Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 12:39:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902129 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: May 31, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »

tried serpent in the staglands demo, couldnt handle it.
Pixelation is super weird. Its not 100% pixel restrictions, sometimes its just downsized normal art, and colors and pixelwork are not great on top of that. It looks like grey noisy mess and interface is a nightmare. Adding some filter would ease the pain, but now my eyes hurt.
Also i cant understand anything thats going on. From what i understand you are the moon but you got drank someone stole spices you should go that and theres like a blood book.
I wonder if Dark Souls school of non-exposition did some work there.
Also my steam version of Disciples 2 stopped working( What a doop
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: May 31, 2015, 01:21:49 AM »

i didnt realize staglands was a new game lol
JWK5
« Reply #6862 on: June 01, 2015, 03:11:46 AM »

Finally getting around to playing through Persona 3: FES with interspersed playing of Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, and Dark Souls 2.

I played through Persona and both entries of Persona 2 (Innocent Sin, Eternal Punishment), as well as various other Shin Megami Tensei games but I never got around to paying through Persona 3 or 4, so I downloaded them on the PSN and am making my way through them in preparation for Persona 5 (which thankfully will be out on PS3 too). So far I am liking Persona 3 a lot.

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is probably one of the most addictive games I've ever bought on the PSN, it makes a lot of the micromanaging of the Harvest Moon games more convenient and less time consuming and dramatically improves the combat of the earlier Rune Factory games. Much like Radiata Stories it is fun to stalk the NPCs to see where they are going and what they are doing at various days and times.

I think I've about beat the stuffing out of Dark Souls 2, all my bonfires are at 7 and now I am just kind of spinning my tires with the game. I am nearing the 200 hour mark. Anybody play through Scholar of the First Sin? Is it worth playing through if you've played through the original? I know most of the content was added into the original (which was in an update), the only real exception was the new enemy arrangements. I've seen both endings already.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: June 01, 2015, 03:19:40 AM »

I think I've about beat the stuffing out of Dark Souls 2, all my bonfires are at 7 and now I am just kind of spinning my tires with the game. Anybody play through Scholar of the First Sin? Is it worth playing through if you've played through the original? I know most of the content was added into the original (which was in an update), the only real exception was the new enemy arrangements. I've seen both endings already.

worth getting if you don't have the dlcs for dks2. it didnt hold my interest personally but i can't play dks2 anymore after bloodborne so
JWK5
« Reply #6864 on: June 01, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »

Yeah, I tore through the DLC already, so I guess it is about time to wrap up my Dark Souls 2 endeavors.

Bought Resident Evil 5: Gold and Resident Evil 6 today. I've beaten 5 multiple times but I never played 6 (though I've heard it is pretty much runs off 5). Thematically 5 is awful, aesthetically it is pretty insensitive with the way it presents its setting (yes, Gimmy, I finally see your point), and as a Resident Evil game it pretty much wipes its ass with the series as a whole, but treated as just a multiplayer action game it is ridiculously fun. Hopefully 6 follows suit (with less awful insensitive ass wiping preferably). My wife has never played them, so they should be good for a co-op spree.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: June 01, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »

the only thing re5 has over 4 is co-op. i am replaying 4 at the moment btw and it still rules. i can't think of another 3rd person shooter that is this tense.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6866 on: June 01, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »

mierda forastero

JWK5
« Reply #6867 on: June 01, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »

the only thing re5 has over 4 is co-op. i am replaying 4 at the moment btw and it still rules. i can't think of another 3rd person shooter that is this tense.
4 is awesome, but I think 5 and 6 are a different branch from 4 altogether. They are more action games than horror games. 4 manages to stay truer to its RE roots despite its more action-oriented nature (though it still lacks the scavenging aspect of the earlier games for the most part).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: June 01, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »

re5 uses almost the exact same mechanics as 4...
JWK5
« Reply #6869 on: June 01, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »

Almost, but there are distinct differences.

RE4 is built around a slower pace with more deliberate movements and the camera mostly stays zoomed in directly behind Leon which greatly diminishes your view of things (unless he is in aim mode, which it then goes off to the side and over the shoulder). Most of the combat actions are built around the idea that 1-on-1 enemies are tough, in a crowd they are overwhelmingly deadly. You have takedown attacks but they are more aimed at giving you breathing space than to outright kill the enemies (though I can tear through RE4 almost exclusively using the knife, until I get to the big/armored/gun/boss guys).

RE5 has a much faster pace, the movements are more rapid and fluid, and the default position for the camera is zoomed out over the shoulder and off to the side to give you a nice large view of the battle field. Thanks to a plethora of lethal takedown attacks, the 1-on-1 fights are easy and crowd control is manageable. Where RE4 is built around careful skulking interspersed with bouts of mayhem RE5 is built around mayhem with interspersed bouts of skulking.

The way the mechanics work (or at least the way they've been tuned) in RE4 is to create tension through vulnerability, in RE5 it creates tension through overwhelming.

You can get a gist of the different feelings of the two

and

. Skip to the last third of each video. The differences are even more apparent when you play one game after the other (RE4 feels very awkward to me after playing RE5 and vice versa).

EDIT: On another note, not that I care much about trophies on the PSN, but I am one trophy away from the platinum trophy (which you get for having all the other trophies) on RE5. My last time playing the game I did everything except finishing the last level on the last difficulty, I ended up trading the game in to get another game (back when I bothered buying games in disc form). I have vowed to get the platinum trophy this time... it's the principle of the matter, goddamn it!!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 03:24:51 PM by JWK5 » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: June 01, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »

i guess so, but the difference is in degree and not in kind. re4 is a slow paced linear shooter based around combat setpieces and 5 is a slightly faster paced linear shooter based around combat setpieces. i think some of the changes actually come from worse level design. 4 uses lots of spatial combat puzzles, 5 just goes into HORDE MODE a lot of the time.

oh also re4 IS definitely an action game. just because its not fast doesn't mean it isn't still fundamentally about action. they pretty much did a complete 180 on the resident evil series and turned what was basically a game in the zelda/metroid mold (esp RE1) where you're supposed to fear combat into a linear shooter (albeit a very very good one).
JWK5
« Reply #6871 on: June 01, 2015, 04:28:00 PM »

I'd like to see them take RE 0,1,2,3, and Code Veronica and redo them with RE4 mechanics (with the scavenging aspect of the early RE games still intact).

Though the GameCube remake and 0 were pretty awesome.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6872 on: June 01, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

I've been replaying Shovel Knight because the system transfer of my 3DS erased my file. It was the first and only time I was actually kind of okay with a save file being erased.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6873 on: June 01, 2015, 10:40:43 PM »

I just 100%ed Jump Teddy. It's a seriously brilliant platform/puzzle game that I fear isn't going to get the attention it deserves. Underneath the veneer of "cute kiddy game" is a masterwork of level design with amazing attention to detail. Heartily recommended if you've ever enjoyed a platform game.

If you want to get a taste of the game before buying it, I did an LP: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBk6-z6v3pDLzk15PtQcxdc04gIQgQ1V7

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6874 on: June 02, 2015, 03:21:03 AM »

Playing Banjo & Kazooie. Never played the whole game myself before. Currently in Click Clock Woods with 8 jiggies or something.

Got 95 notes, looked forever for the other 5, died.
Got 97 notes, looked forever for the other 3, died.
Got 97 notes, looked forever for the other 3, died.

Gave up and looked at a video.

The three missing notes were RIGHT IN THE OPEN, NOT EVEN UP IN THE TREE, BUT DOWN ON THE GROUND. And I missed them for hours and hours on end. HOW‽

Oh, well. Gonna do it again later and then we'll see what happens. I haven't found even a hint of the other two jiggies while looking forever for the missing notes either, so I fear that might be the next headache. <_>

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6875 on: June 02, 2015, 03:49:06 AM »

just wait till you get to rusty bucket bay. that level is pure sadism. the notes and the fact that you have to collect almost all of them to complete the game kinda "ruined" BK for me when i replayed it last year. tooie superior.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: June 02, 2015, 04:10:33 AM »

Already did that before. Got everything. It's awful, yes, but I actually used less time on it. :p Plus I think I've figured it out now, so I'm not as scared of it anymore.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6877 on: June 02, 2015, 04:14:50 AM »

Shadowrun Dragonfall greately improves on the Shadowrun formula. The story is much more interesting, the characters are great and there's a ton of them, lot's of dialogue for everybody and almost all missions are optional side quests. The missions themselves are great too, with more hacking, diplomacy and stealth than before.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: June 02, 2015, 04:46:56 AM »

God damn Powerslave is a motherfucker when it comes to platforming. I can't believe I put up with this shit back when I was a no good teen and these days I've lost the tolerance for it. I'll try to persevere, it should get a bit better once I've got the pickup that lets you float unless there's a total sunnovabitchin' section that I've managed to mentally repress. It's a big ask though, with no mid-level checkpoints.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6879 on: June 02, 2015, 04:58:56 AM »

exhaustive list of games that should have platforming:

1. platformers
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic