Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:46:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingGreat games with terrible dialogue.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Great games with terrible dialogue.  (Read 13219 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:28:59 PM »

Tales of Vesperia.  Solid RPG, but the cutscenes and writing were pretty hard to bear.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »

final fantasy adventure for gameboy. mildly interesting story was hampered by bloody-piss-poor dialogue.

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »

It's much harder to list great games with good dialogue, frankly.

I tried to replay Chrono Cross recently - a game I loved as a kid - and was struck by how clumsy the dialogue was. Totally ruined my experience, but it was still above par for a JRPG. The writing in most games is dire.
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »

Vanquish. Actually this applies to the whole story, but the dialogues were specially terrible.

I mean, really, it was as if, when they were finishing the game up, the developers noticed they had forgotten to write anything up, so they went to a bar, got really drunk, and, in the following day, based every single line on the random scribbles they had scrawled on their napkins.

Great gameplay though.
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »

Yeah, the standards for writing is pretty damn low.  I'm doing my small part: if a game has awkward and stupid/cliched dialogue, I simply refuse to play it.

I am a bit more forgiving when it comes to bad localization, but not very.

(fact: this standard of mine has saved me a lot of money.)

Another part we can all do:  praise the games with good writing, even if they aren't super-great at it, just to prove that we actually do care.  Case in point: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors.  Sure it's a bit silly and stupid, but it is definitely trying very hard to raise the bar and I think we can all agree that it's a nice sentiment.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »

999 was awesome. When I noticed the Cat's Cradle tie-in, I freaked out.  Screamy

Let me add "Wild Arms 2" as an example of a game with the crappiest. localization. ever. Shadow Complex is pretty bad despite being written by Orson S. Card. Also, the early Breath of Fire games are just... illegible.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 03:13:32 PM by SundownKid » Logged

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »

Half Life 2 Italian localization sounds like it was made asking random guys to read things into a microphone; they got every accent wrong, same guys have different voices at different points, translation is plainly made up, and everyone tries to mimick some Romenian/Russian accent Droop

I was on the point of dropping it for the dubbing alone, fortunately I "found" an US version.

ForceDevice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 02:51:50 PM »

Let me add "Wild Arms 3" as an example of a game with the crappiest. localization. ever.

The first two are even worse. The dialogue in WA3's english version is just overly bland and repetitive, while in 1 and 2 it doesn't even make any sense most of the time.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 03:10:54 PM »

Oh crap, sorry, I meant Wild Arms 1&2. Wild Arms 3 actually isn't that bad at all, and is arguably better than the later ones, but I was playing it recently so I just confused their names.  Facepalm

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »

i thought the story of wild arms 1 was great, one of the best jrpg stories. of course story and writing are different things; final fantasy tactics is an example of a game with a great story but poor translation.

Tiderion
Level 0

Game Writer/Designer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 05:44:19 AM »

"I hope that's not Chris' blood..."
Squibb_Wiggins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »

Monster Party for the NES. Fun game, lots of levels, interesting and outlandish bosses, monsters that make you go "wtf?", but those few words in the game... Facepalm I remember thinking as a kid "That was brutal. Aunt Betty had better have gotten me the best game to play ever."
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 10:42:47 AM »

Deceased Crab: Sorry, I'm dead.
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »

that was part of its charm, though, and fit in with the weird atmosphere. the intro was absurdly hilarious!

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:33 AM »

Phantasy Star II. Some rather bad and obvious typos won't allow me to take the game seriously. I mean, "Allready?"

Harvest Moon (SNES) as well. Oh my, not only typos, there was even one speech that had difficulty with the text box and got printed out farther than the screen did.
N'graugt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 04:30:45 AM »

Baten Kaitos.

Both games were pretty sweet, but the dialog made me cringe like I just got punched in the side by a very heavy man.
Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 12:47:22 PM »

Just Cause 2 has horrible dialogue and voice acting.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
P-Flute
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 05:33:47 PM »

I'm going to go with...every Harvest Moon.  And I say that because I played many of them.

Of course, they've gotten better over time, and nowadays things are mostly palatable if not very wooden.

On the flipside, I'd totally recommend, say, Persona 4 for fun dialog.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 04:10:39 AM »

Dissidia. Fantastic game gameplay-wise, but the story and dialogues are just  Epileptic.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
iffi
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 12:43:41 AM »

Pretty much every Touhou game I've played has at least a few bosses with incredibly pointless dialogue, especially in the first few stages. They're not exactly painful to read, but they make one wonder if ZUN was drunk when writing the dialogue (given that it's ZUN, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was).
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic