@Dacke, I definitely will, thanks. 07/18/2012
Coding last night was intentionally light as I've had too many 2am - 2:30am coding sessions in the past week. Glad that fire is back in my belly, but I don't like suffering so much at work in the morning.
I spent most of the time refactoring the trap-adding code from the night before, cleaning it up, making it more presentable and maintainable. I abstracted out the control listener from the game state class and cleaned up how the ghostly currently selected trap gets rendered.
I rewrote the castle renderer itself to make use of libgdx's SpriteCache class. It's a really useful thing that let's you create a cache of static images, turn them into a single quad, and then save that directly onto the GPU. So instead of each frame re-rendering 'width * height * numLayers' worth of tiles (which with current max level sizes could be up to 7200 tiles) I only render 'numLayers' worth of cached tiles (which, at the moment, is 3).
My goal for the coming weekend, other than seeing the new Dark Knight movie, is to get each current trap's activation code in, and to design 2-3 basic levels that are actually meant to be playable. That'll put me on a solid foundation of code that I can begin iterating on to make it fun.