Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:43:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsZombie House
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Zombie House  (Read 2513 times)
LuizZak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »

Zombie House is a defense game I'm developing using Game Maker.

Info:
It's all about building a defense in a house during the day and surviving the zombies during the night. It has an advanced lighting system I found while wandering through youtube called CBNA SmartLight.

The main gameplay characteristics it'll feature:

• High emphasis on the lighting aspect, meaning you'll have to set some lights up for when it gets dark, because it gets DARK
  • Same-screen multiplayer support (no plans of online multiplayer, right now) Forget that. The game had an upside down flip and now it fully supports Multiplayer, but the same screen is broken.
  • Highly Cooperative gameplay, and it's tons more fun to play with friends too!
  • During the day, the players have to set the barricades up, craft ammo and stuff up at work benches and set things all right for the night, when the monsters come

Of course that all once it's finished, if entropy doesn't swallow my code into a vortex of vaporware

Development status:
  • 12/15 Updated the crafting system with working functionality. Balanced zombies spawing and resourcs usage on crafting bench a little bit.
  • 12/12 Added a basic crafting system, and updated the title graphics.
  • 12/10 Updated the AI, added multiplayer and added crafting resources. Updated the HUD, added interactible props and added a better sound system (FMOD) to go together with the nicer sounds.
  • Lighting system is up. I'm currently implementing a more robust of an AI as well as interactible entities (switches, buttons, work benches, etc). Working at the pixel art, as well, since the house is only one floor high at the moment...

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?oto6h1426m3uw0m
Latest Version as of [12/15/11]

YouTube link of a recent (04/03) WIP (it's a little dark no thanks to fraps):

YouTube link of latest version (10/12/11)

Screenshots: (12/10/11)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 12:33:01 PM by LuizZak » Logged
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »

Sounds like a mixture of Nazi Zombies and the Outbreak mission from Starcraft 2. Nice!
LuizZak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »

Hey guys been a long time, but now that there's no more high school duties I can get to work on this game full time.

Without further wait, here's a download link for the latest working version of the game:

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9vdlv96693v5qex
(remember it's still WIP)

A list of changes:

• Working multiplayer! You can now slay zombies with friends online. You just need to setup a server by clicking 'Start Server' on the main menu.
  • Another kind of zombie: A fat slow creature that punches with the force of 10 men.
  • Added an interactible props system, right now you have a droppable minigun, land lights, and a crafting table (that does absolutely nothing yet)
  • About the droppable minigun, it works much like that one from Team Fortress 2. You can keep the gun spinning by holding down the reload button [Numeric Pad 0 or Shift]
  • A Resource System. It's going to be used by the crafting system. Currently there are 3 types of resources: Metal, Powder and Wood. I would have added Gasoline but the HUD was too small. Speaking about HUDs:
  • A new, better looking HUD. It now presents the avaiable weapons, resources and health, for all the players, as well as a head sprite that changes depending on the player's state. The hud system breaks when there are more than 4 people on the same server, however.

There are a few things that I must address, that could be called 'bugs', but I call them 'lack of official implementation':

- You can't die yet. The health bar just becomes negative. It's kind of fun to watch it happen, though.
- You can't craft anything yet.
- The game gets boring because when you run out of bullets you can't craft more, and there's a lack of objective yet.

Well, I hope you guys can ignore that last list and enjoy the game as much as me and my friends do when we test play it every time I come up with a new build.

Also, some visual candy so this doesn't present as a massive block of text-only boredom:

Screenshots:

YouTube link (as of 12/10/11):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk8yg8bHP8I&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for trying out my game for those who do! Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 03:11:51 PM by LuizZak » Logged
Bryant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »

Ugh, games like this make me wish I had a Windows machine Smiley  Excellent work Smiley

FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »

The lighting looks amazing!  Great job so far!
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 08:37:06 PM »

word  Kiss

Angelbait
Level 1

SCARY!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:38:23 AM »

Holy crap why isn't there more comments in here!?

This game is awesome, I cannot wait to see where you take this.  Traps?  Perhaps house crafting Terraria style?  Who knows!  Lol

No seriously though, this has a lot of potential, keep it up man.

Current: Cows With Guns           BLOG/TWEET/FB
LuizZak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 09:32:52 PM »

Hey guys!

I'm back with a cool update. It's the crafting system! Well, it's not the real thing, but it's a base I can work on. Right now you can craft a grenade launcher and a shotgun for the absolute price of ZERO resources! Yay for me for being too lazy to create and balance the resources spending system!

But it's ok, I can do that later, 'cause now I can sleep assured that there's a good system to start working on. Oh and there's a cool new title screen. Pics bellow!

Pics of the new crafting system

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 09:38:26 PM »

I think this screenshots needs more pixelated font

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
LuizZak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 12:30:05 PM »

I figured it might be time to push out the latest build of the game. It now supports crafting, both single and multiplayer. I'll now work hard on adding on content and balancing things on multiplayer.

Mediafire link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?oto6h1426m3uw0m

I think this screenshots needs more pixelated font

I'm still looking for a font that's the right size and shape. I don't have many pixel fonts and I'm too lazy do draw one, but I'm sure it'll take just one quick look at dafont.
LuizZak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:45:33 AM »

Oh boy, it's been a looong time since the last update!

Well, I have a good reason for that. I'm porting the whole game to XNA! And it's comming along really good, as the following youtube video shows:

For this port, I'm using an XNA sprite engine I developed myself called GDEngine (it's pretty sweet, give it a try if you're a dev!), and boy this has taught me a thing alot about memory management...

Well, I can't provide a download link to the game right now (sorry) because the thing is pretty unstable right now, but as soon as I fix an issue with the engine's dynamic timestep (or something like that), I'll provide a link right away!

I'm off,

-Luiz
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic