Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:26:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902462 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5820 on: August 22, 2014, 07:07:39 AM »

I am still just playing Dota because the world refuses to produce anything that is relevant to my interests.

One day the games I grew up with will become the new nostalgia-retro-crap and then I'll have all the banjokazooie, mario64, ocarinia of time knock-offs I could dream of!
Soooon.. sooon.

I can't wait for this whole platformer thing to go away... again

What's relevant to your interest?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #5821 on: August 22, 2014, 07:35:21 AM »

agreed, galaxy trucker owns. have you played space alert by the same designer?
I own Space Alert, but I'm hesitant to bring it to the table because of player constraints. From what I've been told, the game only really functions properly with 4+ players and works best with 5, and I usually don't achieve those exact player counts in my group. Do you think it's worth playing with just 3?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5822 on: August 22, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »

wait, 3ds eshop has games like that on sale where you live? here in europe the only things that are ever on sale are, like, ports of mobile games that were overpriced to begin with lol

Atlus is having a big sale across multiple platforms, here.
A bunch of their old rpgs are super cheap on 3DS/PSN. Lots of SMT.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:25:00 PM by Hangedman » Logged

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5823 on: August 22, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »

well fuck
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5824 on: August 22, 2014, 10:27:54 AM »

i saw an anime sale on psn that lasted up to the 19th, with persona 3 on huge discount, but i see no atlus sale whatsoever, at least here.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5825 on: August 22, 2014, 05:28:19 PM »

Apparently there's some weirdness about who's publishing Atlus games in the EU, which is why P4A disappeared from EU PSN a while ago.

Google pulls no punches

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5826 on: August 22, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »

the thing is atlus doesnt publish their own games in europe (hell knows why, even NIS does it) so they have publishing deals with different companies, seemingly on a per-game basis. for instance persona 4 was published by squeenix here while the other games in the series were published by ghostlight, smt4 and etrian odyssey are published by nintendo etc, etc. i guess the reason games are getting pulled and delayed now (smt4 is only coming out here next month) is that atlus getting bought out by sega probably affected some of those publishing deals.

tho now that they're part of sega they should theoretically have a stable publisher for europe. heres to hoping.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5827 on: August 22, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »

NIS?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847793

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5828 on: August 22, 2014, 07:33:55 PM »

I am still just playing Dota because the world refuses to produce anything that is relevant to my interests.

One day the games I grew up with will become the new nostalgia-retro-crap and then I'll have all the banjokazooie, mario64, ocarinia of time knock-offs I could dream of!
Soooon.. sooon.

I can't wait for this whole platformer thing to go away... again

What's relevant to your interest?

banjokazooie, mario64, ocarinia of time knock-offs

:1

P.S.?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5829 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »

Started playing Shadows of the Damned, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it so far.  Every line is the solid gold.  Really dumb solid gold.  This really feels like Shinji Mikami decided to use his collaboration with Suda 51 as an excuse to do all the weird dumb bullshit he's been bottling up since God Hand (There's even giant floating strawberries, for crying out loud).  The actual gameplay has some neat ideas but could have used a bit more time (and more of Shinji Mikami's involvement, I think.  It lacks his emphasis on positioning and resource scarcity.  Also, this was the first time I started a game and was actually disappointed that it DIDN'T have tank controls).  But it's doing a good job of throwing enough nonsense at me that I remain entertained.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5830 on: August 23, 2014, 04:56:02 AM »

i went into shadows of the dum liking it and came out not liking it. the more i played the more the douchebaggy humor wore thin and the more i had the creeping suspicion that maybe theyre not as "ironic" about it as i thought. its like if you took god hand or vanquish and let the story take center stage. wat a hell.

also mechanically and level design wise the game has nothing on resident evil 4 and vanquish.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5831 on: August 23, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »

havent played re4, but i am more or less on the same boat in regard to sotd as Cas. havent finished yet, but i got sutck on one of the girlfriend chasing scenes, and reallly got bored with it. god hand, while not having the best level design ever, at least offered you option on how to tackle all bad dudes, and vanquish had some of the best shooter mechanics ever. sotd is really just an average linear corridor shooter with terrible humor, and occassionally great music, specially boss music.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5832 on: August 23, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »

DOOM II  Evil

I've lost count of how many times I've finished this thing and it still feels great. Till today some of the best level design in FPS, full of weird and experimental stuff like a level full of closed spaces filled with barrels or a level with the 2 stronger enemies in the game fighting each other in front of you.

It's interesting how they didn't care about making things easy to the player, a lot of times I thought I had found a secret area but no, that's where I had to go. There are also times where you have to pass through poison or lava or something and lose health to continue, something that I don't see people doing today (Dark Souls kinda does it on the bottom of Blighttown). There's always a lot of backtracking and a lot of open levels with multiple paths or rooms that you can go in any order you want. And a lot of optional paths with just some enemies, health and some ammo and nothing important to progress... and I don't mean a small room here and there but a lot of huge paths that feel like a level on their own and there's no key or anything in there! You go just for the fun of having more bad guys to kill.. and it's worth it! Another thing that we don't have today (actually I think Dark Souls does that too). How we went from that to a bunch of corridor shooters? Sad

So.. that's what I'v been playing. DOOM II  Evil

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5833 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:16 AM »

i always enjoyed doom 2 much btter than doom 1 or quake. the larger city levels are a bit more tedious, but the tightness of the first 10 levels or so is amazing.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5834 on: August 23, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »

Yeah I'm looking forward to Hat in Time, but like all Kickstarter games, I'll believe it when it's actually on sale.
I can't play it right now, so blaugh

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5835 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:57 PM »

i went into shadows of the dum liking it and came out not liking it. the more i played the more the douchebaggy humor wore thin and the more i had the creeping suspicion that maybe theyre not as "ironic" about it as i thought. its like if you took god hand or vanquish and let the story take center stage. wat a hell.

also mechanically and level design wise the game has nothing on resident evil 4 and vanquish.

Yeah, we'll see how my opinion fares further along in the game, but I have a pretty high tolerance for dumb bullshit as long as it's weird or interesting (hell, I've sat through ~20 Godfrey Ho movies). 

The game design is definitely not up there with Mikami's best, although I like it better than No More Heroes.  That being said, it's got some interesting ideas going on.  Kind of an alternate direction to push RE4 gameplay further in the action direction with dodge-rolls and such.

Also, on one of the first mini-bosses, I ended up turning what should have been a 2 minute battle into a 10 minute battle because I forgot I wasn't playing Dark Souls.  I had a roll, saw an enemy that had a big glowing weak point on it's back, and figured the strategy was to roll under it's attack, then get up and shoot it before it turns back around.  So I spent about 10 minutes trying to do this, sometimes getting what I thought might have been a shot at it's back, managing to avoid most damage, but not actually dealing damage either.  Then tried shooting it a second time with the light shot, which stunned it and made it turn its weak point to me, which I shot, immediately killing it.   Shrug

saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5836 on: August 23, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

SWAT 3

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5837 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:08 AM »

Yeah, we'll see how my opinion fares further along in the game, but I have a pretty high tolerance for dumb bullshit as long as it's weird or interesting (hell, I've sat through ~20 Godfrey Ho movies). 

The game design is definitely not up there with Mikami's best, although I like it better than No More Heroes.  That being said, it's got some interesting ideas going on.  Kind of an alternate direction to push RE4 gameplay further in the action direction with dodge-rolls and such.

Also, on one of the first mini-bosses, I ended up turning what should have been a 2 minute battle into a 10 minute battle because I forgot I wasn't playing Dark Souls.  I had a roll, saw an enemy that had a big glowing weak point on it's back, and figured the strategy was to roll under it's attack, then get up and shoot it before it turns back around.  So I spent about 10 minutes trying to do this, sometimes getting what I thought might have been a shot at it's back, managing to avoid most damage, but not actually dealing damage either.  Then tried shooting it a second time with the light shot, which stunned it and made it turn its weak point to me, which I shot, immediately killing it.   Shrug

the skeletal guy with the chainssaw and the huge red jewele on the back? I went under a similar situation. hint, he becomes an elite mook.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5838 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »

I just got done playing Crazy Taxi for 3 weeks straight. I don't own the game. I finished with $0.27. WORST SKORR EVAR. >.<

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5839 on: August 26, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »

I gave Inquisitor another chance but stopped playing because it got too annoying. I managed to get used to the walls of badly translated dialog text and actually enjoyed the story and setting. It's not super original, but I like how it feels a bit more grounded in real history than your average fantasy RPG and the mystery plot is decent enough (tho it DOES kinda come off as a schlocky version of Name of the Rose lol).

Unfortunately though, the combat is really bad, even by 2nd rate CRPG standards. Encounters are poorly balanced and seem to be either trivial or almost unwinnable. Skills feel incredibly weak to the point where i often can't tell if they have any effect at all. There's a stamina bar that requires standing around for a couple minutes(!) to regenerate. Constant potion guzzling is mandatory and if you run out of them because your AI controlled party members used them all up, you gotta backtrack to town. Same thing if you get hit with one of the worse status effects.

Also the almost complete lack of direction meant I was wasting a shitload of time wandering around bland prerendered enviroments doing fucking nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 [292] 293 294 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic