Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:13:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902117 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: February 25, 2015, 03:19:37 AM »

2 temple run\rpg games popped up on steam recently and i rushed to investigate one of them.

Running shadow is a weird game full of baffling design decisions.
Its a temple run clone, but everything divided into short easy courses and you need to grind for gold to upgrade your equipment. They gate levels with equipment upgrades so you either run 4 boring easy courses or pay realsies to progress.
Enemies are nothing more than glorified obsacles, you just jump or slide them to death. Also enemies and some qte obstacles are rondomised and there appears to be no proper joystick support.
It feels and looks like mid-2000 russian mmo, down to writing and interface, probably because it was made by people who used to do them.
Its weird, i cant figure any of design choices other than gating progress with grind. Its not fun as normal running game, its not a proper mmo, you just run and mmo-drow lady tells you how you are the best.

Also it is a grimm example of player patronization: there are hawt ladies complimenting you for no reason everywhere. Funniest moment was when I failed course several times and after i beated it, dude said like "You have beated it in first try? You are truly amazing."
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: February 25, 2015, 04:07:06 AM »

Water dungeons are alright, but Great Bay Temple is stupid, cool concept with the pipes, but nothing about it is fun. I liked new Gyorg, though I would recommend people try old Gyorg since it's tense in a different way. Twinmold was a fantastic change though, how you start and how it changes midway, a total mindfuck if you've played the original. It's a conventional zelda boss fight of weak spots over just beating them down but it's not done bad here and I wouldn't really recommend people go out of their way to try old Twinmold
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: February 25, 2015, 04:09:43 AM »

Great Bay Temple was my favorite, though the aesthetics of upside down Stone Tower appealed to me too. I'm just a sucker for puzzles involving manipulating machinery like pipes, and there's so much you can do with water puzzles.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: February 25, 2015, 05:43:57 AM »

Water dungeons are alright, but Great Bay Temple is stupid, cool concept with the pipes, but nothing about it is fun. I liked new Gyorg, though I would recommend people try old Gyorg since it's tense in a different way. Twinmold was a fantastic change though, how you start and how it changes midway, a total mindfuck if you've played the original. It's a conventional zelda boss fight of weak spots over just beating them down but it's not done bad here and I wouldn't really recommend people go out of their way to try old Twinmold

i have a save file on my original n64 cartridge from last year, about halfway through snowhead temple i think. iirc i stopped playing because the remake was announced and i didnt want to burn myself out on the game before it came out. maybe ill continue that playthrough after im done with the remake WHO KNOWS
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: February 26, 2015, 11:30:59 AM »

wow the art direction in the skulltula houses is so much better in the remake holy shit.

btw i think the more colorful art direction fits better in MM3D than it did in OOT3D. suits the mood and tone of the game more.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:37:17 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6585 on: February 26, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »

Ironic considering how dark the game is, in fact it makes the game darker, more dark than a gritty edgy reboot

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: February 26, 2015, 06:13:38 PM »

everyone loves talking about how DARK it is, but its also goofy and wacky in a lot of ways. it has both of those things going on simultaneously. majoras mask is the best twin peaks videogame.

tbh i was afraid they would push the remake into a more SPOOPY GRIMDORK direction after the trailer. but thankfully they kept the wacky spirit intact.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: February 26, 2015, 06:22:22 PM »

btw i think OOT doesnt get enough credit for its story themes just because its a more "kiddy" story. it does coming of age and loss of innocence themes in a way that really resonated with with me at age 10 to 12, moreso than many other games in fact.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6588 on: February 26, 2015, 06:37:57 PM »

Metroid Super Zero Mission.

The early part of the game has some retardedly, unnecessarily difficult bits (like the crumbling ground-hopping on the way to get the bombs); but on the whole, it's pretty good. Enemies zip around really quickly, which makes it more fun and exciting than usual Metroid titles/hacks.

That, and introducing friendlies to One Finger Death Punch. That's been a great experience.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6589 on: February 26, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »

I just downloaded planetside 2, cause its the first time ive actually been able to log in, and its really fun. It's like a huge multiplayer halo game with slightly better graphics and more cooperation, although the cooperation is mostly among friends and im alone, soo..... i get to see cooperation rather than experience it.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: February 27, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »

I've been playing The Long Dark a bit. I figured out that starving yourself, but keeping yourself hydrated and well rested is a really viable strategy. The game stays fun even after you've figured out game mechanics which tend to break the immersion or whatever.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: February 27, 2015, 07:44:36 PM »

Either Gyorg is too damn hard, or I just suck at MM.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: February 27, 2015, 07:53:04 PM »

Crypt of the Necrodancer is really rad. A run is pretty short if you just do one zone, so it makes for a decent coffee break game instead of an involved roguelike such as Nethack.

Man it's easy to lose track and die, though. The challenge comes almost entirely from having to quickly plan your moves when monsters are closing in.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: February 27, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »

btw i think OOT doesnt get enough credit for its story themes just because its a more "kiddy" story. it does coming of age and loss of innocence themes in a way that really resonated with with me at age 10 to 12, moreso than many other games in fact.

Yeah but it's also more "abstract" I mean character are less "character and more quest giver that emote, MM really expend on that big time, character are more puzzle than quest giver, so it doesn't feel as abstract. You feel like YOU are helping them instead of being ask to do a task, and to help them you must understand them, it invest you personally into the task. In OOt there was some character puzzle involve but it was more flavor (mother of malon for example, or many mystery of the lore).

And that's key, the reason why they get goofy and still be pretty dark, it's not dark because the game is dark so edgy™, it's dark because you understand the action of character relative to a grim situation and how it paint them and their relation to other. It's dark because a little girl love so much her father, that despite he is turning into a zombie, she kept him close to him in a closet, taking care of everything in a dangerous land, engendering herself at any moment, these kind of thing, like the anju quest too or the grand mother faking senility because she don't want to eat the horrible meal of her son's wife. The game is really competent and confident in handling such matter in a way that feel honest and not tacky (it's not the navajo of beyond two souls of david cage), it shine through the cartoony presentation, presentation itself that is finely tune to not contradict the theme and the emotion. It's simply brilliant in how it involve you into thing like that. Other zelda have been such a downgrade since then for character and their quest ... lady bug? oh well.

JWK5
« Reply #6594 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »

Finally got around to getting Dark Souls 2 + DLC, beat Demon's Souls and the first Dark Souls but hadn't played 2 yet. I got the digital version which I can run on both our PS3s so my wife and I can tear through it together. How does it hold up the the first Dark Souls and Demon's Souls?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: February 28, 2015, 04:47:19 PM »

not as good but still pretty nice.
RaR3X2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6596 on: February 28, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »

In the last year, I went through Planetside2, CSGO and Battlefield 4.

But in the end, I don't know why, I stuck with Chivalry.
(Chopping heads is too much fun)

forwardresent
« Reply #6597 on: March 01, 2015, 03:35:59 AM »

Also played a ton of Chivalry lately. You can usually find me in Belmez screaming at something.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6598 on: March 03, 2015, 09:21:47 PM »

olliolli 2 is fantastic. i had the first game on computer but it never clicked, even with a 360 controller. turns out that the vita joystick is a huge factor in my enjoyment of the game.

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6599 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:16 AM »

Currently playing Chrono Trigger for the first time (I know don't shoot me  Beg) so far it's epic!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Pages: 1 ... 328 329 [330] 331 332 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic