Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:00:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903043 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: November 15, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »

holy shit shadow of mordor is sooooo good. i can't remember when i last enjoyed a AAA game this much. im glad monolith is still making good games (that everyone underrates) after so many years.

story is unfortunately garbage tho, u know u have a problem when your brooding antihero protagonist is less likeable than the orcs he spends the entire gam killing.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: November 15, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »

it's SO good

it's SOOOOO good

fucking incredible that a AAA game is carried exclusively by suave orc charm. really hard to describe to people why it's so great.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6142 on: November 15, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »

I dunno. I watched my friend play it for a while, and all I saw him do was run around in a big world and kill orcs using some repetitive combat system where he would fly to them instantly and murder them in like 2 seconds. Could you explain a bit more why you liked it?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: November 16, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »

itis asscreed with an actual "living" open wrold. also suave orc charm

expanding a bit, the open world is just fantastically realized. im not even just talking about the nemesis system (though that's a big part obv and its excellent), but just in general. orcs seem to move around a lot, slaves manage to free themselves, there are monster attacks etc. the world isnt just a static sandbox that only reacts to the player, it exists on its own to an extent. i havent really seen this done in many other open world action games (other than stalker and ofc sid meier's pirates if you count that as an "action game" (tho i wouldn't)) and certainly not in a big modern blockbuster AAA one.

basically they took lessons from some very "nerdy" rpgs and sim games and applied them to a big budget asscred/arkham clone in a way that is not only accessible but also non-gimmicky.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:37:51 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: November 16, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »

yeah you dont come to shadows of mordor for the combat, you come for the experience. Delightful amount of energy spent on making cool orcs do cool things.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: November 16, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »

btw: this explains the appeal of the game way better than i could: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/06/shadow-of-mordor-pc-review/

also impmaster i think what you saw were the stealth kills. the actual combat is arkham-style brawling (to the point where they even ripped off some of the animations apparently) and is decent for what it is. it's not amazing combat but imo not unenjoyable either. and it adds some variety through multiple enemy types. im not that far yet but i heard theres a serious drop in difficulty once you unlock certain skills tho.

i also personally find the stealth mechanics very satisfying, esp because the rules for being detected are very clear (rule ambiguity is a big problem in a lot of stealth gams for me and the reason i don't enjoy the genre that much).
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6146 on: November 16, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »

The fun of Shadow of Mordor is basically just playing pranks on orcs and then running away when too many of them start chasing you down. Then climbing up somewhere high where they can't really reach you until they lose interest and shooting them in the back with arrows. Rinse and repeat.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: November 16, 2014, 05:36:16 PM »

rip
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: November 16, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »

Man swine! Ive had about enough of ye'!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: November 16, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »

plot twist: mordor is actually east london and the entire game is a pub brawl

EDIT: also i just realized the game takes the "find informants to get info on your targets" thing from asscred 1 and makes it dynamic (and a lot more fun).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:09:33 PM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6150 on: November 16, 2014, 06:10:47 PM »

the game takes a lot from The Godfather 2 (ps2, xbox360)

(edit: i'm not joking)

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6151 on: November 16, 2014, 06:19:46 PM »

rip

I actually really liked the game! Playing pranks on orcs is fun! Tongue

EDIT: What would have made it more enjoyable is if there was a more palpable effect on the world when you did things like kill orc chiefs and rescue slaves. The named orcs/Nemesis system was great and I wish they extended it to the slaves as well. Saving a slave and then running into him (or her!) later when he's now leading an attack on an orc encampment would have been sweet. As it is, it very quickly becomes obvious that aside from getting experience and occasionally advancing the storyline, your actions don't have a huge effect on the world.

The second area of the game feels like filler... they should have spent those resources just making the first area feel more alive.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:27:09 PM by Derek » Logged
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: November 16, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »

Just finished Brothers:Story of two Sons recently. Yes, I'm a bit late with this one, but I heard it being praised a lot and was planning to play it for quite a while now, but I only bought a gamepad recently. Haven't had one in years, so I bought this one specifically to play Brothers and Metal Gear Rising:Revengeance, which is also barely playable with keyboard and mouse.

I have to say, for a game that had bare minimum of conversations(done in made-up words BTW), "Brothers" manages to convey some very strong emotions. And I do agree with reviewers saying that it's one of the best examples of "storytelling through gameplay" approach. It may not be the most "game-y" game but it is definitely more than just an interactive story(even if done as point-and-click adventure it would've lost a lot of immersion) and the balance of challenge level and plot advancement is almost perfect IMO.

Oh, and MGR:R is pretty good too. Very solid(pardon the pun) Metal Gear spectacle action, which is a rather refreshing change for a MG game. Stealth elements are still in the game but to a much lesser extent so being stealthy is still beneficial but rarely required. The plot is also "classic MG" kind of crazy but it's cheesiness never bothered me, in the same way James Bond moves aren't. Smiley
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6153 on: November 17, 2014, 05:40:16 AM »

Tried playing Risk of Rain again, I still suck at that game but I really like all the mechanics in it. Having 4 moves, an item slot and loads of extra effects that can stack is pretty great.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6154 on: November 17, 2014, 08:00:21 AM »

My twin has started doing a Bayonetta 2 challenge run - all pure platinum, hardest skill, gaze of despair equipped (makes enemies constantly enraged).  He's only got Chapter 1 done so far, but it looks pretty insane already.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi40GY1ofTAfxvfyTW-UVeeRmIIV1EnpP
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:25:36 PM by Udderdude » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: November 17, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »

so many exploshunz in this gam
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: November 17, 2014, 03:32:01 PM »

ok so shadow of mordor is very good as an open world game. way more dynamic and less of a scavenger hunt than asscred (tho ive only played asscred 1&2 maybe the series has improved since then). im already getting sidetracked a lot and am not actually that interested in progressing the main story.

NOP IT IS WORSE AND WORSE

BTW, ass creed 2 or ass creed 2 BRO is considered the peak of the series By fans,
Black flag got appreciation because of the pirate part more than the ass creed part
And liberation (with the black woman) is also having honorable mention for actually bringing innovation in the series (the costumes swap)

So Yeah you haven't miss a lot of things (except if you like pirates)

Actually the first reaction of people to mordor was "more ass creed than ass creed". It was first suspected to be to derivative of a game but they pick the best and did it better.

btw: this explains the appeal of the game way better than i could: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/06/shadow-of-mordor-pc-review/

also impmaster i think what you saw were the stealth kills. the actual combat is arkham-style brawling (to the point where they even ripped off some of the animations apparently) and is decent for what it is. it's not amazing combat but imo not unenjoyable either. and it adds some variety through multiple enemy types. im not that far yet but i heard theres a serious drop in difficulty once you unlock certain skills tho.

i also personally find the stealth mechanics very satisfying, esp because the rules for being detected are very clear (rule ambiguity is a big problem in a lot of stealth gams for me and the reason i don't enjoy the genre that much).

Well the game did started as an batman game, it was about the Nolan batman, so they had access to arkham's code, But then nola goes NAH, and the pubs said Meh what about LOTR?

All return are positive so far, my brother didn't want it, got it and enjoy it. It's not massively original but whatever it stole from other game is competant and the people geek out on the strategy system of the nemesis.

ok i bought it. if it sucks im holding YOU personally accountable!  Lips Sealed

YOU ARE WELCOME  Gentleman

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: November 17, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »

Well the game did started as an batman game, it was about the Nolan batman, so they had access to arkham's code, But then nola goes NAH, and the pubs said Meh what about LOTR?

i knew that! the game doesn't really "feel" like LOTR either but thats actually cool because they're using tolkien's lore in something that isnt a typical high fantasy story (even if its just a typical antihero story with a really shitty protagonist instead). im not exactly an expert on middle earth lore but there seems to be quite a bit in there. it has a surprisingly strong identity for such a blatant clone of other popular gams.

holy fuck is that asscreed map even REAL? by the time we reach asscreed 6 or 7 every single pixel on the map is going to be a "point of interest" WTF
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: November 17, 2014, 04:47:42 PM »

Wouldn't it be weirder/worse if the map was mostly empty?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: November 17, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »

where did i even imply the opposite?

anyway, one thing i dislike about shadow of mordor is that the GTA-style "missions" don't really mesh with the rest of the game. not only is the world reset that comes with each mission extremely awkward, the structure also makes 0 sense thematically. you have to stand in seemingly arbitary spots and press a button to start the missions. most of them don't even have a "questgiver".
Pages: 1 ... 306 307 [308] 309 310 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic