Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:03:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903118 times)
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6000 on: October 11, 2014, 07:27:05 AM »

I managed to get Alien: Isolation working on my DK2 last night after some fiddling of .xml files. The implementation is really robust. Pre-rendered videos appear floating in front of you, as if you've watching a cinema screen, which seems like a good compromise. The UI follows your gaze and is readable. And aside from some light clipping the head tracking is good too (although does judder slightly with my setup). However I get motion sickness pretty bad. And after about 10 minutes walking around I started to feel really nauseous. And the nausea, for whatever reason, made me feel super claustrophobic. Which meant I spent the rest of the evening lying in bed waiting for my stomach to settle. So an experience, undeniably. But not necessarily one I'm personally going to repeat, sadly.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6001 on: October 11, 2014, 11:36:32 PM »

Just started the vanishing of ethan carter, and wow does this game leave an impression. It's really pretty (read: gorgeous), and the whole thing feels incredibly tense, what with the music, the macabre body you find at the start (not really a spoiler, it's literally one minute in), and the overall lighting and everything.

I can't quite understand what I'm supposed to do yet though...

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6002 on: October 12, 2014, 07:39:20 AM »

god i want to play it

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6003 on: October 12, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »

Replayed Resonance of Fate last night. There is something about the controls that gets on my nerves, more often than not I have switched that run n shoot move into a standrd aim and shoot because X is not confirm, but rather that specific action and arrrrgh.and then the tri attack is activated by pressing triangle but executed by pressing square i mean come the fuck on. yet somehow circle is always a consistent fucking cance button.

Aside from that, I like the mechanics, and somehow I managed to destroy the optional walker robot in the power plant on my first try but now i cant fucking reproduced and get always obliterate.

how the fuck do i enlarge myy hero gauge? please tell me its not plot related

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: October 12, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »

haha yeah the controls are kinda odd but the battle system is neato. probably the most overlooked jrpg of the last couple years (probably because it was advertised as a jrpg in the final fantasy/tales/etc. vein when its really closer to a srpg).

how the fuck do i enlarge myy hero gauge? please tell me its not plot related

its partly plot related. Sad you get shards from bosses but you also find some on the world map iirc
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:05:45 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6005 on: October 12, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »

getting used to the controls and managed to beat the first boss and noticed that yeeeeh its semi plot related. at least i ahve sort of learned how to refill the gauge on a hit an run thing. while i wouldnt outright call it an srpg, its combat system is definitely pretty cool, which is why i am enduring all the odd shit. kinda wished the plot wasnt that insipid.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: October 12, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »

i would say its sort of a hybrid srpg/jrpg. the heavy combat focus and long(-ish) battles and complexity of the mechanics are all very srpg-ish. the combat itself is definitely srpg-like as well with its focus on planning ahead and positioning. tho it does have the weird "semi real time" aspect, so there's that. it actually kinda reminded me of valkyria chronicles when i first played it.

but yeah, everything else in the game follows a traditional jrpg format and yes, the plot and characters are pretty lame. but at least the setting is sort of neat and its not very plot heavy so the bad plot doesnt get in the way too much.  Shrug

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: October 12, 2014, 06:35:07 PM »

I'm playing a lot of Planetside2 recently, got back to it after about a year of not paying any attention to it. Was a bit disappointed by the fact that the game hasn't progressed much during that time(especially in terms of engine optimization and bug fixing) despite regular patching. -_- But still it's rather fun to play anyway.

Also got Stalker trilogy dirt cheap on GOG so I finally can replay all the 3 parts on a decent PC.
MrBones
« Reply #6008 on: October 13, 2014, 06:55:01 AM »

i have done pretty close to nothing but play fire emblem awakening since thursday
Aki-at
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: October 13, 2014, 01:38:11 PM »

Have been playing through Alien: Isolation and just completed it.

Never playing it again.

Absolutely fantastic game. But my heart couldn't take another playthrough, it appears to have broken me!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6010 on: October 13, 2014, 03:51:53 PM »

I was recently introduced to Gang Beasts at a LAN.
Played it 8 player for a while, really funny game to watch and play
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:28:08 PM by Mittens » Logged

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6011 on: October 14, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »

After giving up on the PC version of San Andreas I've picked up the android version and I'm currently playing through the same few first missions easily, I've played them way too much now. I managed to get a bluetooth controller hooked up easily enough and now I'm going to try and put it on a monitor with a HDMI out thing.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6012 on: October 14, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »

The Binding of Isaac Community Remix, which now even has a new character in it as of the most recent version. Okay, so being able to F6/F7 items to death is a little cheap, too. I'm not counting those as "real wins" anyhow. >.>'

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6013 on: October 15, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »

i would say its sort of a hybrid srpg/jrpg. the heavy combat focus and long(-ish) battles and complexity of the mechanics are all very srpg-ish. the combat itself is definitely srpg-like as well with its focus on planning ahead and positioning. tho it does have the weird "semi real time" aspect, so there's that. it actually kinda reminded me of valkyria chronicles when i first played it.

but yeah, everything else in the game follows a traditional jrpg format and yes, the plot and characters are pretty lame. but at least the setting is sort of neat and its not very plot heavy so the bad plot doesnt get in the way too much.  Shrug

Yeah, the rewal time thing also reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles. Im still at odds with labeling it an SRPG, in part perhaps because there is a limited degree of prepartation and character build perse, you focus pretty much just on loadout (at least so far). Its an odd game to categorize admittedly, because the JRPGs elements are rather superfluous, and I feel the game would be better off without (i mean the main town is just a laaaaaarge corridor and only important places are your home, the guild and the shop), but I dont think it is that strategic enough to call an SRPG. An interesting case study indeed. Its good fun in the end anyway.

In other news, I resumed my first XCOM playthrough, and I kinda like how tense it can get. Its probably because I am not that good of a player, but I feel that the scarce resources and brutal encounters make me grind my teeth and keep me on my toes. I have europe under full panic at the moment and I fear I may lose almsot the whole continent any time. I really hope it wont eventually lead to a power creep and turn easier ebcause I really dig the fear of a long and drawn defeat.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6014 on: October 16, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

And I lost germany and nigeria, i got my second best sniper killed, my very best sniper can get crits even on 48% hit success chance, and every interceptor i deploy gets obliterated. this game makes me feel all of the feelings. inmense fear and great joy oscillate at every chance. i must admit that I unintentionally contributed to so much tension, and thats because i didnt realize at firt that the income is mostly based on where you place your satellites, and didnt bother to place on over USA

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6015 on: October 17, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »

I got my grubby hands on Hyrule Warriors recently .. I'm terrible at 3D action games so it was challenging for me, but I'm sure any veteran of the genre would laugh at it.  The main campaign is fun and kept my attention, but ..

Once you get past the main campaign and beat all of the scenarios on hard skill, there's really only grinding up to level 99 to try and beat hero skill (which is really just hard with the stats tuned for level 99 characters), and do adventure mode to unlock new characters and weapons.  All of the maps are re-used there, so unless you really like the DW style of gameplay you're going to tire of it quickly.

After I unlocked all the characters and got a few of the more exotic unlockable weapons (Giant fairy attack!), I lost interest.  I did buy the DLC and play through that, though.  Disappointed the DLC didn't bring any new maps to the table.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: October 17, 2014, 04:37:38 PM »

fucking hearthstone. I feel like I bought a bag of crack or something.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6017 on: October 17, 2014, 09:15:41 PM »

I got my grubby hands on Hyrule Warriors recently .. I'm terrible at 3D action games so it was challenging for me, but I'm sure any veteran of the genre would laugh at it.  The main campaign is fun and kept my attention, but ..

Once you get past the main campaign and beat all of the scenarios on hard skill, there's really only grinding up to level 99 to try and beat hero skill (which is really just hard with the stats tuned for level 99 characters), and do adventure mode to unlock new characters and weapons.  All of the maps are re-used there, so unless you really like the DW style of gameplay you're going to tire of it quickly.

After I unlocked all the characters and got a few of the more exotic unlockable weapons (Giant fairy attack!), I lost interest.  I did buy the DLC and play through that, though.  Disappointed the DLC didn't bring any new maps to the table.

To be honest, that sounds like kind of a lot of content. How long did it take you to beat the campaign, and to unlock everyone?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6018 on: October 18, 2014, 02:40:52 AM »

fucking hearthstone. I feel like I bought a bag of crack or something.

I'm currently rank 11. I've gotten to rank 6 at the highest. If you have a problem with game addiction, I suggest you turn away now.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6019 on: October 18, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »

I played SpyParty today.

3 or 4 hours evaporated in these tiny ~3 minute slices.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic