Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:06:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioThe New Music Challenge Thread - Mark IV: Tracker Edition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The New Music Challenge Thread - Mark IV: Tracker Edition  (Read 18822 times)
increpare
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

Okay; I'm going to have to leave my aborted attempt at that lacrymosa as my entry (erm: I *can* upload the nsf file if anyone really wants it, but unless I get requests I'm going to leave it as an mp3 link).

NSF file please.. that was the whole point for me.
yep, no problemo; here 'tis.

Erm, has the deadline been extended in any particular way?  (I might bug-fix it a bit more, maybe extend through to the next section, if I thought there was: I know you've been caught up with offline stuff Annabelle, so I don't mind too much either way).
Untitled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 09:49:58 AM »

I'll be damned if the deadline's today, I just saw this now and started a cool track Sad.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »

I think the deadline is "Who cares, just make some sweet chiptune goodness RIGHT NOW."
 Gentleman

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »

http://www.nanokostudios.com/anne_project/XM/Hannah.xm
alright.  heres mine.

comments appreciated, i want to see what everyone else is making! i will extend the date until more people post.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2008, 11:32:28 AM »

I haven't even started on mine. I suck.

Jrsquee
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »

Whoops.  My previous entry was neither chiptune nor a demake.  Maybe I should read things instead of just providing a cursory glance.

I'm now working on chiptuning

from Bioshock.  I'm learning it for piano right now, so that might make the tracking go a bit easier.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »

Wow. That song sounds so incredibly awesome, yet so incredibly hard to play.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »

What's a tracker, and how does it differ from other music making software?

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 05:17:51 PM »

Its basically like, filling out a scantron test and then listening to the filled in squares play back to you, then like, well, having a piano roll in a normal sequencer.

Also they produce modular files.

Much less visual and intutitive, but theres sort of a simply beauty about it.
Untitled
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 05:26:42 AM »

Oh damn, haha, I guess I should read rules carefully before starting. Didn't know the song had to be a cover Embarrassed. I was just so eager to make a chippy, haven't started one in weeks.
Here's what I've done so far anyway, I think I'm going to finish it because I'm really happy how it's turning out. I'll try a cover song after I finish this

http://ukdemoscene.org/unt/tunez/tables.it
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:04:58 AM by Untitled » Logged
Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 06:23:44 AM »

Wow,  Untitled that was AMAZING!  I listen to a lot of chiptunes and this is already one of my favorites.  Man that song rocks.  I haven't worked on any songs in a while but your song may have inspired me to start up again haha.  Great work.  Please post up the finished version and if you have any other songs I would be interested in hearing them.

Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:27 PM »

Sorry I haven't been around in the music competition I restarted, but I just hit a major bout of depression which kept me from doing basically anything for about a month. I'm hoping that's over with now, but I'm really not sure. Anyway, I thought I'd check in and see how the music challenge was going, and maybe make something new for it, but I'm concerned; it's been nearly THREE weeks since this one was started. The fifth should be under-way now. Extending the deadline is fine, but I don't see any reason why that means the challenges should stop.

Anyway, I don't feel prepared to learn new software right now, I just wanted to make some music. I'll just wait for the next challenge (or maybe I can go back and do the third, which I missed). Either way, I'd like to see a new challenge thread up soon. If I felt better I'd jump start it myself, but I don't think that would be wise right now. I hope I feel up to sticking around tigsource for a while, it's always educational.

RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 07:40:18 AM »

I am right with Kobel on this one, and actually almost made a post yesterday about the need to get the next challenge up.  Let's do it!

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
increpare
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »

Yeah; I've not had the time/patience to go back and fix my 'entry'.  It's going to be left as it stands, alas.
RadRuss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2008, 08:49:40 PM »

So...new challenge?  Let's get a victor for this one decided and get the new one up.  I want to get composing!  What's the hold up?

Go check out my music!  www.russwallace.net
Problem Machine
Level 8

It's Not a Disaster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »

Russ, at this point I think maybe you should go ahead and start a new one yourself. I would if I was sure I could actually finish a piece right now, but seeing as you're really into it I think that you should take the initiative here. There's no reason to stand on ceremony to the point where the music challenge dies because of it; this is supposed to be pretty informal, I think.

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »

one of the greatest thing ive ever heard was Glomag's cover of joy division's disorder.

turns out 8-bit joy-div is what i had been looking for all my life.

http://www.glomag.com/music/Disorder.mp3

i wish he did a whole album worth of joy division covers.
its just magical.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 01:08:53 AM by fish » Logged

increpare
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2008, 06:52:47 AM »

Russ, at this point I think maybe you should go ahead and start a new one yourself.
I'd like to second that sort of; I'm good with whoever wants to start a New New Music Challenge thread though.  Even would start one myself later one, if no one's beaten me to it before then.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2008, 03:15:21 PM »

Better late than never, I suppose Smiley This is one of the songs we play in my irish trad band:

Gallagher's Frolics (As a chiptune)

Agh, sorry, I'm a bit rusty. Also knackered. Tired

increpare
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 08:39:36 AM »

Finally downloaded a mod-player for my laptop

Better late than never, I suppose Smiley This is one of the songs we play in my irish trad band:

Gallagher's Frolics (As a chiptune)

Agh, sorry, I'm a bit rusty. Also knackered. Tired
Hah: I really like the sound of that! Combines chiptuney harmonization pretty well with (irish) trad-ness Smiley

Oh damn, haha, I guess I should read rules carefully before starting. Didn't know the song had to be a cover Embarrassed. I was just so eager to make a chippy, haven't started one in weeks.
Here's what I've done so far anyway, I think I'm going to finish it because I'm really happy how it's turning out. I'll try a cover song after I finish this
I quite liked the melody in the second half of this, especially the last four seconds of it Smiley

Woah; that's really light.  I mean, it's weird, because it's actually quite thick around the middle and lower registers, but the stuff you've got on high is really really unimposing (while still being audible).  Things interact really well, and nothing drowns anything else out.  That said, you might want to consider rebalancing things in the second form 1:50-2:00-ish.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic