Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:53:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894396 times)
bitserum
« Reply #5700 on: July 20, 2014, 02:33:27 AM »

I love TellTale games, and I just finished The Wolf Amongst us.
Like in The Walking Dead, I don't mind the converging of choices much. I do have a beef with somewhat redundant "action" play sequences in The Wolf.
I would rather it didn't make me mash the Q button, and instead just play out the one and only viable outcome right away. I'm already here, hooked to the game world and its story; I obviously don't mind playing an interactive TV show with a fully fleshed out main character.
And my favorite pet peeve is giving me control in scenes that are completely empty except for that one door I can (and have to) open.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #5701 on: July 20, 2014, 01:23:52 PM »

Whoa, it sounds like it's actually good? I assumed Square Enix had completely lost it after I played FF13. Sounds like this one might be worth a look...

Yeah, if only it wasn't a sequel - I will never play though the first, but may give LR a chance.

Started playing Sanctuary Rpg. It's probably the nicest looking interface I've seen for an ascii rpg. Interesting mechanics, but ultimately rudimentary (so far). It's fun, but much easier than a roguelike even with perma-death. The writing can be humorous or tongue-in-cheek, which has kept my attention. Anyway, the creator asks that you pay what you will, be it nothing or otherwise, so check it out - http://blackshellgames.itch.io/srpg
Nikira Bam!
Level 0

Sup.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5702 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49:10 AM »

Been hangin' around in the Destiny city. Random people decided to join Smiley

Enjoying the game, it's a mix of Borderlands and Halo.

Twitter: @NikiraBam
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5703 on: July 21, 2014, 07:12:37 AM »

So I'm pretty sure A Link Between Worlds has become my favourite Zelda game. Once you have the option to buy items the issue I had with renting is resolved. The level/dungeon designs are superb. They always having very interesting layouts and themes, and a lot of verticality, and the bosses at the end are always really cool. I especially liked the spintop boss and the skeleton dude with the shield. I really like how well the 'turn into a painting' mechanic is used, it's very integral to the game and gives a nice sense of space to the dungeons that is otherwise absent when viewing everything top-down.

I'm glad that items don't become useless after you use them once in a dungeon. Every item feels like it has more than just 1 use, and the upgrades are a nice feature.

And holy shit the Streetpass battles. Really neat idea. It's a lot of fun and sometimes really difficult to fight against the phantoms of other players.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5704 on: July 21, 2014, 07:26:46 AM »

aarghh! Angry

Marc Truant
Level 0

Dun dun dunn.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5705 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:42 AM »

Been hangin' around in the Destiny city. Random people decided to join Smiley

Enjoying the game, it's a mix of Borderlands and Halo.

How's the character customization in Destiny?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5706 on: July 21, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

I'm finding Crypt of the NecroDancer almost impossible to put down, but I managed to tear myself away for a moment to start Legend of Grimrock. Although I'm only through the first level, it seems really promising. The controls and combat are weird and awkward, but in a good way - seems like it's all about positioning and managing cooldowns. Pretty cool game so far.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5707 on: July 21, 2014, 02:19:17 PM »

I just looked up Crypt of the Necrodancer - very cool! I love rhythm games that focus on rhythm and not just memorization of patterns like Guitar Hero does.

How does this work, though? As far as I can tell, it's a simple roguelike where turns happen to the beat so you have to keep moving and keep in rhythm. Does it have a lot of songs? Picking my own MP3s is kind of a turn-off, because I'd rather the game give me some new music then to just play to the rhythm of the songs I already know.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5708 on: July 21, 2014, 02:36:11 PM »

How does this work, though? As far as I can tell, it's a simple roguelike where turns happen to the beat so you have to keep moving and keep in rhythm. Does it have a lot of songs? Picking my own MP3s is kind of a turn-off, because I'd rather the game give me some new music then to just play to the rhythm of the songs I already know.

Yeah, I wasn't interested in putting my own music into it either. The soundtrack is outstanding - composed by Danny Baranowsky, which pretty much says it all.

Your description is accurate, but there's actually quite a lot of depth to the rhythm combat. You need to learn each enemy's pattern, and make your choice of how to move in the span of one quarter note. Songs get faster as you get deeper into each zone, so you have less and less time per turn to think (until the next zone, where things slow down so you can learn about the new environments and enemies). Knowing enemy patterns and choosing your moves well is crucial; even if you're fully decked out, you can be killed in one or two hits if you make the wrong move. You also have only until the end of the song to finish each floor - take too long, and you'll be dumped through a trapdoor onto the next floor before you're ready.

It makes for a really interesting hybrid between a turn-based and real-time game. I've never played anything quite like it before.

Jarkko Vallius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5709 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:01 AM »

Downloaded Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. The last time I played it like ten years ago.

And shocked I was. There are still servers running and a lot of players. Shocked

Can't say I really enjoyed the gameplay anymore. But it was a perfect nostalgia trip.

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5710 on: July 22, 2014, 02:02:21 AM »

Puzzle platformers are just awesome. Currently playing So Many Me, and it's giving me Toki Tori 2 vibes in that you have everything available to you, but you develop your ability to solve optional puzzles with more knowledge of the game mechanics which you develop playing the game normally. It is also initially brutal, and the puzzle rooms get very large very quickly, with optional puzzles requiring a lot of strict timing, positioning, momentum, etc. First boss was a bit of a let down though so hoping the rest get better.
gamerzap
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5711 on: July 22, 2014, 02:54:02 AM »

I've been playing the Yawhg lately with my friends.  It's really great, especially once I figured out how to add my own events :D
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5712 on: July 22, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »

Currently playing So Many Me, and it's giving me Toki Tori 2 vibes
SOLD

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5713 on: July 22, 2014, 09:17:31 PM »

Started playing Omikron: The Nomad's Soul.  Man this game is weird.  All the dumb bullshit that is bursting at the seams of David Cage's later games is here full on display and unfiltered.  There's a huge modern future-apartment, there's future-cops, there's a lady who hangs around your apartment in her underwear, there's demons, there's inter-dimensional soul-travel.  Also there's a pretty sweet theme song by David Bowie (which was an original track for this game, in that it was an existing Bowie song, but with some of the words replaced with "Omikron").  And there's terrible FPS segments, because David Cage hadn't decided to make entire games out of QTEs yet. 

To be honest, the weird, grimy, low-fi cyberpunk quality of the game endears it to me a lot more than Cage's game that have the pretense of being serious medium-progressing stories. 

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5714 on: July 23, 2014, 08:47:02 AM »

After having finally defeated the Drake at Devilfire's gorve and having spoiled me some of the plot surprises, it just dawned on me that the plot does share some similarities to Berserk, in particular with the dragonkin and the Apostles, hell you can figure out somehwat the parallel by just seeing how the heart motifs around dragonkin and arisen are played. Plot is not brilliant by any means, but there are nices touchs of dark fantasy.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5715 on: July 23, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »

@alecs
That's his excuse, you has already done that, the nerdy open world stuff, he try to break away from it but seriously can't, it's a nerd that try to do non nerd, still have demon/tech/magic in his "normal emotion story", it's a pretense because it's not, he should hired true writer and drop the hack.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5716 on: July 23, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »

im more worried that his idea of a "serious story" seems to be tv crime dramas
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5717 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:36 AM »

Yeah, David Cage is basically the walking embodiment of gaming cultures inferiority complex to and misunderstanding of movies/TV as a medium.  He moved from nerdy genre fiction to less-nerdy genre fiction except oh wait there's telepathic links and technocops.

@alecs
That's his excuse, you has already done that, the nerdy open world stuff, he try to break away from it but seriously can't, it's a nerd that try to do non nerd, still have demon/tech/magic in his "normal emotion story", it's a pretense because it's not, he should hired true writer and drop the hack.

Yeah, it's like he can't help himself.  I mean, even when starting as a kind of schlocky but at least interesting paranormal thriller in the case of Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, you've got glowing green techno bug hallucinations about an hour in, and Matrix powers half way through.

At least Omikron seems to be pretty honest about what it is.  Although, it's still some of the least subtle writing I've seen.  For example, when you go to your office at the police station to find out what cases the character whose body your inhabiting was investigating when he disappeared, you get a list something along the lines of

1) Theft
2) Swindling
3) Pickpocketing
4) Public Disturbance
5) A Series of Unexplained Killings

Huh, I wonder which one of these is the one that is relevant to the story.  Also, to top it all off, the case reports for the minor offenses contain details of the sentencing, which is stuff like "Sentenced to Life in Prison" and "Slated for Recycling", just to drive home that the game takes place in a dystopian police state (as if the Ed 209s standing around everywhere weren't enough).

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #5718 on: July 24, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »

Also, in the first 6 hours of the day I met a little girl who asked me to find her green doll, then I gave her a red one. Not only did I fail the side quest permanently (forever marked in my menu with a big red X), but the little girl literally went insane and began laughing maniacally. It was actually a great way to set the tone that this game isn't afraid to punish you for mistakes.

Yeah, I liked those touches in LR (not too many, but they are there).  There's one quest that's based around payphones ringing and you go on a wild goose chase to these telephones.  The quest description itself is really sarcastic and talks about how this is just some annoying prank being played by a kid, so I thought, "eh, I'm gonna do something else instead of chasing these telephone calls only to wind up mildly reprimanding some teenager at the end".  Instead, the next day I find a girl murdered because I Kitty-Genovese'd her and ignored her cries for help.
ink.inc
« Reply #5719 on: July 24, 2014, 10:37:42 AM »

Bravely Default is really good! Adds a lot of interesting mechanics, and the art is immaculate.

The Brave/Default system helps to speed up battles a lot, and allows for interesting strategies. The way it works is that you can take a "loan" on actions for any of your character, allowing them to take up to 3 more actions per turn. However, this leaves you vulnerable to enemy counterattacks, as you then have to skip turns in order to pay off said "loan" before your character can act again. Basically what this means is that you can sweep weaker mobs out in a single turn, and it adds some depth to boss battles.

My only issues are:

1. level design is a bit meh
2. combat requires you to press a button way too many times! let there be a button that allows me to stack an action  to the max instead of having me press A/right 6-12 times (per character)! it's really stupid that there isn't one!!!!
3. plot is garbage!!! why even bother including it? do yourself a favor square and just copy etrian odyssey's (aka dont have a plot) until you hire some decent goddamn writers.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 10:48:32 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic