Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:08:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902485 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #6060 on: October 27, 2014, 04:43:51 PM »

gonna

replay kh1
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6061 on: October 27, 2014, 05:00:22 PM »

Kingdom Hearts 1? I played part of it, but never beat it. I did beat KH2, and it was, indeed, a wild ride.

ink.inc
« Reply #6062 on: October 27, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

kh2 isn't half as good as kh1 tbh

they got rid of p. much all the exploration and verticality in the level design. no more hidden treasures, no cool nooks and crannies to climb up into.

every area feels sterile

i wish they'd cut the number of worlds in half, and just had /actual content/ in each one

i like the direction they took the mana system, but i thought the enemy specific reaction commands were quick timey and dumb. would have been cooler if the special attacks (sonic blade, ragnarok, etc.) from kh1 were mapped to the triangle button instead (they were context sensitive anyway so)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:54:24 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6063 on: October 29, 2014, 06:58:51 AM »

is crypt of the necrodancer worth it if you don't have a dance pad?
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6064 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:25 PM »

Yes. Speaking as a huge fan of dance pad games, Crypt of the NecroDancer is a far better experience on a keyboard.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6065 on: October 29, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »

Decided to bring my 3DS to work today and realised I had Minish Cap on it. I had completely forgotten about that, and I've never played the game, so I'm excited to!

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6066 on: October 29, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »

I've been playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, pretty fun game, but the missions get a little repetitive.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6067 on: October 30, 2014, 03:05:05 AM »

I've also been playing Borderlands: The Presequel.

There's something about the sidequests that feels odd, like they aren't as well located so you wind up going back and forth through a lot of old areas when you're completing them. In the previous game, at least, it felt like the quests tended to be centrally located - when you go to an area to do a main quest, you got a handful of quests to do there at the same time. You had more of a sense of progression instead of just running back and forth across the moon.

It also seems like it's much easier to get moonstones to max out your ammo capacity very quickly, though there's probably higher level upgrades in new game+.

Getting rid of slag element was a good idea, though, since it was tedious to always make sure one person had slag but not everyone had slag. The plot is enjoyable so far, and I like that the protagonists have far more dialogue in comparison to previous games where they didn't weigh in on the plot.

They also did a good job with Claptrap's skills, mostly because it brings across the idea that he tends to interfere while being helpful (despite his skills all granting benefits to the party). It's a good example of making a character's mechanics and personality fit well together.

It doesn't bug me, but two people in our group who are more social gamers find the low-oxygen areas frightening, despite the fact that running out of oxygen is barely a threat (you can suffocate for a long time before dying, and every enemies drops one or two oxygen canisters upon death). It might've been better to theme the oz kits as jet packs and eliminate suffocation as a mechanic, since it really doesn't add anything to the game (I've never died from suffocation, it's just too easy to survive it).

I'm really enjoying it, though. It's an excellent game to play with friends, even friends who are not particularly good at games.
Liens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6068 on: October 30, 2014, 04:33:06 AM »

Currently trying to 100% complete Red Dead Redemption.

Got to the Dark Arisen final boss in Dragon's Dogma, but it's so hard and I haven't leveled enough and now I'm stuck and ah...  I'll get around to beating him one day!

Also doing a playthrough of Gears of War 2 with a buddy on Hardcore mode (first playthrough), makes me wonder what other gems I missed by not owning a 360.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6069 on: October 30, 2014, 02:28:58 PM »

http://jayisgames.com/games/kiwi-64/

Less a game and more a homage to Banjo and Kazooie, but fun for a five minute session of reminiscing.

Comes complete with items you can't collect because Stop 'n' Swop isn't a thing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6070 on: October 31, 2014, 09:28:12 AM »

im pretty some of the music is directly taken from banjo kazooie with a few notes changed lol
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6071 on: October 31, 2014, 12:48:22 PM »

Ok, I got Fantasy Life. I kinda wanted it to be a cross between Animal Crossing and the trade sim The Guild. Unfortunately it isn't, but it's still good. It's pretty much a just a big ol' grind but a very relaxing one.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6072 on: October 31, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »

It doesn't bug me, but two people in our group who are more social gamers find the low-oxygen areas frightening, despite the fact that running out of oxygen is barely a threat (you can suffocate for a long time before dying, and every enemies drops one or two oxygen canisters upon death). It might've been better to theme the oz kits as jet packs and eliminate suffocation as a mechanic, since it really doesn't add anything to the game (I've never died from suffocation, it's just too easy to survive it).

I think it adds tension and a sense of being daring by using it for jetpacking.
Compare the way it works as both jetpack and anti-suffocation and how it adds tension, with how the game would be if you'd just run out of jetpack fuel until you could kill a few more enemies and/or enter an aired zone. Just as you said, you know a couple folks for whom it ratchets the stress meter up pretty good, even if you are too hardcore to worry about pithy things like breathing and having to respawn.
The created stress adds satisfaction by "making" it from an outdoor area to an indoor one.

Not every mechanic has to challenge every player, it just has to contribute to the experience.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6073 on: November 01, 2014, 05:57:10 AM »

I think it adds tension and a sense of being daring by using it for jetpacking.
Compare the way it works as both jetpack and anti-suffocation and how it adds tension, with how the game would be if you'd just run out of jetpack fuel until you could kill a few more enemies and/or enter an aired zone. Just as you said, you know a couple folks for whom it ratchets the stress meter up pretty good, even if you are too hardcore to worry about pithy things like breathing and having to respawn.
The created stress adds satisfaction by "making" it from an outdoor area to an indoor one.

Not every mechanic has to challenge every player, it just has to contribute to the experience.

Yeah, I agree that sometimes you can fake danger to add atmosphere to the game.

The problem is, the players whom it affects don't like it, and it doesn't add much of anything to me who would like it (you have to go out of your way to suffocate). Plus you can play as Claptrap who doesn't suffocate at all.

It just feels like a poorly implemented mechanic. Not terribly so, but enough to bother me. I say this as a person who loves timed escape sections and water levels in Sonic the Hedgehog.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6074 on: November 02, 2014, 03:12:28 AM »

ok more griping about ziggurat's balance issues:

the perks you get for leveling up are massively divergent in their usefulness and the rng treats them all equally (apparently). if you're lucky you might get a perk that increases the amount of mana you get from mana pickups, if you're unlucky you get one that slightly increases the radius for automatically pulling pickups towards you. this issue is compounded by the fact that some perks have permanent effects and others are temporary.

its a similar deal with the bosses: you either get some dude you can easily cheese using pillars or you can get King Blob who bombards you with lasers nonstop and spawns other blobs that do the same.

its really a testament to the quality of the game's core mechanics that it keeps me coming back in spite of these problems.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:52:54 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6075 on: November 02, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »

Just played through all of Bayonetta 2 in one sitting.  The hype is real .. this game is amazing. 
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6076 on: November 02, 2014, 08:59:29 PM »

What makes Bayonetta 2 better than the first game? I liked Bayonetta 1, but it didn't seem amazing to me. The combat felt pretty repetitive after awhile.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6077 on: November 03, 2014, 04:23:54 AM »

They removed a lot of annoying stuff like those cryptic psuedo-puzzles, instant death QTEs, attacks that happen as soon as a cutscene ends with no warning, lengthy platforming sections, etc.

Other than that .. there's more enemy variety this time around, you fight demons as well.  More varied enemy attacks, more varied locations, the story is even crazier this time around.

The only thing I liked more in Bayonetta 1 is two of the giant boss fights .. they make an appearance but the fight is different.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6078 on: November 03, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »

bwar. I've had my finger hovering over buying a wiiu and that game is a big reason.

Also I'm interested in zombieU

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: November 03, 2014, 09:20:43 AM »

bwar. I've had my finger hovering over buying a wiiu and that game is a big reason.

same. ill probably end up buying a ps4 tho and maybe getting a wii u when the price drops (maybe even used?). i don't use consoles enough anymore to justify buying more than 1.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic