Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:09:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903386 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6040 on: October 24, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »

I've seen SLIGE generate better random levels than that.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6041 on: October 24, 2014, 11:23:51 PM »

Not what I'm playing, but rather what I think I might want to play. Waffling internally over grabbing Fantasy Life for 3DS. Heard it's good, but I already got Animal Crossing, but it's not really my speed - I'm an action kind of guy, which Fantasy Life sounds like it's got, but Smash 4's coming out for Wii U soon, and I don't wanna blow money indiscriminately... :1

Lots to think about.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6042 on: October 24, 2014, 11:31:42 PM »

Finished Gunpoint and The Swapper that I had from some bundle. Both were much better than I expected.
Gunpoint is actually funny, which almost never happens for me in a video game.
The Swapper is actually philosophically sound, which almost never happens for me in a video game.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6043 on: October 24, 2014, 11:54:06 PM »

Finished Gunpoint and The Swapper that I had from some bundle. Both were much better than I expected.
Gunpoint is actually funny, which almost never happens for me in a video game.
The Swapper is actually philosophically sound, which almost never happens for me in a video game.

you should play the fall. it's great, and also philisophically sound. for me, it was like the swapper without the braid envy creeping in.

Ziggurat. Pretty good fantasy FPS with a Quake-like pace and control feel pressed into a Binding of Isaac-like randomly generated arena shooter format. Some light "RPG elements" too.

It's fun and polished but I'm not too fond of the arena setup. It makes exploring the levels pretty boring when you already know that the majority of the rooms are going to be the exact same sort of thing. It also makes the level layouts not really matter and makes the game more repetitive than it needs to be w/ the core mechanics it has.

by that one tim rogers. yes, this one.

it's...really, really good.

really good.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6044 on: October 25, 2014, 01:01:12 AM »

I nearly hopped aboard the hype train and got the new Civ game. Then I took another look at it, and it doesn't seem to do anything new. Or better.

Inexplicably, I started playing Freedom Force(again, though I've never finished).

Not sure why I'm not working on my own game instead.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6045 on: October 25, 2014, 02:03:35 AM »

I nearly hopped aboard the hype train and got the new Civ game. Then I took another look at it, and it doesn't seem to do anything new. Or better.

ya thats what i was thinking. i mean i love alpha centauri, but beyond earth literally just looks like civ 5 IN SPACE. i guess if the story is interesting (alpha centauri is the only 4x that does the story aspect really well) i might give it a shot but even then i'll probably wait for a sale.

i hope it'll get some expansions to differentiate it more like civ 5 and xcom did.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6046 on: October 25, 2014, 02:14:02 AM »

you should play the fall. it's great, and also philisophically sound. for me, it was like the swapper without the braid envy creeping in.

Oh yeah, it got my interest some time ago, but I think it wasn't available for Linux, at least not on Steam. But now I see it has Linux support and after liking The Swapper a lot I think I might get it some day Smiley

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6047 on: October 25, 2014, 04:22:55 AM »

(alpha centauri is the only 4x that does the story aspect really well)

Fallen Enchantress?
I don't even have Civ5, it didn't look intriguing either. I do have Warlock 2, and Fallen Enchantress, and a handful of others.
The bar isn't rising on 4x hardly at all. And we still don't have the depth of play that the original Master of Magic did.
Which, in my day, my computer would load from disk uphill, through the snow, both saving and loading. *shakes tiny fist*

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: October 25, 2014, 09:12:54 AM »

I played through the Legend of Korra game.  It's a shame that Nickelodeon forced Activision's hand, e.g. Nickelodeon started blowing through the rest of Legend of Korra and Activision wanted to get the game out before Korra was off the air, but it's pretty good.  The combat is pretty phenomenal, but the lack of content (only 7 distinct enemy models and a few palette swaps) and the poor pacing (you spend most of the game unlocking your abilities, and only have access to all 4 elements for the last 2 levels) are a bit of a damper.  That being said, the distinct combat styles of the elements and the flow between them does a good job of capturing the feeling of what I'd want from an Avatar game.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6049 on: October 25, 2014, 12:25:02 PM »

I played through the Legend of Korra game.  It's a shame that Nickelodeon forced Activision's hand, e.g. Nickelodeon started blowing through the rest of Legend of Korra and Activision wanted to get the game out before Korra was off the air, but it's pretty good.  The combat is pretty phenomenal, but the lack of content (only 7 distinct enemy models and a few palette swaps) and the poor pacing (you spend most of the game unlocking your abilities, and only have access to all 4 elements for the last 2 levels) are a bit of a damper.  That being said, the distinct combat styles of the elements and the flow between them does a good job of capturing the feeling of what I'd want from an Avatar game.

Yep, the combat is what you would expect from a Platinum game. Very well done and deep. Sadly everything else is not as good, you can see that this was treated as a cheap and quick licensed game :/

Fridgecrisis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6050 on: October 25, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »

Not what I'm playing, but rather what I think I might want to play. Waffling internally over grabbing Fantasy Life for 3DS. Heard it's good, but I already got Animal Crossing, but it's not really my speed - I'm an action kind of guy, which Fantasy Life sounds like it's got, but Smash 4's coming out for Wii U soon, and I don't wanna blow money indiscriminately... :1

Lots to think about.

The biggest thing that's drawing me toward Fantasy Life is the multiplayer. I have three friends who would probably all enjoy this game and I could see it being really fun if we played together. But I don't think I'd spend much time on it by myself.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6051 on: October 25, 2014, 07:08:48 PM »

^ Yeah, that's kinda what's stopping me from buying it, haha. Seems like it'd be fun in multiplayer, but with only singleplayer mode, not sure if I'd get too much enjoyment out of it.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: October 26, 2014, 01:46:03 AM »

Im probably going to get fantasy life at some point because it looks like animal crossing  without the tedious real time aspect.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6053 on: October 26, 2014, 06:28:01 AM »

For the first time in forever, I played a game other than League of Legends or Hearthstone. I played 5 Night's at Freddy's. God am I terrible with jump scares....

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6054 on: October 26, 2014, 08:22:23 AM »

After getting frustrated and giving up on it a month or two ago, I decided to give The Sims 3 another try. Turns out it's a whole lot more fun if I fill a household with 8 characters and play them all at once. The game really shines if you just let the chaos unfold and don't try too hard to intervene and micromanage.

Less casually, I've started DROD: The Second Sky. It's every bit as good as its predecessors, and maybe even better, which is saying a lot. I can't give this game series enough praise. Hands-down the best puzzle games I've ever played.

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: October 26, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

Fantasy Life is kind of like a single player Final Fantasy 14. You can play any role/class/job/life at any time, and fulfill a ton of side quests using any of those skill sets. There's also a main story line you have to go through to unlock areas.

My girlfriend and I bought it to play together, though there hasn't really been much opportunity or need to. It's a single player game that a friend can hop on to to help. The fact that I can't heal my allies should give you an idea. Combat is pretty stale if that's what you're into. There's dum playground fun though.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: October 26, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »

sounds kool actually
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6057 on: October 26, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »

Hm, that does indeed sound pretty light in the action department. That's kinda the biggest thing to me, and even then, there are more action heavy titles I haven't gotten around to finishing. Guess I should revisit my backlog, haha.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:02 AM »

im still playing ziggurat. still having fun because the core mechanics are very good but balance problems are becoming apparent. for one thing, there need to be more reliable ways to restore health. enemies drop health pickups but the drop rates seem so arbitrary that you'll sometimes be showered with them and other times spend 3 rooms without a single one dropping. mana (aka ammo) doesnt have this problem for some reason. leveling up gives you a fixed (?) health boost but it happens too infrequently and is too "railroaded" (as in you get a certain amount of exp per dungeon level) to really strategize around it.

there are also vast differences between enemies in terms of difficulty. there are weird bird things that barf acid puddles and if you get a small room full of those you're pretty much dead (or at least i am). the "trap rooms" (platforming challenges) also range from laughably easy to almost impossible seemingly arbitrarily.

Carl Maxwell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: October 27, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »

Recently discovered Super Crate Box exists, have been dutifully playing several hours every day since.

Played through (most of) The Gears Don't Grind a few days ago, liked it. Interesting puzzle platforming screen-wrapping gravity-warping stuff.

Been occasionally playing Eldritch, Far Cry 2, and Delver in small bites.

Itinerant Story - Devlog | Website | Twitter
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic