinese guy? Yeah I've backtracked through the same area several times now and it's starting to grate. The tear thing was cool with the nosebleeds and all, and I do remember the original Bioshock had a lot of backtracking, but it doesn't seem to work quite as well here.

olücæbelel
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2650 on: March 27, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »

The game doesn't really make sense on the level that Bioshock the first did.  To wit, in Bioshock, Rapture was the decaying (decayed?) ruins of a society of egotists and megalomaniacs who had access to supernatural powers that drove them mad.  The plasmids make sense in the game, and in fact are the basis for all of the driving action in the game.

In Infinite, Columbia has none of these problems despite having access to similar supernatural powers.  The vigors just don't make sense.  Despite being handed out for free all over the place, very few people seem to use them.  Never mind the fact that such science created magic powers would seem to upturn the supposed "natural order" and allow "lesser people" to overthrow their overlords, which would seem to be against the will of the racists at the core of Infinite. 

Maybe this will all be explained at some point, but I doubt it.  The game is beautiful, and a decent shooter (although it's much more rollercoastery and rollicking than the more methodical Bioshock), but it hits the exact same beats as Bioshock, seemingly only because Bioshock exists not because it makes sense in the game.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:15 AM »

system shock 2 is still the best (haven't played 1 tho)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2652 on: March 27, 2013, 09:03:29 AM »

I agree. I haven't beaten it yet but I feel if they would have explained why the fuck Vigor is there they would have done it by now.

In addition some of the, for lack of a better word, 'consolization' of the game really bugs me. I'm playing 1999 mode but I can't quick save? I died at a boss and lost 10 minutes of scrounging around for loot and things because the game doesn't think to auto-save before I fight them. Dishonored did checkpoint saving right. It didn't over-write auto-saves (so instead of having to rely on one you could choose from multiple), it had decently spaced predetermined checkpoints, and a system for auto-saving every 5 minutes or so. I could live without quick-save if they had at least done a better job with their auto-save system, but currently it's just near useless. When you quit it even tells you when the last auto-save you had. It's like they knew in advance how dumb it was so they want to remind you. Even Dark Souls would at least make a new save when you quit the game.

I also really dislike only being able to carry two weapons at a time, and not being able to carry health/salt things on me. Elizabeth almost makes up for that, but she never really seems to give me enough. So most fights end up with me scrounging for salt/health in the midst of being shot in the face. It's either that or stay behind cover, pop out and shoot, then go back to cover and wait for my shields to recharge. The combat is fun, but if I were able to carry at least 4 weapons and carry salt/health things with me I would find it much more enjoyable.

For all the steps forward BioShock:Infinite takes, I feel these apparent console constraints hold it back.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »

I agree. I haven't beaten it yet but I feel if they would have explained why the fuck Vigor is there they would have done it by now.

Ok, so I just finished the game and this will kind of be explained. I don't want to say much more.

My only major issue with the game was the backtracking, starting from Fink's factory. It becomes even worse towards the end but luckily the story makes up for it.

So for those who beat it I ask:
Where exactly does the story begin? Is there even a beginning or is it all an infinite loop?

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: March 27, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »

God damn it Cry

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2655 on: March 27, 2013, 06:58:43 PM »

OK I beat it and it's confusing but I think I get it.

spoilers obviously:

The 'story' begins at the baptism. The infinite loop is created when he tries to take Anna back from Comstock after giving her up and her pinky gets cut off. The infinite loop is created when parts of her are in two worlds at the same time, and is closed when they kill Booker at the baptism before he becomes Comstock. I'm not sure why the infinite loop needed to be closed, but one voxaphone log by Rosaline implies that Robert wanted it closed but she doesn't explain why.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: March 27, 2013, 07:37:46 PM »

This is what I got:
Booker DeWitt return from war and becomes a gambling addict and an alcoholic. He pays of his debts with his child, Anna. Regretting doing this he seeks religion. The baptism is the pivotal point of the story; in one universe he accepts the baptism and becomes Comstock, in another he changes his mind. The Lutece's are responsible for bringing Booker into the other universe to retrieve Anna. Doing so he manufactures new memories. Because of the complicated time paradox stuff Booker finds out that he actually gave Anna to Comstock... eh, and in Comstock's universe Anna was still traded off but he brought her back through a tear? So that somehow created a loop... sort of. In the end he decides to kill Comstock/himself before baptism and a bunch of Elizabeth's from different universes who comes to the same ending drowns him. That is the best I can do.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2657 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:39 PM »

Close but you messed up a few things.

He doesn't meet his wife and have Anna until after he decides not to do the baptism. If he already had Anna then why would Comstock need to steal her? He seeks baptism because of the atrocities he committed at Wounded Knee.

I'm still confused at the infinite loop thing. The wiki description here of Booker Dewitt has an interesting explanation, but I sort of prefer this reddit (here) user's explanation. Which is closer to what I was thinking of.

The wiki says Booker constantly goes back and accepts/rejects the baptism and the sequences repeat forever until, in the game, after the Lucente's intervention, he finally breaks it with Elizabeth's help.

Not sure which is right, I tend to prefer the reddit user's explanation though. The wiki seems to describe it as more of a time loop, while the reddit seems to explain it as more of a spatial multi-verse loop. Which I feel is probably more accurate. But since spacetime is a thing, perhaps the wiki is more correct?
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: March 28, 2013, 07:06:34 AM »

I think I got it now. It's a very clever game. It kind of amazes me that they still stuck with this ending, Ken Levine even stated that most people might not like it. This industry is in desperate need of creative vision.

Blambo
« Reply #2659 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:08 AM »

Duperbrothers: Dwords and Dworcery.

I love the sense of scale in this game. If I had more direct action in the game, it would be so much more immersive.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic