Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:33:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894301 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7320 on: August 25, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »

darkest dungeon is good yes

imo the biggest flaw is that it's somewhat grindy and tbh i burned out on it during early access. but it was a lot of fun while it lasted. oh also i found the narrator annoying as fuck. "dynamic" narrators in games are a cool idea but in practice it always means you're going to hear the same voice snippets over and over again.
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: August 25, 2015, 03:20:30 PM »

Silbereisen, it may be that I end up feeling the same way. Hard to say. But that's one of the reasons I try (usually fail, but I try) to wait for 1.0 before playing.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7322 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »

More games I keep playing! This time a few RTS

Majesty 2 - for a while I thought this was an old prerendered graphics game for some reason. The visuals when i ran it took me by surprise. it looks really damn pretty. I like the idea of having a more sim version of warcraft 3, but I think the Heros AI makes stuff take longer than it should because they dont pay attention to your quests.

Apox - This game feels somewhat like Men of War lite or a form of realtime Jagged Alliance lite too. It doesnt reach the appeal of either and the camapign finishes its missions a bit too abruptly for my tastes. Hopefully you wont have to absurdly micromanage your units later on. Squads on men of war are never too large to become outright unmanagable, but I have the impression Apox will haver a much larger cap.

Swords and Soldiers - This is more tug of war than rts, but I like that matches are rather fast and the UI is really accessible.

Sacraboar - I like the premise (capture the flag tug-of-war with PIGS as flags!), but the implementation is so so. For such agred graphics, the game has some horrible framerates, there is no notification when one of your units is under attack, and the collission detection or whatevs is finicky as hell. Also, the pig is just like a statue on fire, and not like a pig that runs and squeals like a little piggy when you hold it (deliverance reference!). I like the design per se, but having money work as food supply (non collectable, but can be raised with supply structures), and having another food cap is kinda strange. The map layouts are actually quite good however.

Empire Earth - I have only played the tutorials so far, and by the Lord, this is Age of Empires 1 in Space3D - the mission briefing screen is a totes ripoff. I really dont like the UI at all. The tooltips are barely visible and there is no clear separation between costs and descriptions.

Rise of Nations - Its not the first time I play this game, but I have humored returning to it after trying Empire Earth. For an ages-like game, this one feels much better at representing far more eras, but the way they abstracted the city to give way to a more Civ-like doesnt work that well IMO. I like the mechanics per se, but not their representation, as many structures that should belong to the cities (universities and others) perse are outside it.

Supreme Commander series - Same as Empire Earth. I really hate the UI on all of them. Aside from the time to destination label, I really dont like that selected units and commands share the same row.

Command and Conker: Red Alert 3 - Uprising: Again, just the tutorials so far (I hadnt played any CnC game before ever either), but I am really digging how much personality it had. Loved the chatter between the tutorial tanks. The HUD is much more interesting here, not having to worry about selecting particular factories, while still worrying about their queues on each. I dont like the mouse gestures tho, but that might be because I am used to traditonal  mouse controls. I really like how a few units make good use of the water plane, which helps having a more cohesive tech tree. Many other gaves have aval aspects that feel a bit divorced from ground+air, while here they interact much more closely due to building being able to be placed on sea and having hybrid units. Is the Naga gimmick from WC3 integrated smoothly in the game mechanics.

Guacamelee - While the humor is so-so IMO, as a mexican, this game comes as afeast for the senses. The hundreds of game homages and the player progression is rather well done. So far no mechanic has rendered any other obsolete. I always felt the space jump+ screw attack combo on metroid games to render mos of your other player progression obsolete. I havent reached far tbh, so maybe something like that will ruin it. Calacas girlfriend battel was a bit underwhelming in terms of gamefeel tho. The wall jumping+dimension shift challenges are bonkers for me, tho.

Cubetractor - I remember seeing devlog and gifs of this game and seemed like a wonderful idea, but alas, at least playig with a controller doesnt work well, and makes some levels way more complicated than they should be because the dpad is rather unresponsive/buggy.

Weird Worlds - I have owned this since forever and only recently tried it. I really like it makes justice to its name interms of weirdness, and each discovery is rather appealing. Havent engaed in combat yet, but already lost a ship due to a stupid blackhole

Giana Sisters - I remember the tech demo playign better for some reason. Its nice to have a more classic platformer, but the playable characters look butt ugly, which contrast with how lovely everytihng else looks.

Wasteland Angel - I actually enjoy the arcade style of the game, but the third person areas make everything look pretty bad. I also remember it having better visuals on the trailer.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7323 on: August 26, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »

okay forget what i said about paper mario respecting your time. i got to the battle with lord crump in chapter 7 and he has a move that can OHKO mario that he busts out when he hits low health. i get that this is pretty common but the save point is right before you have to do some super tedious platforming to enter the boss room. platforming sucks in this game and is just unresponsive enough to make multiple attempts at this sequence likely. jesus christ it's terrible.

and i was having such a good time up to this point!!!!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7324 on: August 26, 2015, 07:45:56 PM »

Another bizarre decision in that game that doesn't respect your time was having to sit through the dialogue in the island chapter where the one guy is made to say "I love you" 100 times in a row. I appreciate that they wanted to commit to the joke, but it still seemed a bit excessive.

Still a great game. Its predecessor is even better. Don't bother with Super Paper Mario or Sticker Star, though...

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: August 26, 2015, 09:06:49 PM »

I thought Super Paper Mario was pretty good, it's just confusingly named since it is in no way like its predecessors. Sticker Star, on the other hand, was more like the originals but had some glaring design flaws...

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7326 on: August 26, 2015, 09:40:00 PM »

this is actually the last game in the series for me to play. i like super paper mario! i definitely need to revisit the first one, though.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: August 27, 2015, 03:00:22 AM »

Thousand Year Door was really easy to exploit. Since there wasn't a limit on badge points, and you could collect multiples of the same badges (where the first game had strict limits on what badges you could find) it was easy to make Mario so powerful he could literally defeat bosses in a single attack. I think I blew threw the second half of the game pretty quickly that way. Is there anyone that doesn't put their level ups exclusively into badge points?

I found Super Paper Mario to be really boring in the second half of the game. The flying levels in the space zone were really boring to explore, and everything after that felt weak in comparison to the first three chapters. The final castle was incredibly boring and didn't showcase any variety. I got the feeling that a lot less effort was put into the second half of the game.

I agree Sticker Star had some design issues (Boss fights were either trivial or grueling depending on whether or not you exploited their weakness) but for the most part it was varied and fun to explore. My only major gripe was that the jungle chapter didn't have any stand-out levels. The design is also really convenient if you hate grinding, since the lack of EXP means you can skip fights and not be made weaker for it. It's a very speed-run friendly RPG.

I'm excited for the Mario & Luigi / Paper Mario crossover game.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: August 27, 2015, 03:19:25 AM »

I thought Super Paper Mario was pretty good, it's just confusingly named since it is in no way like its predecessors. Sticker Star, on the other hand, was more like the originals but had some glaring design flaws...

Super Paper Mario is super underrated. Most ppl just kneejerk hate it because its not like the others.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7329 on: August 27, 2015, 04:44:17 AM »

Super Paper Mario is super underrated. Most ppl just kneejerk hate it because its not like the others.

Agreed.

I really liked the story and the gameplay was pretty different as a mixture of an RPG and platforming. I liked its open, "you can always go back later" approach to the levels, and the hub world was interesting to explore. I thought it was pretty cool, overall. Never finished any other Paper Mario, but I think I might have beaten that one twice? Don't think I ever got 100%, though.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7330 on: August 27, 2015, 06:05:03 AM »

I dont care much about the Paper Mario series tbh. Time and time it has failed to hook me for some reason. Mario and Luigi on the other hand, I really like a lot (still need to finish Dream Team -  its harder than I had expected).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: August 27, 2015, 06:08:16 AM »

yep mario & luigi is my mario rpg spinoff
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7332 on: August 27, 2015, 07:36:45 AM »

That's a thing? Cool! Know what it's called, or what platform it'll be on?

Part of the reason I didn't like it was certainly because it was different, but my problems with the game run deeper than that. The writing in particular had me cringing any time a character opened their mouth. A lot of tedium was intentionally built into it (money grinding level in chapter 2, first part of the Sammer Guy world, parts of the space maze, etc). The cooking minigame seemed way less engaging than the first two games, but I think that was mostly because I just didn't care about the world and felt no desire to explore it further to find rare ingredients. Strangely, I actually liked the second half much better than the first... Final castle was a bit underwhelming, but some of the worlds leading up to it were pretty alright. The part you get kicked into the Underwhere early by Dimentio (I think?) was pretty neat. Pit of 100 Trials looked like it might be fun, but I never got around to giving it a serious attempt.

It's been like 7 years since I played it, so I'll have to give it another try and see if my experience is any different. Everyone else seems to see something in the game that I haven't been able to, but maybe I wasn't in the right state of mind when I first played it.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: August 27, 2015, 09:12:40 AM »

I got vanilla into super paper mario devoid of influence, it was empty, confusing and without rythm, I gave up quickly

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7334 on: August 27, 2015, 09:59:32 AM »

Is there anyone that doesn't put their level ups exclusively into badge points?
me whoops. i realized this way too late in the game to make a difference. i could reorg and get rid of some of the more convenient ones. hm.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7335 on: August 27, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »

That's a thing? Cool! Know what it's called, or what platform it'll be on?

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam for the 3DS. Slated for Spring 2016 release.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7336 on: August 27, 2015, 09:03:43 PM »

I just 100%ed DROD: The Second Sky, including all secrets and bonus content. This is almost certainly the most massive game I've ever played to completion - 10 months, 8 days in calendar time from start to finish, with very few breaks longer than a couple of days during that time period. It felt about as large as Journey to Rooted Hold and The City Beneath combined. Puzzle quality didn't drop off even slightly at any point - it's a masterfully crafted experience through and through. Highly recommended, though if you're new to the series, JtRH is probably a better place to start.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam for the 3DS. Slated for Spring 2016 release.

Neat!

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7337 on: August 27, 2015, 09:21:41 PM »

also i imported puyo puyo tetris a little while ago and it's fantastic. really wish it could've been released here. i bet the story's cute and i can't understand any of it.

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7338 on: August 29, 2015, 02:10:10 PM »

I've done only minimal gaming recently. SLOWLY getting the urge to play stuff back.

Think I'm gonna try to finish off a chapter in Nanatsu Kaze tonight. I need to get back into ChoroQ HG3 as well -- that's pretty gentle. REALLY wanna spend more time with Tales of Rebirth since initial impressions is that it's the best Tales of game by an absolutely huge distance, but language barrier (Nanatsu Kaze's writing is *waaaaaaaay* simpler) + emulator bein' doofy.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7339 on: August 30, 2015, 03:07:21 AM »

morrowind is on gog now.

i have such a love-hate relationship with bethesda lol. on the one hand they are far and ahead the best in their particular niche (open world sandbox rpgs). otoh their games are always so fundamentally flawed (i don't mean bugs). in the end morrowind is probably still their best despite piss awful combat and other design issues.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic