Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:18:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMasjin [Updates!]
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Masjin [Updates!]  (Read 95396 times)
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2011, 03:48:39 AM »

Oh, and please take an other server, this one sucks, really.  Angry

How come? I haven't seen any problems with it, and if anything, it should be better since there's no other traffic.
 Also, I didn't quite understand your bug reports. The one with invisible walls is an old one that might have become less rare with the latest update; I'll look to it. But what do you mean with the 'black frame', or 'losing your lasertower'?

Filth:
Pretty nice points, though why would you need a separate drop button? I think that might just clutter the controls even more. The point about the emoticons is interesting; I'll think about changing the "!"-mark. I added the other class marks mostly since I already had one for the ninja and had space left for more. (The questionmark is mostly there to show that the flashbang has hit, so I'd rather not remove it.)

Been working on the level editor.

PiJoKra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2011, 08:33:35 AM »

But what do you mean with the 'black frame', or 'losing your lasertower'?
Losing lasertower: (or do I have bad eyes, and is there a lasertower on the balcony?)

Black frame: yes, eum, sometimes, the screen of masjin gets black for a second...

And I can't wait 'till the room-editor :D

Also some questions about the editor; is the only mode going to be score?, because it is inpossible to do CP if the maker didn't make the CP..., or the creator didn't make dirt, so no ore-race,...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:41:18 AM by PiJoKra » Logged

« Last Edit: Today at 00:00:00 AM by me »
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2011, 09:59:10 AM »

Been working on the level editor.

Duuude!  Grin

EDIT:
Also some questions about the editor; is the only mode going to be score?, because it is inpossible to do CP if the maker didn't make the CP..., or the creator didn't make dirt, so no ore-race,...

I'm guessing the editor has certain restrictions that require you to accommodate all modes. There is a flag symbol in the screenie, after all.

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: September 18, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »

The editor will allow placing control points, spawn points, flag spawn points and areas where construction of walls is prohibited.

PiJokra: Smugness doesn't help much here; what I meant was that do you know some specific procedure that triggers that bug? I know the gravity bomb could mess it up badly, but that one's fixed.

Qqwy
Level 1

To who might ever read this: I love you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:50 PM »

Hello there, everybody. I hope you still remember me. Inside of Masjin I call myself Accident. It's been a long time since I visited, and I'm really happy to see the new updates. Smiley I'm pleased to see that you continued working on it, Hempuli.

I was thinking... I have no idea how many frequent Masjin players there are right now, but what would you guys think of a Masjin Competition? :D

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
nahkranoth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 19, 2011, 12:15:53 AM »

@Hempuli:

Great that your still working on the editor. I think it can quadrouple the enjoyment (if levels are well designed).

@Qqwy:

A competition would nice and there are some frequent players.
Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: September 19, 2011, 06:10:23 AM »

I've been thinking about Masjin all day, and a few new things came in mind:

List of new ideas/requests:

-Possible new item: Black Hole Generator. More or less the opposite of the Gravity Bomb. What it does is suck all players/objects/vehicles into one tiny spot in the middle for a few seconds. Can be used to prevent planes from entering your base, for instance.

-Possible new item: Digger Bomb. More or less the opposite of the dirt bomb. Destroys a few ground/builder blocks around itself when it explodes, along with giving minor damage to anybody who is near. Could be another countermeasure against people building walls everywhere with builders. Of course we already have the miner, but this is a little different(for instance, destroy stuff from above by dropping it from a plane).

-Possible new vehicle: Tank. I know, this has been requested a lot of times in the past, mostly been rejected because it can be blocked easily by building someting in front of it. But what if we would make it an vehicle with incredible shooting power(like the turret), armor(or make it so that the bullets of the tank deflect other bullets) and make it move slow, but have the option to drill blocks and use a jetpack(wich lasts long, but takes a long time to rise as well). This might overcome the limitations of the earlier tank-ideas and be a fun addition to the game.

-Possible new game option: League play. This would be an option available when hosting a new game. This means that whenever anybody joins, he is not automatically put in a team, but he can see who the people in both colors are, and he can always decide which color to pick. This would mainly be helpful when trying to play games with pre-chosen teams, for instance, a competition. :D.

-Possible new upgrade: 'Leeching'. I don't know if this is a good name, but anyway Tongue. What this does is add a few(20?) HP to you whenever you manage to kill somebody. Works for all your teammembers of course. Could come in handy in risky situations.

-Idea for more music. I really like the music Masjin has got, and I think sojin did a great job. However, what do you think about adding another song that starts playing when one team has nearly won? (i.e., only needs to capture the last two flags/ only needs to stay in the room for twenty or less seconds, only needs to kill two more persons, etc).

-Day/Night change: The day is like Masjin is right now, but maybe with a sun in the sky. When it gets night, everything gets somewhat darker(so its harder to see stuff). However, a small light-circle around people(only the ones in your team can see it?) and a bigger one around vehicles(locked vehicle lights are only visible for the team that locked it) makes it possible to still see stuff.

The follwing is quite ambitious. You don't have to read it, if you don't want to Tongue.

-Wheater. I also really like the idea of a snowy-landscape. What if randomly the wheater changes in Masjin:
      -Sunshine. Normal. Nothing happens, exept that water and snow that is exposed to the surface slowly disappears over time.
     -Rain.  raindrops falling everywhere. On tiles that are exposed to the surface there might form water. This water can partly or fully cover tiles. Water will flow down until there is a solid block below it(or another block filled with water). Water will distribute its filled-percentage equally to the blocks on the side of it, if there is nothing there. When people are too long inside water that fully covers their head, they will suffocate. However, water also makes it possible to swim upwards distances you would've normally not be able to jump. Swimming handling is like the jetpack, but a bit slower.
     -Snow. Snowflakes falling everywhere. On tiles that are exposed to the surface there might form snow. This snow is 'slippery' and players will slide further when they stop moving.

List of Bugs/weird things:
-Health packs still activate if you have full health, rendering them useless since when you have walked all the way to the enemies base, it will already be used up.

-Somehow, I managed to 'place' a mine inside an ore block, but it did not get its special placed sprite, it simply looked as if the mine was suspended in mid-air in the ore block. It did make its 'Boomgh' sound it makes when it gets placed. However, it did not explode while you walked over it. This happened a couple of times. I was able to pick up the mines again as well O_o.

-Sometimes when saying chat messages, my name isn't there anymore. It seems this has to do something with timeouts maybe? Happens both in the lobby as in-game. It seems only to happen after Masjin loses focus Shocked. Maybe this has to do something with my internet-connection or with the new server. I don't know.

Masjin Competition
I first want to hear Hempuli's opinion on this. At least it is great to hear that there are people still frequently visiting Masjin  Grin.

If Hempuli will try to add the League function, that will be perfect. Otherwise, we'll just have to find another way to organize things.

Other things I want to say:

I really like the way the Level Editor looks. I totally agree with nahkranoth. A question about that: Is it possible to make the level bigger than it normally is? Like, more space between the bases?

Besides of that, keep up the good work. I really like the new Eingeneers, and all the other cool added features. If I ever can help you with something, tell me  Smiley.

~Accident

Ř̺͈̮ͬͣ͑͂͊̐a̲͈̲̩̫͍̟̕i̪̪̩̼̩̊̽ͫn̴b̗̠͈̯̲͡ͅo̥̤͓̥̩̾͐ẅ̺́͢ ̴̙̑̍̅o̰̹͙̻̭̘̅͌͐̾ͅf̖̖͖͍̽̅̉͡ ͓̱͓͔̖̣̗ͭC̽҉̗̼̳̖͇̳h̺͕͠a̵̾ͤ͆́́o̼̙͖͎͍̳̅̿ͣs͓̒̌̀  FOCUS-Bytebeat
shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #367 on: September 19, 2011, 06:45:22 AM »

-Idea for more music. I really like the music Masjin has got, and I think sojin did a great job. However, what do you think about adding another song that starts playing when one team has nearly won? (i.e., only needs to capture the last two flags/ only needs to stay in the room for twenty or less seconds, only needs to kill two more persons, etc).

I'm glad you like the music - but here's where I attempt to crush your dreams.

Situational music tends to become very hectic to use. Yes, it could be alright for CTF and KotH - but really? For about thirty seconds? In deathmatch only a few deaths left would go by in an instant. Okay, so we up the values a little bit so it isn't completely jarring to suddenly have new music while playing.

The problem with that logic is that the host can set how much is needed to win a round. This would work great for higher values, however, if they want to have a very quick game, then we'll reach the predetermined switching point a lot sooner.

So make it a percentage of the amount needed to win and round up. We come back to having the music kick in for a few seconds in the end because the 'to win' score was too low, or having this supposedly quick tune play for a very long time because it was set extremely high.

Also, I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure he implemented infinity games. I'm not sure if that would break anything when the game tries to calculate when to play this track.

Also, making music is hard yo. If Hempuli wants me to, I'll do it - I'm just wondering if it's needed.

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: September 19, 2011, 07:50:38 AM »

I'm glad you like the music - but here's where I attempt to crush your dreams.

Situational music tends to become very hectic to use. Yes, it could be alright for CTF and KotH - but really? For about thirty seconds? In deathmatch only a few deaths left would go by in an instant. Okay, so we up the values a little bit so it isn't completely jarring to suddenly have new music while playing.

The problem with that logic is that the host can set how much is needed to win a round. This would work great for higher values, however, if they want to have a very quick game, then we'll reach the predetermined switching point a lot sooner.

So make it a percentage of the amount needed to win and round up. We come back to having the music kick in for a few seconds in the end because the 'to win' score was too low, or having this supposedly quick tune play for a very long time because it was set extremely high.

Also, I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure he implemented infinity games. I'm not sure if that would break anything when the game tries to calculate when to play this track.

Also, making music is hard yo. If Hempuli wants me to, I'll do it - I'm just wondering if it's needed.
Wink You are probably right. Thanks for your reply.

About the connection problem:

It seems to happen at multiple people. It makes the game unplayable. After being inside of the Lobby or a game for somewhere between a second and a minute, the game 'disconnects' without telling you about it. other players vanish, you are completely left alone being unable to pick up flags etc. Also, when trying to chat, you won't be able to see your name, so you only see a ':'. The only thing to do against it as a player is quitting out of the server screen and reconnecting, or by restarting Masjin.

I am guessing this has to do something with the server. I think players time out too soon or the server just drops connections or something like that. One or another, it is a mayor pain in the ass Concerned...

PiJoKra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: September 19, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »

PiJokra: Smugness doesn't help much here; what I meant was that do you know some specific procedure that triggers that bug? I know the gravity bomb could mess it up badly, but that one's fixed.

Nope, don't know what triggers it. That lasertower was just gone, I was walking to it, and suddenly it dissepeared

I've been thinking about Masjin all day, and a few new things came in mind:

List of new ideas/requests:

-Possible new item: Digger Bomb. More or less the opposite of the dirt bomb. Destroys a few ground/builder blocks around itself when it explodes, along with giving minor damage to anybody who is near. Could be another countermeasure against people building walls everywhere with builders. Of course we already have the miner, but this is a little different(for instance, destroy stuff from above by dropping it from a plane).

This already exists, it is called a "bomb"...

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: September 19, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »

I dont beleave a normal bomb actually removes blocks. I don't remember it ever doing that. A mine destroys the block it is placed on. But a normal bomb only explodes killing everybody Tongue.

PiJoKra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: September 19, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »

I dont beleave a normal bomb actually removes blocks. I don't remember it ever doing that. A mine destroys the block it is placed on. But a normal bomb only explodes killing everybody Tongue.
Then try it xD

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: September 19, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »

Then try it xD

I did. Multiple times Tongue. I'm smart enough not to answer someting before re-trying it to see if I'm wrong  Tongue. It might also be just my client, but my bombs don't explode ground blocks.

By the way, do you have the Connection problem as well, PiJoKra?

PiJoKra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: September 19, 2011, 10:46:37 AM »

Then try it xD

I did. Multiple times Tongue. I'm smart enough not to answer someting before re-trying it to see if I'm wrong  Tongue. It might also be just my client, but my bombs don't explode ground blocks.

By the way, do you have the Connection problem as well, PiJoKra?
I have some connectionproblems Tongue
Which one do you mean? xD

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: September 20, 2011, 03:01:25 AM »

I mean the one where, somewhere between about 5 seconds and 4 minutes Masjin 'disconnects' from the server without notice. After that has happened, in both the lobby chat as the in-game chat your name doesn't appear anymore before messages(you only see the ":"). Of course, other players don't see your messages anymore, and the other players will vanish from your screen very fast, leaving you all alone. It's still possible to mine stuff and to use everything(but the real game won't update, of course, since you've lost connection with the others), except things like flags. Also, when trying to place mines now, you will hear the 'mine place' sound, but the mine will just have its unplaced graphic inside the block you placed it on, and it won't be active. Strange enough, you are able to pick it up again with Z while standing on top of the block.

This problem has happened for me the whole day yesterday. I could play for thirty seconds, and then I'd have to reconnect/restart Masjin.

That's the problem I'm talking about. Smiley It doesn't seem to happen at everyone. I know Vauav(if I remembered his name correctly) experiences the same problems. Might be because we both live in Europe?

I think the cause of this is server-side.

Also, about the bomb discussion  Tongue. It seems you are right, but it doesnt happen every time O_o... I've tried setting off bombs multiple times. It seems to destroy some builder blocks, but it didn't destroy ground blocks earlier. Strange... might be a bug.

Have a nice day, Smiley

~Accident

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: September 20, 2011, 03:31:03 AM »

As far as I know, bombs destroy dirt but not ore. I've never had that disconnecting problem so can't help you there.
Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:19 AM »

While playing around with Masjin, I found two more bugs that happen at the beginning while you are still the only one in your game. You can use these bugs to influence the game before somebody else has joined. The first bug lets you create blocks with the builder to block off your base before the start of the game, and the second bug lets you smuggle items inside of the spawn room.

I made a

about these two bugs, since it's hard to explain in just words.

~Accident

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: September 20, 2011, 06:09:03 AM »

Yeah, I'd really love to hear more info about that bug, because it seems darn serious; I'm quite sure it's related to the new lacewing build, but I haven't seen it by myself this far! It sounds like something that is really annoying to fix, though. Sad Try to find out when this exactly happens and report that, since these kinds of bugs I'd really not want to tolerate! Smiley I actually got similar problems earlier and they were related to my router; the creators of the extension said however that they added a way to avoid it (and it has sure worked for me!)

Ugh, I've been away from home for a coupla days and these comments have really started piling!! Let's see what I can answer here:

-The medikit 'bug' is one that is partially intentional due to the way things are coded; the client doesn't keep track of other people's health, so coding it to be 'dynamic' would require some semi-massive extra work. What do you think, should engineers be able to create medikits?

-Weather is a very simple addition. I've been intending to make both the different environments and weather effects for a while, but then I'd have to draw all the new assets and that's kinda kept me from doing it. I'll try!

-Black hole bomb seems to be a really frequent request, so I guess I'll do it! Also I'm going to replace molotov cocktail because no-one ever uses that (successfully)!

-Would the 'leeching' be a buyable ability?

-Bomb should indeed tear normal dirt away. If it doesn't, something's bugging!

Qqwy: hahah, neither of those are related to playing alone, but yeah, gonna fix those; the item-smuggling bug is particularly hilarious. I'm sad to hear that you're having problems with the server, though; I'll report that to the creators.

Qqwy
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: September 20, 2011, 07:26:53 AM »

About the server gub: Any more detailed than what I've told so far I cannot get. I'm sorry, but that's all the symptomes known to me.
However, I can guess what's going on. It's only a guess, so I might fairly well be wrong, but I think that the server rejects connections based on a too low lag-amount. I.e., if my internet connection happens to react slower than half a second, the server simply stops sending me information, and I'm stuck in this memory of the past on my own Tongue.

Again, it is only a guess, it can be something completely different.

-I thought of adding 'leeching' as a buy-once upgrade, but maybe it is better to add it as an item similar to Speed+, so that it has to be bought every time again... I don't know. I would try the first option first, and the second option if the first one seems to be overpowered.

-Please don't replace the Molotov Cocktail. I use it Tongue, and it still is a very dangerous item to kill people. Especially in small rooms. It might be good to make the Eingeneer able to create these as well.

-Yes, I think the Eigeneer should be able to create Medikits. Maybe another, easier to add way to more properly use it than right now is that you 'activate' the medikit by pressing Z again, after you've picked it up. It will stay activated until you drop it by pressing Z again.

Hmm... that's about it. Oh, and if you want, I would love to help and draw a nice pixely nightsky etc. for you.

~Accident

PiJoKra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: September 20, 2011, 08:25:07 AM »

[...]
Jep, have that problem to :/

And yeah, molotov is very unhandy, so that can be putted away xD

Off-topic:
Vauav(if I remembered his name correctly)

Vauat xP

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic