Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:09:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894193 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: March 28, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »

Is there any way to holster your weapon in Bioshock Infinite? I feel so silly aiming a gun on someone when they're clearly no threat.

If there's a way to unequip my vigor, that would be great too. I just don't want to accidentally right click and waste half of a very precious resource.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2661 on: March 28, 2013, 01:02:19 PM »

No and I wish there was. Every FPS should allow you to holster your weapon. Doubly so if there are extended sequences where you don't do any shooting.

And no to vigors either, but I never had that issue because I rebound my keys. The default keys kinda stink. I have right mouse as zoom and middle mouse as vigor. Then I mapped melee to the E button.
Ashkin
« Reply #2662 on: March 28, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

Finishing up Anodyne. Kind of frustrating how unpolished the post-game section is, but I guess that's part of the charm.
Overall, I found the game really enjoyable. Interesting dungeon puzzles (though nothing too head-scratchy), good level design, and excellent atmosphere/art.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: March 28, 2013, 11:52:35 PM »

fyi bioshock infinite is $45 on greenmangaming, and you get a steam key etc.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: March 29, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »

Picked up one of them pink and white 3DS XLs during the Target sale along with the new Monster Hunter. It's my first time with the sieres. It kinda feels like a mobile phone game with the easy pick up and play ability with everything I do- short task, long task, or even if I do it badly- giving me some sort of progress towards the many little in-game economies. Leveling up the farm area, leveling up them fishing boats, doing guild quests, and just straight up killing things to get resources for the town. It all just feels good. I don't even mind the crappy camera controls that much. Gotta say, I'm hooked, and I haven't even hunted any of the big game yet. Really looking forward to that.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2665 on: March 29, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

Just played some Kagero. It was a lot of me frantically running around trying not to die while hoping my traps work.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:16:30 PM by saibot216 » Logged

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: March 29, 2013, 02:21:32 PM »

Oh man, I saw this once at the local game store years ago. Somebody was playing it and I didn't know what it was. Now I do!
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2667 on: March 29, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »

I originally played it on an old Playstation demo disc back when that was a thing. I haven't checked out any of the other games in the Deception series, but there is a PS2 version called Trapt... like the band...

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: March 29, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »

Ok, so I just finished the game and this will kind of be explained. I don't want to say much more.

Ok, so I just finished the game, and while I think you are technically right, I think my point still stands.  Yes, the game comes up with some sort of excuse for the Vigors or at least that the looking into other worlds explains why the crazy ass impossible technology exists, but not in a way that ties in to the mechanics of the game. 
The game does make a few deep points about games as a whole at the end, or at least my interpretation is that it does. Elizabeth's narration at the end about stuff like "There is always a man and a lighthouse" (tying into Bioshock and also that games always manufacture some quest for you) and to a lesser degree "You don't leave the room until you give him the baby" (the same point as "A man chooses, a slave obeys")

Also, I thought that the Songbird was a much more interesting design and enemy than the handymen or the annoying ass ghost mom, and would much rather fought him in earnest than either of those enemies.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2669 on: March 30, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »

Just finished Bioshock Infinite... amazing game. Probably the best ending I've ever seen in a game...  Shocked

I really can't find anything to complain about it.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: March 30, 2013, 02:06:26 PM »

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: March 30, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »

Bioshock: Infinite's ending is terrible.

Reset button endings make stories feel completely pointless. What's the point of experiencing events / people that "never existed" anyways? And why would you even let them drown you after all that, if drowning yourself basically erases Elizabeth from existence? Your entire motivation up till then is saving her. Doesn't really fit with their personalities. Even if, somehow, there's still a universe left where she lives with you, she's now growing up with some alcoholic, deeply in debt Pinkerton dude, so it's pretty unlikely she'll ever be the same person. And I don't know how you guys found the ending surprising. It's obvious from the first quote the game shows you that you're brought in from another world, and it's cemented in place after you see the 100s of heads coin flips that the ending is going to be something like this. (Not to mention the fact that it's a pretty sure bet since literally every other fucking multiverse story ends this way.)

Can we have a single fucking story that involves multiple universes that doesn't end up either a) wrapping around to the start of the story again, or b) resetting everything that happens? No, apparently this is too much to ask for. It makes everything you've accomplished in the game ultimately meaningless. And this not only trivializes the events of this game, it trivializes the events in Bioshock 1! This ending is way overdone, annoying, boring, cliched, and predictable. It's fucking stupid. And that people are eating it up so readily surprises me. This type of ending is only slightly less annoying than "it was all a dream."

Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot I like about the game. I like that it's basically a pseudo prequel to Bioshock 1, I like that they experimented with the genre, even if it's basically Bioshock: Call of Duty, I like most of the plot except for the ending, although it is mostly predictable, I like how some of the stuff is explained as them using rifts to steal stuff from Rapture / the future (eg music), the setting's interesting, your sidekick is likable, etc. The ending is still fucking stupid, though.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: March 30, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »

@Bobo, I agree. 

The game as a whole doesn't make any fucking sense.  The internal logic just doesn't hold up, which while hard for these time travel sorts of things, it's still a disappointment.
 a) Why does Elizabeth have powers?  The game explains it as her being from a different universe.  But by that logic, Booker (as the player) would have magic powers. He is from a different universe, and presumably throughout his life he has left more biological matter behind in his home universe than the tip of a baby's pinky.
 b) Everything related to Cornelius Slate doesn't hold muster.  Comstock and Booker are very different ages.  This can be explained by Comstock's machinations reaching to an earlier Booker's universe, but why then does Cornelius recognize Booker and not Comstock?  Shouldn't he recognize that Booker is 20 years (my approximation) too young to have been at Wounded Knee with him?  Would he really not recognize Comstock just because the dude said his name was Comstock?
 c) The Lutece's gained magic powers just because?
 d) The game makes you go on stupid, frivolous fetch quests (perhaps it's a point that your fetch quest to get guns doesn't actually make a fucking difference), but yet it just tells the player "Oh, you try really hard to save her, but it never works."  It feels like the player's efforts are spent in trivial ways.
 e) The voxaphones make no sense.  Honestly, the audio journal has never made much sense, but they make much less sense here.  At least in previous Shocks you come across audio journals presumably left by people panicking and running away, hence why they are just out there.  For the majority of Infinite, the citizen's wouldn't know that events were unfolding out of the status quo. Why then are there all these personal, incriminating journals around?
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:35 PM »

Reset button endings make stories feel completely pointless. What's the point of experiencing events / people that "never existed" anyways? And why would you even let them drown you after all that, if drowning yourself basically erases Elizabeth from existence? Your entire motivation up till then is saving her. Doesn't really fit with their personalities. Even if, somehow, there's still a universe left where she lives with you, she's now growing up with some alcoholic, deeply in debt Pinkerton dude, so it's pretty unlikely she'll ever be the same person.

During the game your motivation is to first find and capture Elizabeth, then to save her. When the twist comes you realize that you have change everything so she can have her childhood back. Booker says: "I'm going to smother him in his cradle" which means at the baptism. You see that Elizabeth survives after drowning Booker. After the credits you see him back in his apartment before all of this and then the game cuts out as he approaches the cradle. This implies that all was restored.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: March 30, 2013, 04:23:44 PM »

This seems like enough Bioshock talk to merit its own thread.

I picked up Bayonetta for the PS3. I'm not fond of the cutscenes being so obtrusive, but other than that the game is pretty stylish and gives me fond memories of Viewtiful Joe. The variety of combos seems like a trap, when in reality you're rewarded most for finding a few particularly useful combos that give the best output and using those almost exclusively. Once I figured that out I find myself dying far less. It's campy and over the top with the innuendo, but it's also clear the developers put a lot of thought into the scenes to keep the jokes coming, visual or spoken. The backtracking to find Alfheim portals is just a negative to me. It seems like it'll be a fun game to play and beat on Very Hard, like Viewtiful Joe or God of War.

Paper Mario: Sticker Star is a lovely twist on the Paper Mario formula. I like how you're constantly draining and replenishing your stock of attacks, so you're given encouragement to use a lot of the specialty attacks you'd ignore in older Paper Mario games. I like how it's been broken up into stages like a classic Mario game. A little structure is nice, especially when it gives the player some clear framework to develop a strategy.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: March 30, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

bayonetta is very button mashy but i actually liked that because having to learn combos is one of my least favorite things in games lol.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: March 30, 2013, 04:53:47 PM »

@Fallsburg the game actually explains some of those things. The Luteces get magical powers because Comstock kills them with one of the tear machine thingies, to make it look like an accident. Sorta like what happens with Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen, I guess. Comstock is older for the same reason that he can't have kids and is dying from cancer: too much time spent in close proximity to all the technojunk the Luteces made.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2677 on: March 30, 2013, 05:44:39 PM »

Reset button endings make stories feel completely pointless. What's the point of experiencing events / people that "never existed" anyways? And why would you even let them drown you after all that, if drowning yourself basically erases Elizabeth from existence? Your entire motivation up till then is saving her. Doesn't really fit with their personalities. Even if, somehow, there's still a universe left where she lives with you, she's now growing up with some alcoholic, deeply in debt Pinkerton dude, so it's pretty unlikely she'll ever be the same person. And I don't know how you guys found the ending surprising. It's obvious from the first quote the game shows you that you're brought in from another world, and it's cemented in place after you see the 100s of heads coin flips that the ending is going to be something like this. (Not to mention the fact that it's a pretty sure bet since literally every other fucking multiverse story ends this way.)

Can we have a single fucking story that involves multiple universes that doesn't end up either a) wrapping around to the start of the story again, or b) resetting everything that happens? No, apparently this is too much to ask for. It makes everything you've accomplished in the game ultimately meaningless. And this not only trivializes the events of this game, it trivializes the events in Bioshock 1! This ending is way overdone, annoying, boring, cliched, and predictable. It's fucking stupid. And that people are eating it up so readily surprises me. This type of ending is only slightly less annoying than "it was all a dream."

Don't get me wrong, there's still a lot I like about the game. I like that it's basically a pseudo prequel to Bioshock 1, I like that they experimented with the genre, even if it's basically Bioshock: Call of Duty, I like most of the plot except for the ending, although it is mostly predictable, I like how some of the stuff is explained as them using rifts to steal stuff from Rapture / the future (eg music), the setting's interesting, your sidekick is likable, etc. The ending is still fucking stupid, though.

I guess if you read a lot of multiverse stories and get all the signs from the beginning, the ending won't have the same impact.  I had no idea of what I was getting into so it had a huge impact on me. Btw could you recomend me some other multiverse stories? Smiley

And sorry but it's not Bioshock of Duty, seriously. While still a little more linear than Bioshock it still gives the player a lot more freedom then 99% of FPS today. I got lost a bunch of times going around the map searching for hidden stuff, the level design is a lot closer to old school FPS. But it indeed has that urgency feeling that COD has during the gunfights, and I like that, love that they were able to combine those two things.

e) The voxaphones make no sense.  Honestly, the audio journal has never made much sense, but they make much less sense here.  At least in previous Shocks you come across audio journals presumably left by people panicking and running away, hence why they are just out there.  For the majority of Infinite, the citizen's wouldn't know that events were unfolding out of the status quo. Why then are there all these personal, incriminating journals around?

While I agree that in Bioshock they made more sense to exist and to be just thrown around the city, they serve the same purpose here: tell more about the city, the characters and what happened before Booker get there. Most of the doubts I've seen people having about the game are explained on them.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: March 30, 2013, 06:59:11 PM »

If I list other stories that had similar endings, it'd spoil those stories, too  Shrug

edit:
also it's not necessarily just a multiverse thing, it's more of a time travel and / or multiverse thing.

I wouldn't read the list cuz it might spoil some otherwise good stories for you (and idk about you, but this is the type of ending that makes me not want to bother reading the rest of the story), but here's some popular stuff off the top of my head that has a similar ending:

Donnie Darko, Looper, The Dark Tower series (Bioshock: Infinite also "borrowed" a lot of symbolism from that), The Butterfly Effect (especially the alternate ending) (bad movie, but still), Fringe sorta (this is what I've heard, haven't actually watched it), Big O sorta, Bastion kinda, depending on which ending you pick, 12 Monkeys sorta kinda, etc.

It's not like it's a bunch of niche genre movies / books or anything, those are all pretty popular.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 07:19:19 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2679 on: March 30, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »

true... Sad

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic