Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:44:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902124 times)
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: October 18, 2014, 11:30:12 PM »

I've been on Shadowrun Returns the last couple of days. The writing and setting is enjoyable though the plot is lame. Decisions don't hold any weight, and the combat is pretty shallow. I'm still having fun with this dum drek though. I dunno if I'll finish it.

I haven't been playing too much Hearthstone, but I watch an unhealthy amount of streams while working.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6021 on: October 19, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »

Legend of Grimrock had kind of a slow start, which caused me to set it aside for a while. I'm back at it now, and once I got past the first couple of levels, things got a lot more interesting. Really liking it a lot.

Since it was inspired by Dungeon Master, and I had quite a few fond childhood memories of playing Dungeon Master 2, I decided to get it up and running in an emulator to play around in it again. I kind of wish I hadn't... The game looked far better in my memory than in reality. Sometimes it's best to leave certain things in the past.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: October 19, 2014, 09:05:28 AM »

ya theres no real reason to go back to the original DM after you've played grimrock.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »

Legend of Grimrock had kind of a slow start, which caused me to set it aside for a while. I'm back at it now, and once I got past the first couple of levels, things got a lot more interesting. Really liking it a lot.

cool!

i picked up the sequel just yesterday. the biggest difference between the two is that the new one has a vast overworld. it's really refreshing to see sunlight once in a while and not just constantly be making your way through dark dungeons. what surprised me though is that the game has a myst-like aspect in the way you explore the island on which you have been stranded and there are tons of puzzles. challenging puzzles are just as prevalent as enemy encounters. i never played the first game myself so i don't know to what degree that kind of thing was in there. the graphics are goddamn gorgeous!

i'm just at the point in the game where the world opens up and you are free to explore areas and dungeons in almost any order you like. my impression is that this game is one big improvement over the last one if you are into all of these things as well as the dungeon crawling.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: October 19, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »

grimrock 1 had a lot puzzles as well
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6025 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »

grimrock 1 had a lot puzzles as well

yeah, but it seems like it's on a grander scale in the sequel and specifically in the overworld. it's enhanced by how freely you can progress and explore through the world.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6026 on: October 19, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »

i picked up the sequel just yesterday. the biggest difference between the two is that the new one has a vast overworld. it's really refreshing to see sunlight once in a while and not just constantly be making your way through dark dungeons. what surprised me though is that the game has a myst-like aspect in the way you explore the island on which you have been stranded and there are tons of puzzles. challenging puzzles are just as prevalent as enemy encounters. i never played the first game myself so i don't know to what degree that kind of thing was in there. the graphics are goddamn gorgeous!

Wow, sounds great! My main complaint about the first one so far is that it's all bleak and dark in the dungeon. Looks like the sequel is right up my alley.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6027 on: October 19, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

i'm trying to fucking clear all-star with every character and i self destructed with both donkey kong and falco in the exact same way on the exact same stsge back to back and i think it's time to cool down and do something else for a while

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: October 20, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

Man, I really need to pick up Grimrock.  I've always been interested in turn-based roguelike dungeon crawlers but I've never played a classic first-person crawl.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: October 20, 2014, 04:03:59 PM »

Finished darksider (some days ago but GG) makes you really appreciate the subtleties that goes in zelda, especially pacing, camera, level design and direction.
I'm playing the sequel, if the first part is better than the latter half, well that's not good.

Good games though

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6030 on: October 20, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »

Darksiders 1 really appealed to me in the parts where it mixed traditional Zelda dungeon design with urban environments (the Subway Station dungeon), which unfortunately only appears in a few parts of the game.

Darksiders 2 is impressive given how drastically it changes its mechanics from the first game. The first was a mix of God of War and Legend of Zelda, while the second is more like Prince of Persia with randomly generated equipment drops.

It made me hope for a third game in the series just to see what kind of mechanics they would combine to make it.
armedpatriots
Level 0

Game Designer/ Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:04 PM »

This is kind of out of left field, but I am playing Terraria again. Damn, I love that game...

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6032 on: October 20, 2014, 06:31:09 PM »

This is kind of out of left field, but I am playing Terraria again. Damn, I love that game...

I've been itching to play it too, but I want to wait for 1.3 before I touch it again so I can come to it with a fresh perspective. Sure hoped it would already have been out by now...

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6033 on: October 21, 2014, 08:46:49 AM »

Also playing Grimrock II, liking it a lot, it's at least as good as the first one, but more open.

Still pretty hard, both the puzzles and the combat. But thanks to the openness of the world, you don't get stuck, there's always somewhere to go.

Darksiders 1 really appealed to me in the parts where it mixed traditional Zelda dungeon design with urban environments (the Subway Station dungeon), which unfortunately only appears in a few parts of the game.

Darksiders 2 is impressive given how drastically it changes its mechanics from the first game. The first was a mix of God of War and Legend of Zelda, while the second is more like Prince of Persia with randomly generated equipment drops.

It made me hope for a third game in the series just to see what kind of mechanics they would combine to make it.

Yep, the Subway Station dungeon is what made me like Darksiders so much. The dungeon where you get the horse is also pretty cool and different from everything Zelda did, all open and you don't notice that you're already inside the dungeon until you're in the middle of it.

Don't like the second game as much though, it's a good game, love the art direction on it, making each world very distinct from each other. But it's too repetitive and not as creative as the first one. The pacing is pretty bad and it's way too long.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: October 21, 2014, 09:06:57 AM »

i'm playing space rangers: a war apart

this is a russian open world space gam that is apparently a cult hit over there, and i can see why. for the most part it plays like a "turn-based" star control 2 with elite-style trading thrown in, but then there are weird mech RTS battles where you get to design your own mechs on the fly and shmup sections. also i got arrested because the populace of some planet i landed on viewed me as a criminal for some reason and prison played out as a surprisingly complex text adventure. this shit is so rad.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: October 21, 2014, 09:15:54 AM »

game boy

https://vine.co/v/Ob0jYXQa75A

Fridgecrisis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6036 on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:07 AM »

I just discovered Advance Wars! I always kinda knew I'd love it, but I'd never tried it until now. I'm loving the way they blended SRPG and RTS mechanics. The little map designer and the multiplayer mode where you pass the one system around (drawing a blank on what that's usually called...) are especially nice.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: October 24, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »

I finished the Last of Us, and started the Prince of Persia trilogy. I've forgotten that those older ps2 games had awful camera movement, and unwelcome pauses after combat for dramatic effect or something. I like the puzzley mechanics of the first so far, but the combat is lame.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6038 on: October 24, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »

i've been going through trauma center: second opinion again; my roommates have all the wii titles (of which i've only played the first), and it's been literally six years since i played this game, so it's a good refresher. i'm playing through on hard mode because, you know, i beat it already years back.

observation: this game is exactly as difficult as i remember it, except worse.

observation: pempti is the worst fucking piece of shit and i hate it, i hate it so much, it makes my hands bleed

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: October 24, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »

Ziggurat. Pretty good fantasy FPS with a Quake-like pace and control feel pressed into a Binding of Isaac-like randomly generated arena shooter format. Some light "RPG elements" too.

It's fun and polished but I'm not too fond of the arena setup. It makes exploring the levels pretty boring when you already know that the majority of the rooms are going to be the exact same sort of thing. It also makes the level layouts not really matter and makes the game more repetitive than it needs to be w/ the core mechanics it has.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic