Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:12:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingGreat games with terrible dialogue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Great games with terrible dialogue.  (Read 13208 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:16 AM »

Horrible writing and the worst voice acting ever combine into a shitfest of epic proportions. So bad it's good.

I'm also seriously disappointed that no one has mentioned the infamous

yet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 07:18:26 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Toom
Level 3

You have to tell me if you're a cop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 09:33:48 AM »

is mostly a swipe at voice acting, rather than writing, but I wouldn't give dogs some of these lines to read.

I'm gonna beat yer ass wit dis moon tree!
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 12:34:53 AM »

Vanquish. Actually this applies to the whole story, but the dialogues were specially terrible.

I wouldn't say they're terrible at all. They're incredibly hammy, that's for sure. But the delivery is actually pretty solid and I wouldn't put it past Mikami to have made a lot of that awkwardness intentional.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »

Anyone played the casual hidden object game series, Mystery Case Files? Dire Grove had great acting and dialog, very believable actors, but the new one, 13th Skull, had horrible awkward acting, and the writing sucked. The people's excuses for having you search for objects as well as their awkward acting made the game so crap, it was actually funny having to watch them.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2011, 05:23:21 PM »

i think a related (interesting) topic might be

'games with great stories and terrible dialogue'

since a lot of games have really good plotting but really bad dialogue, usually due to poor localization (for instance, the original version of final fantasy tactics)

dangerousday
Level 1

iacedrom

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »

"Mista J.C. Denton, een da fresh."

So wonderfully, deliciously campy. If Human Revolution has well-written dialogue and believable voice acting, I will be sorely disappointed.

"Oh my god. J.C. A bomb."
"A bawhm."
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 01:03:16 AM »

Vanquish. Actually this applies to the whole story, but the dialogues were specially terrible.

I wouldn't say they're terrible at all. They're incredibly hammy, that's for sure. But the delivery is actually pretty solid and I wouldn't put it past Mikami to have made a lot of that awkwardness intentional.
Yeah, Vanquish doesn't take its story very seriously, none of Platinum's games do (with the possible exception of Infinite Space). The humor isn't as obvious as in Bayonetta and Madworld, but it's there.
Cain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:02 AM »

i think a related (interesting) topic might be

'games with great stories and terrible dialogue'

since a lot of games have really good plotting but really bad dialogue, usually due to poor localization (for instance, the original version of final fantasy tactics)

See FFX. "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA"

Audio Engineer/Composer wtj party.
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »

Starcraft 2.

Every line spoken in a terrible country accent was bad.

Every line was bad.

All voice acting was bad.

"Now how 'bout I push this BUTTON with a SKULL  on it?"

"It's time for some LIQUID REFRESHMENT!"

"Those dominion eggheads really thought of everything! *flush.*"

"Sir, the suns energy output has just jumped five hundred percent!" "SLOW DOWN, MATT! TELL ME WHAT IT MEANS!!!!"

"These STRUCTURES lack POWER... Perhaps if we built PYLONS we could USE them AGAIN."

Every line from the generic lab-nerd character.

It's all so terrible.

Tychus, a character that doesn't know how to use a simple radio, is trusted in a giant superweapon armed to the teeth with giant cannons and nuclear warheads that launch at the press of a button.

"It's an ABOMINATION. WHO could have CREATED such a thing." Senile zeratul doesn't remember finding out and confronting the guy in the previous game.

Ach.

I still can't get over the way they butchered that story. To try to turn it into firefly, ack.

Also,

NARUD IS DURAN BACKWARDS!

Terrible story and terrible dialog.

Decent multiplayer gameplay though.

PowRTocH
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 04:27:28 PM »

Iji.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2011, 05:12:37 PM »

"These STRUCTURES lack POWER... Perhaps if we built PYLONS we could USE them AGAIN."

this part doesn't sound that bad -- it's just basic instructions about what to do. the rest is bad tho ya

sc1 didn't have very good dialogue either but next to sc2 it's great in retrospect -- perhaps because they kept the sub-stories very tight (they had to tell an entire self-contained chapter of a story in 10 missions, whereas sc2 is lazy and has like 30+ missions per campaign)

im9today
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »

final fantasy tactics has great dialouge take it back.

"blame yourself. or god."

let that soak into you
Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »

I'm also seriously disappointed that no one has mentioned the infamous

yet.

You know, I've never got why people make such a huge deal out of this line. It's... a kind of goofy thing to say, and that's pretty much it. But it always gets talked up as "urrgh this is the worst line in a video game EVER! I can't believe how much it sucks hahahaha"
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »

Generally the actual writing (text) is good, and the overall story/plotting is awesome (especially how it can be impacted by the player), but the delivery and voice acting is absolutely hilarious. Watch as JC Denton

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »

Harvest Moon to this day, is still one of my fave series & Friends of Mineral Town is one of my fave GBA games but had one of the worse translations. 

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Renton
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2011, 04:50:08 AM »

Generally the actual writing (text) is good, and the overall story/plotting is awesome (especially how it can be impacted by the player), but the delivery and voice acting is absolutely hilarious. Watch as JC Denton

What a shame.
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:58 PM »

I'm not so concerned about bad writing in some games because game designers, who sometimes double as writers, can't be good at everything! They already have to be good at understanding people and just about everything else. I don't remember Tales of Vesperia having ridiculously bad dialogue, in fact, I've never really bothered to look into dialogue in mainstream, published games. I'm much more critical of indie games for some reason. :L

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 01:13:07 AM »

I don't remember Tales of Vesperia having ridiculously bad dialogue, in fact,

It doesn't have bad dialogue. Corny in some places, maybe, but Tales games tend to be pretty cliched.

Mass Effect's dialogue was worse, though. The over the top Renegade dialog makes up for it.

Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:26 PM »

Castle Shikigami 2, at least the translated version had such horrible voice acting and "engrish" dialogue that I'm still not sure if it wasn't done on purpose for comedic effect.

It ended up being a fairly decent shmup that was made even better by the shittyness of its dialogue.
Zaphos
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:51 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r3ZWvfff-w&feature=related
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic