Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:22:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe New Music Challenge Thread - Mark IV: Tracker Edition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: The New Music Challenge Thread - Mark IV: Tracker Edition  (Read 18780 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 06:41:57 PM »

Okay, my attempt at doing some NSF-style orchestration has failed miserably.  I think I'm going to commit to trying to do a transcription of this (from this film), for better or worse.  It might end up seeming a bit sparse, but I think it'd be a really useful study in the use portamenti and (a certain type) melodic shaping for me.  Also: it's not too long, and I think it's very beautiful indeed.
Jrsquee
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »

If you're using a Mac, why not try Renoise.  I downloaded it, and while I've not had much time to use it (suck at trackers anyway) it looks pretty good.  I never really figured out Milkytracker.
increpare
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »

If you're using a Mac, why not try Renoise.  I downloaded it, and while I've not had much time to use it (suck at trackers anyway) it looks pretty good.  I never really figured out Milkytracker.
I'll give it a try.  I did try it a couple of weeks ago, but didn't get into it too much.  (that said, I'm pretty much at burnout-point when it comes to 'trying to figure out how to get yet another unfamiliar audio-creation product to work'-type of things :/  )
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »

I tried the Renoise demo for a while, until I realized that it doesn't let you save to any format other than its own Renoise-specific file format.  No mp3 / wav export either.

It seemed like a cool enough tracker, but don't waste time writing stuff in the demo just to find out you can't actually export to a format that anyone else can listen to.

Also, huh, I just sort of lumped musagi in with trackers, although with synthesized sounds instead of just samples.  Plus it has the purity of lo-fi-chiptune-ness in its favor.  But if I need to bite the bullet and actually overcome the learning curve in milkytracker, I guess I could always create a few samples from musagi instruments and go from there.

However since I had fun making this little mini-sized loopable tune this afternoon in musagi, I'll have to upload it anyway.

http://thoughtlost.org/content/random/spookyfoot.mp3
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:02:54 PM by joshg » Logged

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 12:08:33 AM »

... I'll actually be using Nitrotracker on the DS, witch actual voicesamples. It'll be like a capella rickroll.

increpare
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 03:40:49 AM »

I tried the Renoise demo for a while, until I realized that it doesn't let you save to any format other than its own Renoise-specific file format.  No mp3 / wav export either.

It seemed like a cool enough tracker, but don't waste time writing stuff in the demo just to find out you can't actually export to a format that anyone else can listen to.
Unless you pay.  :D

Also, huh, I just sort of lumped musagi in with trackers, although with synthesized sounds instead of just samples.  Plus it has the purity of lo-fi-chiptune-ness in its favor.  But if I need to bite the bullet and actually overcome the learning curve in milkytracker, I guess I could always create a few samples from musagi instruments and go from there.

However since I had fun making this little mini-sized loopable tune this afternoon in musagi, I'll have to upload it anyway.

http://thoughtlost.org/content/random/spookyfoot.mp3
Nicely enough balanced, but, personally, I thought that the melody dragged a bit.  But if it was a single loop playing in a particular scene in the context of a whole game, that would cease to be an issue.
Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2008, 04:06:43 AM »

Wait: are we allowed to use musgai/pxtone?  I thought we were restricted to using actual trackers?

Serious question - why isn't pxtone a tracker? It looks like one to me, but maybe I'm missing something really important...

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
increpare
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2008, 04:22:34 AM »

Wait: are we allowed to use musgai/pxtone?  I thought we were restricted to using actual trackers?

Serious question - why isn't pxtone a tracker? It looks like one to me, but maybe I'm missing something really important...
In my mind what distinguishes trackers from pieces of software that make module-like audio files.  And what makes them trackers is more their vertical spreadsheety interface than anything else.  See what wikipedia has to asy:

"A tracker's interface is primarily numeric; notes are entered via the alphanumeric keys of the computer keyboard, while parameters, effects and so forth are entered in hexadecimal. "
increpare
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2008, 05:09:09 AM »

Well, given that I spent so much time at it, here's a (buggy) start to a transcription of the Lacrymosa from Berlioz's The Grande Messe des Morts (

) that shall not be finished.  I didn't get around to doing much with the dynamics, and I got tired of having to listen to the *whole* piece through every time I needed to debug one particular part of it.  And process ended up feeling a little bit too much like a MIDI transcription, which isn't really the way I wanted to approach this comp.  Nonetheless, it took enough hours that I don't feel in the least bit bad about posting a link to it here  :D
Jrsquee
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2008, 05:39:38 PM »

Well I've been having troubles.  Sad

1:Milkytracker, the main mac tracker, has several rather important functions that can only be accessed with keys that do not exist on my macbook.  Not essential functions, but ones like 'insert row' and the like whose absence can be rather intensely frustrating at times.
I just found out that you can use the 'help' button (right next to 'home') to do the same thing as 'insert'.  Makes things about ten zillion times easier!
increpare
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »

Well I've been having troubles.  Sad

1:Milkytracker, the main mac tracker, has several rather important functions that can only be accessed with keys that do not exist on my macbook.  Not essential functions, but ones like 'insert row' and the like whose absence can be rather intensely frustrating at times.
I just found out that you can use the 'help' button (right next to 'home') to do the same thing as 'insert'.  Makes things about ten zillion times easier!
I don't have a "help" key or, indeed a "home" key.  However, there is a dialog you can access by using the menu bar at the top of the screen (that's not visible if you're running milkytracker fullscreen  Angry ) where you can set apple+up to act as 'insert'. 
 Angry Angry Angry

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »

can anyone say piano roll?

and also, hideous.

i look forward to your capella rickroll indefinately.. hahaha
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2008, 11:07:10 PM »

Yeah, well, we'll see if I can manage to actually do it. I'm so easily distracted, I haven't even started yet Sad

increpare
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 03:10:53 PM »

Okay; I'm going to have to leave my aborted attempt at that lacrymosa as my entry (erm: I *can* upload the nsf file if anyone really wants it, but unless I get requests I'm going to leave it as an mp3 link).
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 05:55:21 AM »

This sounds like a very good excuse to dust off my oxygen 8 v2. Smiley I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »

Could this be concider a tracker cousin?
http://www.tenori-on.ca/
IT look so neat. almost like playing a gameboy :D

Available for Freelance
Jrsquee
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 06:55:10 PM »

Here's my first go with Milkytracker!  It's not really lo-fi/chiptune, but close enough I hope.
increpare
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2008, 04:16:30 AM »

Here's my first go with Milkytracker!  It's not really lo-fi/chiptune, but close enough I hope.
I quite liked that! Rather nice and mellow, and the slowdown at the end came quite well.  But the other aspects of the ending left me feeling rather confused.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 05:46:42 AM »

Okay; I'm going to have to leave my aborted attempt at that lacrymosa as my entry (erm: I *can* upload the nsf file if anyone really wants it, but unless I get requests I'm going to leave it as an mp3 link).

NSF file please.. that was the whole point for me.

thank you.

I don't know if there was some confusion or something, but i do think i tried to be clear that it'd be nice to hear the actual modular music file ie: the .XM, .MOD, .NSF etc.

EDIT: just read that and it came off kind of mean. I'm not trying to be mean or anything I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 05:50:19 AM by Annabelle Kennedy » Logged
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 07:51:57 AM »

Wow, these sound great!  I especially like Jrsquee's piece...very melodic.  Let's get some more pieces posted!

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic