Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411486 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:41:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903101 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6760 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:25 AM »

bought a pile of highly recommended games recently, and was surprised that Gravity Ghost (which i bought mostly on a whim) was by far the most engaging. to the point that i dont even remember or care what the others were.

gravity ghost is seriously something. the controls are sort of awful, but somehow that makes it MORE fun. ditto the art style. voice acting, presentation, narrative, humor, music, etc., is all super well done though. "delightful" is exactly the right word. also "bizarre".

and the concept is rad as hell: you are a ghost returning the souls of dead spirit animals to their bodies, which you store in your absurdly, cosmically long hair, while also terraforming planets to prevent a black hole from sucking up your spirit for infinity (or something). seriously. and it sells that somehow. its nuts!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6761 on: April 28, 2015, 12:14:32 PM »

Link?

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6762 on: April 28, 2015, 01:34:19 PM »

i put the mad world soundtrack in crypt of the necrodancer 10/10 best game. i just have to figure out if i can out the metal gear rising soundtrack and make the shopkeeper do the lyrics

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6763 on: April 30, 2015, 01:17:13 AM »

Heroes & Generals is weirdly entertaining. Mainly because someone thought that bicycles were key transportation method in WW2.
I appreciate designers putting game before realism. I also think rifles and clunky machine guns are more fun than standart M16 and its derivatives from other shooters. Although Survarium messed it up with the same concept: It has same WW2 guns as starter weapons but they are clunky to the point of unplayability.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6764 on: April 30, 2015, 03:16:46 AM »

what gta5 have over his predecessor that isn't bigger and more polish (or a different story)? and outside of online mode too. Not looking down on the game, asking for real.

Not much really, it's very iterative but thats not really a bad thing considering we don't get a new GTA every year. I would still call Vice City or maybe SA the best GTA.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6765 on: April 30, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »

So much marvel vs capcom 3  lately. Can't stop playing training mode trying to figure out how to do a Dr Doom infinite

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6766 on: April 30, 2015, 05:25:07 PM »

Metal Gear Rising is really fun. Love the way the vocals pop up at key points in the boss fights. It has a lot of the wild, shifting action that was missing in Bayonetta 2, like running up collapsing buildings or leaping from ledge to ledge during boss fights. The challenge mode is really neat and restricts you to basic equipment, which makes up for the fact you can break story mode by buying the fox blade early. This is one I think I'm going to play to get all the achievements, even the S rank achievements.

Broken Age is pretty fun, and I like the transition from Act 1 to Act 2. Act 2 feels like it has more polish than the first, as they've added a lot more animations for using items on objects that don't advance puzzles (aka, "Wrong" combinations). A couple of the puzzles are awkward, though. The cupcake puzzle in act 2 feels arbitrary (you know what to do but the way to do requires senseless trial and error), and the puzzle involving the Genius requires you to trade knowledge between the characters that makes no sense, since they don't communicate. Other puzzles are a lot of fun, and the devs seem to have put some work in making sure the solutions are more varied than just using the right object on the other right object (the knot puzzle is particularly clever and does a good job of keeping the hints minimal). The voice acting is great and they put a lot of effort into the character art and animations. Worth the ride overall.

The last zone in Necrodancer is ridiculously hard. Still haven't reached the final boss in hardcore mode. The game is super fun, though. The game does a great job of making the roguelike elements mesh with the rhythm mechanics so neither is too hard and overshadows the other. Definitely the best indie title I've played this year, and the one that everyone should buy to at least give a chance. It's great for playing in short bursts over a very long time.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #6767 on: April 30, 2015, 09:03:08 PM »

Played through Broken Age Act 2 and had similar thoughts to Niko.

- I appreciated that there is now actually interplay between them (although Niko is right and there is no diegetic reason why this communication should be possible [unlike Day of the Tentacle which it reminds me of])

- However, the communication is super annoying.  It's cool at first (finding out the name of something), but by the time it's based on trial and error puzzles and you have to take notes (or screenshots) it's a lot more annoying

- It's kind of amazing how all of the cliffhangers from act 1 are essentially answered within 10 minutes (probably hyperbole).  But the game ends on even more cliffhangers.  Or, if not cliffhangers, it feels like there is a missing third act. 

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6768 on: April 30, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »

I just picked up Environmental Station Alpha, after seeing Hempuli post about it in another forum, actually. It's pretty good so far, really scratches a Metroidvania itch that I have nearly constantly. It's no slouch, though-- save points are pretty infrequent, and the bosses require some study of their patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing what it delivers, though. I'm only about one boss in so far.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6769 on: May 01, 2015, 04:41:09 AM »

ugh http://bloodrizer.ru/games/kittens/

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6770 on: May 01, 2015, 05:00:35 AM »

3000 paragon here, still not done with it yet. It's the best incremental game I've played so far (or the worst, depending on how you look at it)

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6771 on: May 01, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »

But the game ends on even more cliffhangers.  Or, if not cliffhangers, it feels like there is a missing third act. 

Why do you feel this way? I felt like they tied up the loose ends pretty well.

After destroying the ships, the credits show the Plague Wall being destroyed and the Thrush being defeated/driven out. The images imply that Laruna opens to the outside world and the Thrush never appear again. The heroes saved the world by uncovering the scheme of the Thrush and escaping alive to reveal it to the world at large.

I also liked the decision to end the game just before Shay and Vella can speak to each other for the first time. It lets the player imagine any relationship between the two that they like.

Really, the only bit I didn't like in the finale was that it felt a like I was just doing things to see what happens, without a clear vision of how they were expected to resolve the problem. A better explanation for what Vella expects to accomplish by overheating the Death Ray would have gone a long way.

What do you think a hypothetical third act would deal with?

Also, somebody on another site suggested that the puzzles solved by trading out of character knowledge could be explained by a psychic connection that grows stronger as you approach the end of the game. That could almost make sense, if you assume that's what Merrick is using when he makes Shay pick maidens, and why Shay insists on trying to get Vella against Merrick's protests, as she is the one with whom he has the strongest connection. If that had been explicitly stated somewhere in the middle of Act 2 and repeated in the finale, I think I would be comfortable with that without otherwise changing the puzzles.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #6772 on: May 01, 2015, 07:09:50 PM »

So, I had to run to class right after I beat the game, so I didn't see any of the credit stuff.  I guess what you say makes sense, but that also feels like it would have been a full third act in and of itself.

I agree about the lack of motivation.  I understood fully what had to be done after trying the two items in question once, but I couldn't see why I would want to use those two items at the same time.
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #6773 on: May 02, 2015, 10:09:50 AM »

3000 paragon here, still not done with it yet. It's the best incremental game I've played so far (or the worst, depending on how you look at it)
Oh no... these are life destroyers...
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6774 on: May 02, 2015, 10:30:57 AM »

i put the mad world soundtrack in crypt of the necrodancer 10/10 best game. i just have to figure out if i can out the metal gear rising soundtrack and make the shopkeeper do the lyrics

i didnt realize you could put your own music into that game. i just made a krautrock playlist
serg a
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6775 on: May 02, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

I'm playing "100 Doors Cartoon" -- a nice puzzle game with great graphics & tricky quests.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gipnetix.esaga&hl=en
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6776 on: May 02, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »

I'm playing "100 Doors Cartoon" -- a nice puzzle game with great graphics & tricky quests.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gipnetix.esaga&hl=en

..But aren't you the developer...?
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6777 on: May 02, 2015, 12:50:49 PM »

So sly.

I've been playing HuniePop. I don't want to like it as much as I do. But I do like it, and that's why I've been playing plenty of it.

I've also been on and off of a few other titles, and hitting King of Fighters 2002 UM pretty hard since it FINALLY got released for Steam. Apparently 13 years late. (Disclaimer: Yes, I know it's an XBLA remake.)

TopherPirkl
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6778 on: May 02, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »

I've switched to playing Lone Survivor again because I'm sad about Silent Hills being canceled. And because I have a constant junkie-like itch for horror games.

Sound Designer | @phantomfreq | Demo reel
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6779 on: May 04, 2015, 10:01:04 PM »

Lateley i've been enjoying playing Devil's Dare.  I've always been  a fan of Beat em ups but this one seems to fix a lot of issues with the genre (unlike Double Dragon Neon)

According to steamspy , Devil's dare  got only 3,247 ± 1,455 owners.

Is it because they didn't do marketing at all , or steamspy isn't reliable at all , or 2d beat em up is kind of unpopular nowadays?

Seems kind of scary for future dev to jump in this genre .
Pages: 1 ... 337 338 [339] 340 341 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic