Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:23:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 902478 times)
Drof
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7500 on: October 07, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »

I just got Assault Android Cactus, and am goddamn ready to get a mate over to do coop. It looks brilliant, and I've talked with the devs a few times, who are really chill.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: October 08, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »

Soma is just Amnesia/Penumbra except sci-fi.

like i said, what i wanted bioshock infinite to be
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: October 08, 2015, 04:43:47 AM »

Capcom vs SNK 2 isn't making the rounds w/ fightmanTIGsourcers?

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: October 08, 2015, 05:35:00 AM »

Capcom vs SNK 2 isn't making the rounds w/ fightmanTIGsourcers?

I dont have my dreamcast anymore Sad

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7504 on: October 08, 2015, 06:14:21 AM »

I can only play it on my ps3, but that obvs isnt online... or is it?

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: October 08, 2015, 06:53:17 AM »

Soma is just Amnesia/Penumbra except sci-fi.

like i said, what i wanted bioshock infinite to be

Same, I always want the next Bioshock to be System Shock 3.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: October 08, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

system shock is pretty much nothing like amnesia/penumbra tho
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7507 on: October 11, 2015, 04:06:50 AM »

Just started on Plague of Shadows recently. Been getting use to the controls, but still not really feeling it. Sometimes I feel like it's too much to control and I just lose it and there I go into a pit! And it happens a lot even when I'm trying to simply make it to an easy platform. Even as I'm nearing the end of the game (haven't beaten it yet) I still don't have a full feel of it yet. Not expecting to master it on the first playthrough of course.

But MAN. There are some parts of a couple levels that I feel were sloppily made. Probably because this wasn't initially designed for Plague Knight. Specifically, Propeller Knight boss. It took me so many tries to beat him. I did change up my Potion Strategy several times, but even my winning combination still gave me a harsh time. Plague is crippled by him I find. Even with an appropriate combination, dodging him is terrible, because Plague is sort of designed to build up his jumps. So when you fall back you have to effectively "build them again", but you are vulnerable at this point and if you get hit into a pit, you're probably dead. Plus...he can reflect certain attacks which makes it all the worse. How will I do this with the "Itemless Feat" I have NO clue.

There was also an Ice Level where you had to use a Speed Potion to get the Treasure in it that I felt could have been made better. Its not terrible, I had to give it a lot of Trial and Error though. If they just started it out with getting the player USE to it, it would be fine. But you're immediately presented with a instant-kill crusher and a small gap. And I wasn't sure where to use the speed boost nor had I gotten the chance to freely use it when I got it since the area I got it had pits and such. Plus you can't see what's in front since you're dashing like mad...so yeah.

Overall a lot of fun still, think there are things that could have been made better so far. Though Plague Knight's jumping, while fun, goes against a design method of mine...but that's a story for another day. 

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: October 11, 2015, 06:43:46 AM »

The demo for Puzzle Depot is pretty excellent. It can be played as a stand-alone game and enjoyed. It's Sokobon with items and equipment, and offers a lot of variety in how you play. Levels have multiple solutions, and the way you play is different depending on whether you're trying for a high score, a low move count, no damage, or are trying to obtain secret items from bonus rooms.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7509 on: October 11, 2015, 09:30:31 AM »

That looks excellent! Shame it's Windows-only right now. The concept kind of reminds me of DROD RPG.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7510 on: October 11, 2015, 09:50:23 AM »

jwk, baconman. We need to play some games Smiley

Have either of you tried fightcade yet? After hours spooky has been playing a lot of it online and i think i'm ready to take the plunge this weekend.

We should resurrect that fighting games thread.

I have it installed, it's pretty solid depending on connection. Been using public wi-fi hotspots though, so it's been spotty, much better in a regular residence. That said, I have it set up for Marvel Super Heroes, MSH vs. SF, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and MegaMan 2: The Power Battles.

I'm trying to get CvS2, MvC2, and 3rd Strike (the TRINITY) set up, but it's not cooperating. Does CPS3/NAOMI have a BIOS that's required to play? I'd do KoFs too, but the only one I'd care to netplay that I can't via Steam is XI, and I don't know of any Atomiswave emus...

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7511 on: October 11, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »

I 100%ed Where is my Heart tonight. I really wanted to like it, but it was a profoundly frustrating experience the whole way through. As much as I liked the IGF demo I played a few years ago, it seemed to translate poorly into a full game. The worst parts were the levels that required me to transform the fireflies back into monsters, and because of the way fireflies move randomly and pass through walls, half the time my monsters would die and there was nothing I could do about it. Rainbow spirit rotation was also pretty unpleasant.

With some more refined level design and a few mechanic tweaks (fireflies!), and a little bit more restraint with the visual gimmick, it could be really solid. The most frustrating games for me are always the ones with huge potential that have some fatal flaw that sabotages it. The aesthetics are really outstanding (especially audio!), but the level design make it so unfun that it's impossible to appreciate it fully.

Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: October 12, 2015, 07:46:34 AM »

I'm still busy playing Disgaea, I've been so into it I haven't visited the forums in a while. I actually managed to sit down, and finish the main portion of the game in Disgaea 4 - A Promise Unforgotten, and as always this proved to be in itself a major challenge, one that required countless hours of grinding to overcome.

@LucasMaxBros My recommendation for the later bosses is to use the Vat, and the Slow Falling Bomb Jump to stay above the action while droping bombs made up of Spark Powder, Impact Fuse, & the Default Casing to deal a lot of damage very quickly, however you may want to switch back to the default powder during the Enchantress Fight as the combination will do a number on the ground beneath you.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
monsterfinger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7513 on: October 12, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »

I dont play too many games as busy making them and marketting them, but was playing Bloo Kid 2 last night on Ouya which is a great little platformer.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:56 AM »

I'm playing Etrian Mystery Dungeon. It's one of Chunsoft's more challenging and complex roguelikes, mainly because you're controlling a party of 4 characters rather just one. Party control is something several roguelikes have tried but none has done really well. It tends to either slow games down a lot (Steam Marines, Dungeon of the Endless) or just ends up being messy. EMD is not quite a breakthrough in this regard but it handles party management better than most. Basically you get to switch the character you control at any time as a free action while the remaining 3 are AI controlled. The AI is "dumb" but very predictable in its actions and you can definitely exploit it to your advantage to some extent. It's kinda weird how you have to fill up a meter to give commands to your AI buddies, but since you can switch at any time I can live with it.

Other than that it's mostly typical Mystery Dungeon mechanics. When you die, you lose all your items but there doesn't seem to be character permadeath (as far as I've seen). Dungeons are "bite-sized" and gradually unlocked as you complete quests. The game also has EO-like skill trees for each character which works well. Unfortunately it uses the exact same boring level generation ripped straight from the original Rogue every other Mystery Dungeon game also uses. Everything is made up square rooms and tile-wide corridors (which are often completely unnecessarily long I might add). I've already talked about this in another thread lol. They try to shake things up by introducing rivers that run through levels, but other than creating obstacles in some places, they don't do much.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7515 on: October 13, 2015, 03:10:26 AM »

Yo if you like Starcraft and board games then give Forbidden Stars a shot. The build paths in this game do an awesome job at an "RTS experience" in a ~3 hour board game. As soon as I finished my first match I was browsing the upgrade decks and thinking what I want to try next time. The asymmetric factions are fantastic too. They feel very balanced despite playing completely differently.

Unlike Eclipse, this is a pure warfare game so don't expect to sit in a corner and just tech your way to victory. If you want to win in Forbidden Stars you have to go for the objectives and push your enemies out of your way. That said, I think the two games complement each other very well. Forbidden Stars is great with 2-3 players but has too much downtime at 4. On the other hand, Eclipse needs 4 or more players to be able to use diplomacy (which is a really important part of Eclipse imo) so you want to have a decently sized group for that. I will probably never play Eclipse with less than 4 players from now on because Forbidden Stars is so damn good at those low player numbers.

My god look at those beautiful components Fantasy Flight you've outdone yourselves

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7516 on: October 13, 2015, 03:26:19 AM »

i've heard forbidden stars is partially based on starcraft: the boardgame, so it makes sense that it would be "rts-like".

btw its funny how FFG went from videogame licenses in the mid to late 00s to the warhammer license for a lot of their games. i haven't played the "real" wh40k in years and have no interest in it, but i own lots of newer boardgames based on it lol. i'm guessing vidgam licenses were too expensive and didn't generate the cross promotion FFG had hoped for (most videogamers i know don't play any "nerdy" boardgames at all).
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7517 on: October 13, 2015, 03:41:57 AM »

I have never played anything related to Warhammer before this game so I'm overwhelmed by the lore of this universe haha. It's really interesting to google the name of one of these factions and find 20+ pages of lore related to that faction. It helps you get into the mindset of your chosen team and you can "roleplay" what you're doing in the game (within reason).

I'm guessing that the expansions for this game will add more factions, tiles and upgrade cards. After you take out the shitty insert you can probably fit several more factions into the box without any problems. Fantasy Flight inserts are so terrible that you want to throw them away immediately after opening the box for the first time, but I guess it's because they assume that players are going to expand the game eventually and make it obsolete anyway.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 03:55:57 AM by Nillo » Logged

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7518 on: October 13, 2015, 03:53:04 AM »

I'm playing Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

btw: in the boss fights, the game changes up slightly and you control each of your party members individually. this is imo pretty awkward and highlights one of the problems with party-based roguelikes: when each of your characters only gets to move 1 tile per turn, things get confusing quickly and it becomes hard to really coordinate your actions.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #7519 on: October 14, 2015, 10:07:29 PM »

A little bit of Deus Ex: Revision. I got too used to Phantom Pain style stealth so DX style stealth is killing me! Now there's snipers in Liberty Isle (as well as loads of NSF, they're swarming the place) or I got seen by someone and didn't notice which is easy since there's all this extra detail getting in the way and night is almost pitch black. Castle Clinton looks great and Hell's Kitchen has been so heavily expanded it's like it's a totally different place.

This is going to take some getting used to.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic