Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 03:54:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902474 times)
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2860 on: April 29, 2013, 05:17:59 AM »

Banner Saga: Factions on Steam. It's a tactical TBS game, which is one of my favorite genres. Since it's a PvP, it's fun even when I lose.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: April 29, 2013, 07:27:54 AM »

@eigen
Diablo is at its core a loot farming game, but the addition of the auction house changed the loop from kill monsters -> find better gear -> kill monsters to kill monsters -> find junk -> sell junk -> buy better gear -> kill monsters (or in the case of RMAH: buy gear -> kill monsters), which doesn't have the same effect.
Also, PvP was a huge part of the previous games, and a reason to actually engage in the PvE loop. Its lack made the whole endeavour pointless.
If you played a year ago, you would also have to deal with overloaded servers (constant lag and frequent DCs), annoying bugs, imbalanced classes, bad itemization, ridiculous elite monster modifiers, etc.
So that's what the fuss was about.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: April 29, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »

i think ni no kuni made me hate the phrase "here goes" Sad
ClayB
« Reply #2863 on: April 29, 2013, 07:31:48 AM »

Playing rayman origins for the first time, pretty fun.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2864 on: April 29, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »

I guess I'm now expected to play through the game again on Nightmare difficulty? That doesn't sound fun at all since the story is the same ... Concerned

Correct. The challenge goes up quit a notch, but the problem with d3 is that it is not open enough to see more emrging interactions. It is too story focused to make such a system work.

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: April 29, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »

Culpa Innata

nonlinear scifi adventure game about solving murders in a futurist randian nation-state
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »

better than bioshock
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: April 29, 2013, 03:45:12 PM »

better than bioshock

undeniably so
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2868 on: April 30, 2013, 02:34:33 AM »

Homeworld ftw

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2869 on: April 30, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »

Holy crap, Homeworld, I remember that game. I remember playing it as a kid and not knowing what the hell I was doing.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2870 on: April 30, 2013, 11:31:53 AM »

god damn that game is beautiful

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: April 30, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »

That is a game that has aged marvelously. And the late 90's is not a period where 3d games have aged well.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: April 30, 2013, 12:52:49 PM »

gornova
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2873 on: April 30, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

hi! right now I'm playing awesome Starcraft 2 multiplayer (vs humans and AI too!) and Monaco :D

Blog | Last game Number+
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: April 30, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Bayonetta feels like it isn't a modern game. It's loaded with optional stuff to do and unlock, like accessories to find by beating the game quickly, hidden characters for getting trophies, one for beating an optional boss rush... and yet none of these things are tied to the achievement system. Getting all the achievements just requires beating the game on the highest difficulty plus beating the hidden missions. I have a whole slew of stone trophies for dying a dozen times per level, and the game just lets me keep soldiering on.

It's both unnerving and refreshing.

I hope the sequel cleans up the cutscenes so you don't have to keep skipping them to make the game not take an extra fifteen minutes each level. That alone would make it a winner.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: April 30, 2013, 05:42:00 PM »

What is this?
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:42 AM »

Finally built my own PC and played so many games recently:

Deus Ex: HR - Got past the first mission (where you have to save that hostage female and get to exploring the city). The game doesn't hook me as much as the original did, but maybe because there's so much fluff when exploring the city. It's hard to transition from pure stealth

Skyrim - Interesting, but too big for my tastes. Kinda similar to Dark Souls except more complexity with items and random inventory objects around. Feels like something I might look more into

Thief: Deadly Shadows - unlike Deus Ex, this is a stealth game that's truly addicting and more rewarding in terms of missions especially playing each one on its hardest difficulty as it forces you to explore more and stealth better. A lot of optional things to do

Tomb Raider: Legend - short dungeon-exploring game. It shines with its collectibles, especially the mansion, its boss battles and all the little puzzles in each dungeon/tomb

Portal 2 - really loved how there was a "second" game to this game. I thought it was already big enough before that. All the gel elements were fun to play around with and their associated puzzles have been the best in the series so far

Dark Souls - dis game right here. Very few games with PvP have an addicting PvE and this is just one of them. So many ways to play. My second run was a strength build revolving around the Demon Great Hammer, but I'm thinking of trying a Demon Great Axe or Soul level 1 build next run and continue with it to NG+

Darksiders - ARPG similar to Dark Souls. Its dungeons are like zelda only better, on its hardest mode has some very challenging mob fights and all the upgrades and dungeon treasures you get are pretty unique. Has some fun boss fights too and challenges like killing 160 enemies while on the flying thing, and killing more angels than Ulthane. Would highly recommend

The rest I can't comment too much on
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: May 01, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

I had a similar experience with DXHR. The city felt really small and cramped, and I couldn't take a step without walking into a shitty sidequest.

Also, how is Darksiders like Zelda? I'm not being confrontational here, just never played a LoZ game in my life. So maybe a better question would be: what makes a game zelda-like?
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2878 on: May 01, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »

The structure of Darksiders is literally Ocarina of Time. Even the item progression is similar. If you played Darksiders and went to play OoT, you would be blown away by how similar the game from 1998 is to the one from 2010. Pretty much everything from Darksiders is derivative of another game.

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: May 01, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »

Also, how is Darksiders like Zelda? I'm not being confrontational here, just never played a LoZ game in my life. So maybe a better question would be: what makes a game zelda-like?

I was referring to its dungeons mostly, the way you explore them and the way you get dungeon items to open up new areas of the dungeon and overworld, but now that Tanner mentions it, the overworld structure is similar. The difference is how areas in Darksiders are mostly a gauntlet, just fighting mobs of creatures at a time
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic