Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:33:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 [368] 369 370 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 894086 times)
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7340 on: August 30, 2015, 03:19:16 AM »

i remember at the time people were like "this game is the most beatiful game ever but balance sucks and world is dead" and many were more favorable toward gothic or newerwinter.
it was certainly an experience though
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7341 on: August 30, 2015, 03:20:08 AM »

gothic (love the games) is way different from TES tho neverwinter is a poop.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7342 on: August 30, 2015, 03:21:21 AM »

I called my character in Shin Megami Tensei 3 Jetsin Beebar
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7343 on: August 30, 2015, 03:29:29 AM »

gothic (love the games) is way different from TES tho neverwinter is a poop.
main campaign was, expansions are probably the best d&d crpg ever.

edit:
probably after planescape, but its not really fully d&d.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7344 on: August 31, 2015, 04:52:12 AM »

tried out guild wars 2, remember being hype for it.
i want my free money back.
none of cool advertised features are in the game. Its not even a real game since there appears to be no failstate.
You press 1 and see enemies die. They cant hurt you and you are instantly healed after every enemy. Sometimes you need to press F on static objects. Maybe itll get gud, but now its cookie clicker walking simulator.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7345 on: August 31, 2015, 04:55:36 AM »

sounds like every em em oh
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7346 on: August 31, 2015, 05:05:15 AM »

newerwinter is better even here.
of course i mean recent mmo. it has good battle system and good introduction that pits you against stuff that can kill you. Its kinda decent game even if you throw away all the mmo progression garbage.
And this game was free before it was reasonable.
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7347 on: August 31, 2015, 02:03:09 PM »

I could never get into neverwinter. one of my problems was even after playing it a long time I couldn't get over the disconnect of seeing a game that looks real time but is actually turn based under the hood. once combat got a little more a bit more advanced I recall a lot of it was just people throwing stuns at eachother and stuff (maybe it was just whatever campaigns I played) I thought it was kind of boring.

guess I also don't like how lots of things are set up in dnd, like the resting to recharge spells and stuff. and I never cared much for the whole ac system completely deflecting blows unless you're lucky enough to roll past a certain threshold. I remember the first boss of nwn being an intellect devourer? and me and my friend basically just attacked it and kept missing like 95% of the time.

I enjoyed it for what it represented though, I loved the idea of a game that was so modular and gave you so much access to make whatever kind of game you'd like to with the engine. It was lots of fun mapping in the editor.

I have lots of fun memories with morrowind and its editor was really inspiring too, I just wish it had good combat lol

cobralad you saw critics preferring nwn and gothic to morrowind? that's interesting, on tv I remembered people gushing endlessly about how good morrowind was, like on extended play and toonami

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7348 on: August 31, 2015, 02:34:48 PM »

i played both of these games when they were new. they were among the first pc games i ever played. nwn was kinda ok and easy to learn because i already knew D&D, morrowind impressed the heck out of me and changed how i viewed viewed videogames.

i never played any of the expansions for nwn btw
yeahjim
Level 0

asdf

View Profile
« Reply #7349 on: September 01, 2015, 11:28:46 AM »

The real NWN was on the persistent world RP servers. One of the craziest hotbeds of creativity, hurt feelings, delusion, and egomania that the internet has ever produced.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7350 on: September 02, 2015, 05:29:04 AM »

I get goosebumps reading Richmond's investigation of Georg Prime in Suikoden II. That little snippet of text is probably the most important passage of the series, setting the stage for the entire plot of Suikoden V. It makes me wonder how they developed the continuity of this series. Did they really make a plan for eight years into the future when they wrote that text, or did the team working on V take the text and decide to make a game out of it?

It's been 9 years since the last title... Konami pls. Give us more Suikoden, and not as a bloody Pachinko machine!

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: September 02, 2015, 05:45:34 AM »

I've been busy playing Shovel Knight, as I wait for the Plague Of Shadows DLC to Drop. I've been tring to achieve all the feats, and the one thats eluded me the most is "Hurry Up!" as I'm quite dreadful at Speedrunning. (Never tell me to rush. EVER! It won't end well.) That said I did manage to aquire the "Impossible!" & "Penny Pincher" feats which certainly proved rather challenging to do. (CURSE YOU POLAR KNIGHT!)

I'll be honest I rarely play Indie games, honestly just stick to very specific IP's, that said there have been a few jems released on console that have caught my eye like Shovel Knight, Mutant Mudds, and the as of yet unreleased, Freedom Planet so I'm not completly against branching out away from my comfort zone.

You might actually be surprised to know I'm not a dedicated Nintedo Fanboy, I own a PS3, and enjoy games like Little Big Planet, Ratchet & Clank, and even picked up Dragon Ball Xenoverse last time I made a trip out to Gamestop.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: September 02, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »

I get goosebumps reading Richmond's investigation of Georg Prime in Suikoden II. That little snippet of text is probably the most important passage of the series, setting the stage for the entire plot of Suikoden V. It makes me wonder how they developed the continuity of this series. Did they really make a plan for eight years into the future when they wrote that text, or did the team working on V take the text and decide to make a game out of it?

It's been 9 years since the last title... Konami pls. Give us more Suikoden, and not as a bloody Pachinko machine!

I remember someone telling me that the original Suikoden guy did the worldbuilding/plotting for Suikoden 1-3, but left after that, which is why 4/Tactics/5 were prequels?

I need to get back to S5 whenever I feel like gaming again. Suik's like one of the few JRPGs series I was really getting into these days.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: September 03, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »

LISA: The Painful was very good; LISA: The Joyful (The DLC) isn't so hot.

It dumps most of the exploration by giving you extremely linear areas to travel, and there are only two playable characters with about three unique attacks between them. Combat consists of using your one attack, timing the action command, and healing when you're weak. This is made all the worse because most areas of the game contain nothing but a series of fights followed by a boss.

It's also possible to inadvertently make a mistake in the first five minutes of the DLC that locks you out of the "best" ending, so to see it you have to play the whole thing again. Since your second playthrough will look and feel exactly like the first except for the ending, you won't enjoy it.

Get the base game (it is good!) and skip the DLC. Read a plot synopsis if you want to know what happens (it's not actually that interesting).

Environmental Station Alpha by our own Hempuli is really good. It starts off like a super lo-fi Metroid Fusion rip-off (the story, setting and monsters are the same) but as the game progresses it diverges. The upgrades are different, and the game has a fun way of using changes to the station to mark progress instead of powerups - for example, turning off a system drastically changes the layout of the jungle level, and restoring power turns on a lot of traps and weapons that make retreading old areas of the station different and more difficult.

If you just play to beat the final boss, it's just a Metroid clone. If you keep going from there, though, there are a bunch of riddles and secret rooms to find that are completely optional and unlock hidden powerups. Graphics are reused very little, so almost every room has some original background features to make it memorable. If you keep going and uncovering more secrets, you'll wind up with a very La-Mulana-esque series of puzzles (although these are a little easier) to solve and reveal a sizable secret world that accounts for almost a third of the content in the game.

A few gripes: unnecessarily lo-fi graphics make some features hard to identify and there's a high amount of backtracking even when you know where you're going. Another is that the 'secret' half of the game doesn't seem connected to the main game, so you'll meet a lot of strange creatures and visit a bizarre place and never understand what they have to do with the rest of the station.

The positives outweigh the negatives, though. Pick it up if you liked La Mulana's mix of arcane puzzles and platform exploration.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: September 04, 2015, 01:42:45 AM »

I remember someone telling me that the original Suikoden guy did the worldbuilding/plotting for Suikoden 1-3, but left after that, which is why 4/Tactics/5 were prequels?

I need to get back to S5 whenever I feel like gaming again. Suik's like one of the few JRPGs series I was really getting into these days.
I haven't heard about that but it makes sense considering the dropped quality of Suikoden 4. I'm glad they got their shit together for the fifth installment at least and ended the series for the foreseeable future on a satisfying note.

I think one of the most underrated aspects of Suikoden 2 is how it respects the player's time. In many JRPGs it's a chore to go through random battles because of the transitions and slow animations. But in Suikoden 2, entering a battle is almost instant. And during the fight, the characters jump at each other simultaneously or rapidly after each other, resulting in really quick combat rounds unless a Unite or a Rune is used. There are also options to bribe, run away, or automate fights. With all these conveniences available, I never had any issues with the random encounters in S2.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7355 on: September 04, 2015, 04:17:00 PM »

time respect is the biggest factor in my enjoyment of an rpg

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: September 04, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »

i love rpgs that disrespect my time (im serious)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: September 04, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »

i bought farming simulator 15 because i heard so many good things about it
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: September 05, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »