Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:57:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasjin [Updates!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [Updates!]  (Read 95789 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 06, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »

Masjin is a team-based online shooter thing with flavours from TF2 and maybe a bit of Minecraft. The game is under heavy development, but it's playable and according to the players has offered some fun!

Players can select from 5 classes, which are:
  • Cybermason: A class that can dig walls even without any digging machines. Cybermasons are also much better at using the diggers.
  • Scientist: These guys heal team members automatically just by standing near them. They also regenerate hitpoints over time.
  • Fighter: Fighters have much more powerful guns in comparison to the two other classes, so they're ideal for attacking.
  • Ninja: Ninjas can't shoot and have less HP, but have pretty powerful swords instead. They also jump higher and have natural cloaking.
  • Engineer: Engineers can create items even in the field, and they can repair turrets by standing near them.

Even though the classes are present, the main emphasis is on the different machines and vehicles the players can use. These include stuff like diggers, airplanes, mech suits and turrets.

FINAL VERSION GET!
In the lobby, you can create games by typing to the textbox in the upper-right corner and pressing 'create', and when joining you'll have to press 'refresh', the select a game and press 'join public'. For joining a private game, type the name of the game to the textbox and press 'join/create private'.

C = shoot
X = jump
Z = use/pickup
(More precise control listing can be found from the in-game control adjustment screen!)
Please note: The game is far from finished. This is my first time ever doing online code, so it's a bit sloppy and buggy. Weird, possibly even game-breaking bugs are an everyday thing, so don't hesitate to reconnect in case something happens. I'm quite sure I will never 'finish' this totally, so there will always be some weird bugs, some of which may be even out of my skill to be fixed. The game is also rather memory-heavy, albeit the update 1.62 helped a lot.

(Old thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17137.0)

Credits
Music by Artem Bank
Stuff by me
Sound effects made with SFXR by DrPetter

ALSO WATCH THE TRAILER:

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:13:12 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

moonside
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »

looks great, link? *edit: there it is!*
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 12:02:57 PM by moonside » Logged

Filth
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »

Vehicles only used by a certain team would suck in my opinion, mostly because it'd take away a great deal of the current 'strategy' the game offers. I think research will be the thing that'll need ore and only aid your own team.

Yeah, I'd assume that once the vehicles can be destroyed, the whole 'too easy to lose vehicles to the other team' thing won't be a problem.

Also, one of the updates fixed my framerate issues, now it's running at around 60-70 Smiley
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »

I've been playing and enjoying a lot. Last round, though, our team went triple scientist and absolutely destroyed the other team. They didn't get a second captured. Scientist teams are severely broken, basically.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »

I see. I'll do something about that in the next version, hehe.

Version 1.63 is out! There aren't very many updates here, but anyway:

• Bigfixeeess
  • Portable turret! (Which may be horribly broken, we'll see)
  • The safety areas heal you now
  • Speed implants, that give you a permanent speed boost until you die.

VERSION 1.63 GET!

JCSopko
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:30:49 PM »

I was on that triple scientist team. All you have to do is not allow scientists to heal each other. I've been loving the game, it's taken many hours of productivity from me =P

I posted two threads on reddit to publicize it a little and get people to play and directed them to your site. It's the least I could do for such great free games. Keep doing what you're doing Hempuli!

reddit threads:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/gjl8y/masjin_an_online_teambased_tf2styled_2d/
http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/gk8x9/masjin_an_online_teambased_tf2styled_2d/
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:39 AM »

Thanks a lot for that, JCSopko! Also I'm glad to see that most of the replies are positive.  Beer!
I guess making scientists not heal other scientists is a good idea. Implementing that now. I'll also try to add either
a) Research or
b) Destructable vehicles
to the next update. The problem with the latter is that it'd require the ability to build more of them, which in turn would basically require a whole new fabricator. Oh well. Also The biggest reason why I've been hesitating to add vehicle destruction is that even now the game is very susceptible to random bugs with the object IDs. I'll try to explain:
  When you enter a vehicle, the game sends data about who entered the vehicle, and also the personal ID of the vehicle to identify which one it was. All vehicles belong to the main category 'items' (wow ain't I smart Corny Laugh), so the IDs are spread to all vehicles and items. Anyway, when the other players receive the message, their game will check which object has the same ID, and see you driving that object.
  So then, if it happens that the IDs somehow are not in sync, for example if the message of entering one hasn't reached all players, or some player has exploded a bomb and due to lag/messaging error it hasn't exploded for other players, the IDs will be mixed up. This can be seen in the occasions where a player seems to be flying an invisible plane and such. So, if a vehicle is destroyed, the game needs to mark its ID as 'free', and send that same data to all other players. Since there's so much data going everywhere, the chance of losing this message is not very high but anyway still there, and it may happen that one player doesn't get it that the vehicle is not there anymore, leading to more extremely funny bugs.

The best answer to this would be forcing resending of all items every once in a while. I'm not sure how laggy that is, though. I probably ought to experiment a bit.

tl; dr: The destructable vehicles can bug!

Edit: it also looks like the new mini turret isn't working like it should. Making a quickfix 1.63b now and then beginning to work on the bigger changes of 1.64!

Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 05:20:53 AM »

Hempuli, you never cease to amaze me with your awesome game ideas man  Beer!

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Del_Duio
Level 2

Supreme Omelettelord

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 05:23:48 AM »

Oh and how about changing Engineers over to Ninjas? Maybe give them the ability to poison other characters and drain some HP over time? Possibly a small chance to deliver a knockout blow which incapacitates a character for (X) amount of seconds?

And plus... they'd be NINJAS!   Hand Knife RightNinja Hand Knife Right

DXF Games: Just a Cleric, Equin- The Lantern, Hasslevania, ODW, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye and more http://dxfgames.com
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 05:37:24 AM »

Maybe... Ninja

Anyway, here's the update 1.63b. Changelog:

• Fixed one enormous bug with the new turrets
  • Made the scientists not heal scientists
  • Added autoupdating (the game looks automatically for updates once every day, after which you'll have to do it manually)
  • Added a new fabricator for machines. This'll be necessary when I add destroyable vehicles.

VERSION 1.63b GET!

I'll try to get 1.64 done today but it's not sure if I can make it!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:41:27 AM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »

Version 1.64 is coming up nicely, though there's still some work to be done. Also I'm quite sure the first released version with destroyable vehicles will be rather unstable.

EDIT: Uh oh, while working on this I bumped to an ENORMOUS HUGELICIOUS bug and I'm now spending time fixing it. I'm nor sure if this is a good or bad thing.

EDIT EDIT: Oh PHEW, looks like the bug wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. I mean, it was bad in that it had the chance of completely frickin' breaking the game but fixing it isn't too big of a problem (or so it seems)!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:33:47 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »

1.64 is out! Changelog:
  • Vehicles can be destroyed now! This is probably hilariously buggy at the moment, so please report all weird things as usual. Smiley
  • Fixed a huge bug in item management. Basically all the vehicles/items that the round started with were reset for each player joining, which resulted in stupid bugs.
  • Other small bugs are now fixed, again again
  • Cybermasons can now also dig ore! This is crucial since the diggers may disappear as the game goes on.
EDIT: As I expected, there were some rather awful bugs, so I made a quickfix update.

VERSION 1.64b GET!

EDIT: It seems that a bug where certain players or all players in one team (usually blue) become invincible is becoming pretty usual. I need to find out why. Ughh...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:24:55 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 04:42:42 PM »

Go! Hempuli Go!  Hand Joystick Well, hello there! Hand Joystick We keep on playing!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »

The destructible vehicles are so prone to bugging that I guess I'll have to remove the feature from the game for now.  Tongue

Tomorrow I can't work on the game much, but from now on the main emphasis will be on fixing some bugs (unless I get carries away with designing new items). Mostly I mean the invincibility bug. Which is *really* *annoying*.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »

I remember from messing around with artificial lag a long time ago, if the host is lagging, bullets move slower on his screen. They won't do damage if they miss for him but hit for others. This may be why the invincibility bug happens, and probably why there are delays when taking damage. Damage should be probably be handled locally.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 02:49:05 AM »

I remember from messing around with artificial lag a long time ago, if the host is lagging, bullets move slower on his screen. They won't do damage if they miss for him but hit for others. This may be why the invincibility bug happens, and probably why there are delays when taking damage. Damage should be probably be handled locally.

I guess you're right. Nonetheless, I'll try to find out at which point the damage message gets lost, or if the player IDs bug somehow, thus leading to the damage not working.
(What's really weird as well is that the mini-turrets also become invincible very easily)

PickleMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »

Since bullets and stuff travel in a straight line, you can easily interpolate the line the bullet travels, or even just send a vector when you shoot a bullet.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »

Since bullets and stuff travel in a straight line, you can easily interpolate the line the bullet travels, or even just send a vector when you shoot a bullet.

That is not the problem here; the bullets fly and everyone sees them, but once they hit a player the damage message somehow gets lost. Since the messages get lost so rarely usually I'd be ready to bet that it's a coding bug, but on the other hand clientside damage shouldn't bring any new bugs. Unless someone writes a macro that shoots bullets infinitely fast.

EDIT: No update today. Sorry folks! Tomorrow I'll make 1.65 with clientside bullets and hopefully lots of bugfixing. Also ability to host/select other servers.

PickleMan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »

Sorry, misunderstood the problem Tongue but anyway, do the bullets keep sending x and y coords?
Reefpirate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »

Had a lot of fun playing this for about half an hour!

I like the simplicity of it. It reminds me of an old freeware game called Taso, and ya, mixed with a bit of Minecraft and possibly Liero?

I was a bit confused about how to dig properly. With the cybermason I just shot the ground until finally I dug through. However, I saw other players who were fighters or other classes who were digging a lot faster than me, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong!

I'll definitely come back and play this every now and then to see how it goes...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic