Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:55:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903090 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7160 on: August 03, 2015, 06:22:28 AM »

1. if i haven't really played an EO game before should i get untold or iv?

Depends on what you prefer. The biggest draw of Untold is that it features a proper story mode more akin to traditional jRPGs, while taking away some of the strategic freedom (creating your own party vs pre-made characters). If you don't care for story and just want to have some fun with oldschool dungeon crawling, then EO4 is simply the better game. I'd also check EO3. Imho it's the best one in the series so far.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 10:26:14 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7161 on: August 03, 2015, 06:30:09 AM »

I prefer Kirby games to Mario overall, especially the newer (wii) stuff feels better designed, albeit the difficulty curve is often lame (easy) in Kirby.

I'm playing Road to Gehenna - expansion for the Talos principle, and loving it every bit as much as the original.

in some ways kirby is nintendo's last classic franchise that still consistently keeps delivering. triple deluxe is a really nice setpiece platformer. oh and its also the only big nintendo franchise where all the spinoffs are really good (often better than the main series in fact)

shame it's always been so overshadowed by marior and zelder
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7162 on: August 03, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »

Agree that Kirby has the highest quality spin-offs of Nintendo franchises. Kirby's always been targeted at young and low-skill demographics, though, and he's resisted the push to go to free-roaming 3D that's locked him out of the kind of sprawling adventures Mario and Link enjoy. Despite loving Kirby titles, I still think it makes sense for Mario and Zelda releases (particularly the 3D home console titles) to enjoy more renown. I just don't think Kirby is suited for a big budget major release like Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword.

Half Minute Hero is a lot of fun. If you don't care to earn high scores it's pretty easy to use your gold to reset the timer a few times and complete levels the slow way. Several of the puzzles don't involve the timer at all, but rather, involve finding NPCs or equipment. There's a lot of levels, and it's easy to play two or three in a coffee break and quit on a high note. It reminds me a lot of Synopsis Quest, a game I wish were more often emulated.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7163 on: August 07, 2015, 01:37:11 AM »

im thinking of getting savage lands because it's on sale. i love exploration rpgs.

tho ive just found out the game is actually some minecraft tree punching sort of thing and now idk what to think. :/
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7164 on: August 07, 2015, 02:24:34 AM »

i have a theory that all good game designers like tight condensed experiences and all survival games are made by unity kids and hadcorez realism lovers. That would explain why you are wandering in an empty world with some barebone boring mechanics.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7165 on: August 07, 2015, 02:48:16 AM »

oh i like big and sprawling games (i actually play dwarf fortress). im just sick of every gam being a minecraft because punching trees to build stuff is such an overused mechanic. i don't enjoy crafting systems most of the time. often just seems like a more tedious way to do something that could also be accomplished with loot drops.

my other problem with survival games is that the difficulty curve in most of them is shit. it usually goes from being at constant risk of dying to a level 1 skeleton zombie goblin rat straight to (more or less) invincibility, at which point the whole "survival" thing kinda falls flat. there arent many survival games ive played where survival actually remains a concern throughout the whole experience.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7166 on: August 07, 2015, 02:58:36 AM »

that why terraria is best one.
tree-chopping is fast not crucial and difficulty increases further you go.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7167 on: August 07, 2015, 03:14:57 AM »

Agreed.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7168 on: August 07, 2015, 03:34:21 AM »

I'm playing INK. Another great indie platformer featuring a playable square Smiley Looks gorgeous and is very fast-paced!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7169 on: August 07, 2015, 05:40:43 AM »

oh i like big and sprawling games (i actually play dwarf fortress). im just sick of every gam being a minecraft because punching trees to build stuff is such an overused mechanic.

Well it's a genre trope like shooting in fps and jumping in platformer Huh?, new genre draws too much attention to them for being the same because that's what genre is.

It's healthy that a new genre is here though and still evolving, I hope they evolve npc interaction though

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7170 on: August 07, 2015, 06:47:56 AM »

Agreed.

Re-Agreed. Plus, there's lots of treasures to discover that you can't necessarily craft; and then have to use selectively until you can cross-craft them together later. The fun of a Metroidvania without the rigidity of one.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7171 on: August 07, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »

oh i like big and sprawling games (i actually play dwarf fortress). im just sick of every gam being a minecraft because punching trees to build stuff is such an overused mechanic.

Well it's a genre trope like shooting in fps and jumping in platformer Huh?, new genre draws too much attention to them for being the same because that's what genre is.

It's healthy that a new genre is here though and still evolving, I hope they evolve npc interaction though

i should have said it's an overused mechanic i don't like

i dislike plenty of established mechanics as well, such as combo inputs.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7172 on: August 07, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »

Minecraft was fun until I got overrun by 12 year olds that won't stop talking about how much they hate poor people/Jews/blacks.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7173 on: August 07, 2015, 03:34:31 PM »

Minecraft was fun until creative mode ruined everything that brought people into the game in the first place.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7174 on: August 07, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »

creative is what bring people in the first place, there was nothing but a big pile of 512² x 512 pile of creative

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7175 on: August 07, 2015, 03:38:29 PM »

dum creative mode was the original game
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7176 on: August 07, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »

Minecraft before creative was engaging because even a shit house made of dirt was satisfying to live and survive in.

Post creative mode is boring and frustrating, because the only limits to the game are how well you understand the mechanics you're trying to use to fuel your creativity. If you've tried redstone in the past, you know what I mean.

Also the original creative mode was the pre alpha phase where notch had no idea where the game was going.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7177 on: August 07, 2015, 03:47:34 PM »

there was no monster in the original game, survival was the offshoot, in fact creeper is what made minecraft popular at first, which then created the desirefor hard survival game which then spawn off  "craft and monster" the survival game revival we still have today, it was a major misunderstanding and then the hole as been filled with plenty dozen game that do just that from mediocre to excellent, the initial success of terraria is all about the aggressiveness that was upped from minecraft. It's not like the game wasn't born on this very forums right? We don't "know" the history we are part of it as literally as you can get.

Meanwhile minecraft core WAS creative all along.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #7178 on: August 07, 2015, 03:49:03 PM »

Well then misguided Minecraft was more fun than purposeful design Minecraft. I rest my case.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7179 on: August 07, 2015, 03:57:08 PM »

but minecraft was always a piss poor survival game compared to terraria, don't starve and other games that built on minecraft's survival mode. seriously, surviving in minecraft is trivial beyond the first night.

i don't think it's even controversial to say that minecraft got so huge because it's basically virtual interactive legos. it's the perfect kids game.

i moved on from minecraft pretty quickly because the survival and exploration part is what interests me and i found it lacking. i hate being "creative" in games, i always feel like im wasting time and energy that i could use to make something other than, u know, a castle in a videogame lol.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 04:02:36 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic