Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 05:48:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasjin [Updates!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [Updates!]  (Read 95793 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 09:25:36 PM »

Aww, thanks moooosh and ReefPirate! Smiley You two chose a bit bad moment to try the game since the 1.64 update made it a lot more 'unstable' in the sense that it's more usual to get invisible vehicles and other desynchronation bugs between players.

I like the simplicity of it. It reminds me of an old freeware game called Taso, and ya, mixed with a bit of Minecraft and possibly Liero?

I was a bit confused about how to dig properly. With the cybermason I just shot the ground until finally I dug through. However, I saw other players who were fighters or other classes who were digging a lot faster than me, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong!

Yeah, actually TASO was one main source of inspiration to Masjin. I mentioned it in the original post but I guess not many know that game. Liero wasn't really in my mind while making thus, but the games do have their similarities.

As a cybermason, stand next to a wall and hold the shooting button. You're digging if you can see debris flying all around your character. If you've seen other classes digging very quickly without a digger, they're probably just bugging. As I said, you and mooosh chose a moment to play the game where the amount of bugs is higher than normally, I'm afraid.

Reefpirate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »

That's hilarious... I thought I detected some TASO in there! I haven't played it in probably 10 years or something, and I remember looking for it a while ago but not finding it. It really wasn't popular at all, but it was a cool game.

And ya, I saw fighters climbing/digging through the dirt like crazy in the last game I played, with no diggers. Must be glitching out Tongue Oh well, keep working away at it, and hopefully it'll smooth itself out.

lesslucid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 01:49:08 AM »

Maybe now vehicles can be destroyed there's a use for the engineer? When a vehicle blows up, it can leave behind a pile of "wreckage", and if the engineer stands in the wreckage for long enough, they fix the vehicle and it can be used again?
hughperkins
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »

Looking at the gifs, this looks really fun!  Reminds me of xpilot, which I played a few times at uni, and it was the only time - bar playing doom - when I actually got up in time for breakfast!  Since I didn't actually have to get up, having played all night...

Don't suppose... any chance of a linux version?  I suppose I can run a vm and stuff, but I'm very lazy Embarrassed
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 08:50:16 AM »

Maybe now vehicles can be destroyed there's a use for the engineer? When a vehicle blows up, it can leave behind a pile of "wreckage", and if the engineer stands in the wreckage for long enough, they fix the vehicle and it can be used again?

I'm afraid I need to remove the vehicle damage right after it was added, at least just to see if it was the reason we got a lot of bugging in this version.

Seems like I just finished version 1.65! Changelog:

• Destroyable vehicles removed for the sake of bugs.
  • Damage should be fully or at least mostly clientside now, which should fix some bugs.
  • The game now remembers your last-entered nickname.
  • You can change the server and port in the 'server.txt', but the hosting app isn't ready yet!
  • Boosted both turrets and speed chips.
  • You can now only see games that use the same version as you in the lobby. This should make it harder to break the games of other people by barging in with an outdated version!
  • A new item, the Spy ID! I really like the concept, hopefully you will as well.

VERSION 1.65 GET!

hughperkins: Nope, sorry. It's importable. Try wine, it should work to some extent!

Next thing I'll work on will be research. RESEAAAARRCH

piper65
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 09:56:23 AM »

Looking at the gifs, this looks really fun!  Reminds me of xpilot, which I played a few times at uni, and it was the only time - bar playing doom - when I actually got up in time for breakfast!  Since I didn't actually have to get up, having played all night...

Don't suppose... any chance of a linux version?  I suppose I can run a vm and stuff, but I'm very lazy Embarrassed

For me it works perfectly on wine. except for the auto update everything is ok (wine version 1.2.2)  Grin
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2011, 11:15:24 AM »

Once again I had to update to 1.65b because of stupid buggery. I hope the vehicle bugs have been fixed for good now, there was one really stupid mistake I had made that basically made dying in vehicles make the vehicles bug for all but you.

Get it from up there! Also attempted to fix a couple other bugs.

lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2011, 12:55:56 PM »

So I got the idea from a bug where it looked like a player could ride two vehicles at once, but... what if the engineer could fuse two vehicles together to make a new one with abilities from both original vehicles?? (would require ore?)

I think it'd be also cool if engineers could move faster in a vehicle, or if shots from a vehicle with an engineer did more damage than normal vehicles.

Also, aren't the bought vehicles a bit overpriced?

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2011, 04:07:38 AM »

I think I'll ditch the whole engineer class in favour to one with more clear advantages. I reduced the price of the vehicles, but I guess some may still be quite expensive.

(There wont probably be an update today due to a family party thing, but I'll get back to it tomorrow (or if I'm lucky, later today).)

Filth
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 04:47:42 AM »

What about changing the current scientist to a medic and having
a new more cybermasonish scientist (mostly avoiding the battle and doing the research things)?

I haven't noticed this before, but it's really easy to shoot through blocks. You might want to check the collisions again.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 05:27:46 AM »

What about changing the current scientist to a medic and having
a new more cybermasonish scientist (mostly avoiding the battle and doing the research things)?

I haven't noticed this before, but it's really easy to shoot through blocks. You might want to check the collisions again.

Can't say I'd have noticed that, but I made it more secure just in case.

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2011, 08:43:01 AM »

I think engineers could work well if they could function as mobile item makers. It'd fit their support role well if they could put together some mines to hold off attackers without relinquishing the control point.
foxes8787
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »

I can still make the gunshot sound when pressing c while I'm dead.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

1.66b is here!

Changelog:
  • Buffed flashbangs, rockets, turrets
  • Made the Spy ID also change your name!
  • A new item, the napalm bottle
  • Bugfixing, lots of small stuff
  • Spruces!

Here's an utter failure of a .gif to show how the turrets work:

VERSION 1.66b GET!
EDIT: NOTE THAT THE TURRET BUGS! It shoots and hurts teammates as well. Sorry about that.

Next things on the list:
-research
-fourth class
-An in-game changelog!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 04:14:04 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

Reefpirate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »

Sweet. Keep it coming! I'm addicted to this game already...

One thought I was having was that it does seem like a team that spends a lot of money doesn't really get a huge advantage over, say, a team full of fighters and one mason who don't spend any money. Perhaps to get people more interested in digging you could make the advantages for digging for minerals a little more pronounced? I'm not sure of any ideas at the moment... Maybe research could be based more on the minerals, and research gets you some relatively OP weapons?

I like the bombs, don't get me wrong Smiley

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2011, 06:51:21 PM »

Buying vehicles is a waste of money, because once you buy it, the other team will use it just as much as your team. I think you should make vehicles team based, but not in a 'only red team can use red vehicles' way. Make it so you have to stand by an enemy vehicle holding the use button for a few seconds to 'pick the lock' and get in. the vehicle would keep it's colour, but wouldn't be locked again until the original team uses it. This makes the vehicle easier to get back if your team was the one to build it. A symbol showing that it's locked would be helpful, but make it only appear when you're close to the vehicle, to reduce clutter.

This will also counter another problem I've had, where the game host can sometimes run to the other base and steal their digger before they can join the server and load the map.

I think you should buff turrets, but make them get destroyed if you destroy the block their on. This way they are better at defending, but have a clear weakness. Wait, I forgot they could be built on solid (Steel? Concrete?) ground. (Was thinking of land mines) Another idea is that you could buff them, but give them a set-up time.
All this is assuming you haven't buffed them in the newest version, I haven't played it yet.

A neat idea would be to randomize the point's Y position. This already kind of happens with the ground being at different heights above/through it, but a midair point would be cool with the flying vehicles and builders. A few different point designs would be cool too. (Laying out the blocks in it in different patterns.)

EDIT: Making rockets slightly homing on enemies in vehicles would be neat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:57:55 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/sets/masjin-wip/

HO SHIT!

(Note: Most all of that needs to be mixed better.)

Reefpirate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »

HO SHIT!

Mixing aside (which sounds OK to me anyways... not my specialty) what is that?? New theme-song or something? I like it.

Reefpirate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »

Buying vehicles is a waste of money, because once you buy it, the other team will use it just as much as your team. I think you should make vehicles team based, but not in a 'only red team can use red vehicles' way. Make it so you have to stand by an enemy vehicle holding the use button for a few seconds to 'pick the lock' and get in. the vehicle would keep it's colour, but wouldn't be locked again until the original team uses it. This makes the vehicle easier to get back if your team was the one to build it. A symbol showing that it's locked would be helpful, but make it only appear when you're close to the vehicle, to reduce clutter.

This will also counter another problem I've had, where the game host can sometimes run to the other base and steal their digger before they can join the server and load the map.

I think you should buff turrets, but make them get destroyed if you destroy the block their on. This way they are better at defending, but have a clear weakness. Wait, I forgot they could be built on solid (Steel? Concrete?) ground. (Was thinking of land mines) Another idea is that you could buff them, but give them a set-up time.
All this is assuming you haven't buffed them in the newest version, I haven't played it yet.

A neat idea would be to randomize the point's Y position. This already kind of happens with the ground being at different heights above/through it, but a midair point would be cool with the flying vehicles and builders. A few different point designs would be cool too. (Laying out the blocks in it in different patterns.)

EDIT: Making rockets slightly homing on enemies in vehicles would be neat.

I agree about rockets being more of an anti-vehicle kind of weapon. Keep them only semi-useful against people, but extra damage + slight homing against vehicles would be cool.

I agree that the digger-stealing is very annoying... But I wouldn't want to see it removed as a strategy. It adds a cool dynamic to the early game, where you have to rush to your digger to make sure it isn't hijacked. Now, the host being able to get there before anyone else is a cheap tactic that should be minimized... But you could counter this with a 30-second match start timer or something. So the host, and no one else, can move for 30-seconds (or less, 30 is just an example).

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »

HO SHIT!

Mixing aside (which sounds OK to me anyways... not my specialty) what is that?? New theme-song or something? I like it.

The first is the Main title/menu music, the second is the current gameplay music. Both will be expanded and mixed better.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic