- February 22, 2012
- Rounded off the bat enemies, including basic bat, tough bat, mother bat, and king bat. I'm really glad I've been doing so much animation on Lumberjack because it's made me a lot more comfortable with the idea of animation a crapload of enemies.
Regarding non-aggressive creatures, that's something I am definitely going to include no matter what. Things like the birds and cats in Fez, and the squirrels in Super Meat Boy. I already have small glowy fireflies that are just particles, but I'm going to have interactive ones too. But I'm saving that for a bit later because it's more of a polish element.@GCShepard
Yeah, I actually tried out wormy/chainy enemies a while ago but never got very far with them. I think they have a lot of potential though so I'm going to tackle those next.@Jakman4242
Wow, nice ideas!
- I really like the idea of deflecting things back - I had worked that into a boss design but again, never got too far with it. Gonna give it another go though.
- The idea of enemies with weakspots is really good, but I'm just kinda dreading having to deal with different collision boxes within the same enemy because of how Game Maker works. Also, the enemy would have to be really big since it wouldn't work on a human scaled enemy. So again, cool idea, but will require a lot of work.
- Got that already
- Yeah I have small versions of that right now.
- That's quite interesting actually. I don't think I will do it with bats though, but probably a ghost that goes transparent instead. But yeah, cool stuff. Gonna try to get to those soon.
The way I'm kind of thinking about enemy designs right now is I'm kind of grouping enemies into families. Each enemy family would hopefully interact well with itself to create difficult challenges, and it also has the benefit of suggesting things about the world and the lore, which I really like.
So, as an extension to the last question, do you guys have ideas for different enemy families? Here is what I have so far:
- Bats (basic, bigger bats spawn smaller ones)
- Birds (tend to have swooping behaviour, move quickly)
- Ghosts (not sure yet)
- Fairies/Sprites (different colours are weak to different arrow types)
- Humans (soldiers and archers and whatnot)
- Robots (start with a basic frame and have different weapons attached)
So I pretty much have the basic ones covered, but I'm having trouble thinking of really "out there" ones, like wormy/chain enemies whatnot. Anyway, I'd love to hear your guyses thoughts.