Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:02:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902434 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: April 15, 2014, 06:19:35 AM »

The irony is that metroid prime DOES look better on gc than on wii because teh wii version is a straight port using mp3 engine which does not have some effects!

I have both version, the gc version is amazing in mood! the wii version feel plastic-y

hd ports of older games almost always look worse than the originals imo
juan
Level 0

I need scissors! 61!

View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: April 15, 2014, 07:40:05 AM »

Silent Hill HD collection.

i promise i'm making a game.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: April 16, 2014, 04:05:31 AM »

Wind Waker being the case-in-point. That game is just drowning in bloom and smooth lighting. I'm astounded they did away with cel-shading on some assets, because it looks atrocious.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5263 on: April 16, 2014, 05:42:23 AM »

Aw, what? The game looks tons better in the Wii U version. The effects might be a little overboard, but it feels much more like it's bright and airy than the GC version - feels more "alive" when you're outside. Of course, it's HD, too, which is a plus. I thought it was amazing how much it feels like a PS3-quality game just with a few changes because of the style of the original game (nice shadows, SSAO, etc). Grin

EDIT:

I find it amazing how well Metroid Prime really feels like a Metroid game despite being in first person. I had the same sense of isolation, surprise and exploration that I had when I played Super Metroid. Shows how well Retro understood the essence of the series (unlike a lot of other series out there that completely changed when went for 3D).

Yeah, it definitely feels like you're pretty much the only one out there, as usual. They stepped it up between 1 and 2 because the areas are more littered with human and space pirate bodies than the last one, I believe, which is really a lot of detail. I don't know much about 3 yet, though, since I haven't played it much.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: April 16, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »

3 is more of a shooter than the previous 2 and is also the worst in the series imo (excluding hunters). it's like the devs misunderstood their own game.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5265 on: April 16, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »

3 / Corruption was mechanically really good. Summoning the ship in combat felt good, ripping off wall panels with the whip felt good, and the sequence with the giant bomb in the flying city worked really well for me. The flying city level was really gorgeous and gave a good feeling of being just about to fall apart at any minute, and I liked exploring the derelict starship. The finale on the last planet was really enjoyable too, in that it was a good way to use the hyper mode to finish up the game.

The characters weren't interesting and there was too much dialogue, and breaking up the world into distinct planets robbed you of the fun of seeing how the different areas transitioned. I think all my complaints about the game were just in the themes - the design of the individual planets was good.

I don't know if I'd describe any of the problems as "being too much of a shooter", though. What did you feel should have been different?

I feel like Other M holds the "Worst in series" trophy and even then it's not a terrible game, just an average one in an above average series. I never played hunters so I can't say anything about it.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: April 16, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »

I don't know if I'd describe any of the problems as "being too much of a shooter", though. What did you feel should have been different?

less linear level design, more exploration and less combat focus, no dum voice telling u what to do over a radio, less boring npcs

I feel like Other M holds the "Worst in series" trophy and even then it's not a terrible game, just an average one in an above average series. I never played hunters so I can't say anything about it.

i meant "worst in the metroid prime subseries"
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: April 16, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »

I only liked Metroid Prime 1. Nintendo needs to take the DARK LIGHT WORLD mechanic and throw it away
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: April 16, 2014, 05:38:15 PM »

Lethal claustrophobic dark world in Prime 2 was one of the best dark worlds they ever made, though.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5269 on: April 17, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »

Finally set up enough to play a different game every day of the month.

That said, regular gameplay has been occuring on:

Aces Wild!
The Binding of Isaac
FTL: Advanced Edition
Guilty Gear Isuka
La Mulana (remake)
Magicite
NeonPlat Adventures
Nom Nom Galaxy
One Finger Death Punch
Platformines
Rogue Legacy
Spelunky
Spiral Knights
Stepmania
Totally Tiny Arcade
VVVVVV

And to be coming on:

Batman: Arkham City GotY
Dark Souls: PtD Edition (yes, I have the Steam one now)
Deus Ex GotY
Hotline Miami
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Mark of the Ninja
Megamari
Saints Row: The Third (Total Package)
Terraria 1.2
Torchlight II

...and somehow I *still* have a near 30-game wishlist. >.>'

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: April 17, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »

Lethal claustrophobic dark world in Prime 2 was one of the best dark worlds they ever made, though.

for me, it was dull and the damage made it even more tedious to explore
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: April 17, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »

for me, it was dull and the damage made it even more tedious to explore

A fair opinion.

It seemed to me that the exploration was pretty heavily skewed to the light world, so when I was in the dark world I could enjoy the threat that accompanied leaving the light. By the time you needed to explore it a lot, you already had suits to protect you.

EDIT: Wow, the romance system in Dragon's Dogma is amazing. Not because it's good, no, but because it's so hilariously bad. Beat the game and you go down on an NPC that apparently you fell in love with after doing two quests for them. It can even be same sex or a child, and you haven't got a clue who it will be until it's already too late to change it before the ending. I guess I fell in love with the witch girl after I helped her not die to the villagers, and then was totally caught off guard when the dragon revealed she was my true love. I was just wondering how the heck she got on death mountain before me and suddenly we're getting freaky just before the credit roll and I don't get to say a thing about it. And then there's this: http://gaygamer.net/2013/04/dragons-dogma-made-me-do-something-terrible-why-developers-shouldnt-skimp-on-romance-mechanics/

This game is definitely recommended if you like titles that are just clumsy enough to make you scratch your head and wonder why somebody thought something was a good idea.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:09:24 PM by SirNiko » Logged
Sakar
« Reply #5272 on: April 19, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »

Recently picked up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS. I'm disappointed it took this long for me to get into this series. It's fucking fantastic

Can't wait for 4U to come out next year so I can play online and experience the multiplayer.
Nitishajack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: April 20, 2014, 07:58:46 AM »

titan falls on xbox one.

that is all.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5274 on: April 20, 2014, 12:59:10 PM »

^ What do you think of it?

@Sakar - Hope it comes to the Wii U, too. I have Ultimate, and while I don't play it much, I think I'd like to, haha.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5275 on: April 20, 2014, 09:04:20 PM »

@ SirNiko: That is effing brilliant. Especially keeping that sort of thing a surprise. XD I could just imagine the look on those people's faces! No, those developers know what they're doing.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5276 on: April 21, 2014, 03:43:47 AM »

the weirdest thing about dragons dogma is how the npcs can't shut up, break boxes for you and also say the word "aught" all the time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 02:11:15 PM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: April 21, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

I think you can use the "Knowledge chair" or whatever to turn down the frequency of your own pawn from talking. Or turn it up, just in case you need to be reminded that goblin are weak to fire before you one-hit-kill them.

When rescuing the duchess, though, it was really bizarre when she started smashing huge crates with her bare fists, yet she couldn't jump over a two-foot wide crack in the ground.

There's a lot of uncanny valley going on all over the game.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: April 23, 2014, 05:47:27 AM »

there's a frisbee in the garden, mostly been playing with that
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: April 23, 2014, 06:03:54 AM »

there's a frisbee in the garden, mostly been playing with that
Its kinda gets frustrating, but i like overall design and some roguelike elements of it.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic