Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:27:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Inflicted - Horror Adventure Game
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: The Inflicted - Horror Adventure Game  (Read 31569 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »

That's a good point, and it is much more readable, just like in stackless python. Is it a common situation in your scripts? What if you pause the game, will the player.say still get fired 1.5 seconds later? What if you kill the player before player.say gets fired the second time?

I ask because my project uses Lua, and I have thought a little about using co-routines, but I think it may be conceptually cleaner to do it the second way, and I can also guarantee the order of execution. Sure the script is more complex, but you can encapsulate some of this stuff if it is common enough, and it means you have more freedom in general.

Code:
wait_clock = nil
talking = true
i = 1
chat = {{"hello", 1.5}, {"how are you 1.5 seconds later", 0}}
function update(dt)
  if talking then
    wait_clock += dt
    if (wait_clock > chat[i][2]) then
      i = i+1       
      if (i > #chat) then
        talking = false
      else
        say(chat[i][1])
        wait_clock = chat[i][2]
      end
    end
  end   
end

That said, the scripts in my game are written just by me, so I don't mind it being a little more technical. If you are exposing the scripting to the end-user then you'd probably want something much simpler -- like the coroutine method, or maybe even better, a little scene language:
Code:
0:00 Hi
0:05 How are you
0:10 What are you doing here
0:11 [Look_Left]

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:11 PM »

What if you pause the game, will the player.say still get fired 1.5 seconds later? What if you kill the player before player.say gets fired the second time?

In my case the script calls will call the player entity even if it has died. Since all of the entities are stored in an array and on death they're removed from it (they wont render or update anymore), whatever the script does doesn't affect anything and it won't produce an error since the script's pointer to the player is still valid and not null.
Once the script exits and gets removed, everything gets garbage collected.

The only problem with having a coroutine handle scenes is that if there's a lot of people in one scene the script gets bloated very quickly.
I haven't looked into having my own scene scripts yet but that snippet you wrote seems a lot more manageable.

Since LUA can access all flash's imported classes automatically without having to go through hoops to expose them to lua I could use TweenLite's timeline class to have even more control over what happens.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 04:29:38 PM »

Two more screenshots from debugging. Now text is tiny and probably won't get cluttered as much. Also I changed how paths are rendered in debug.

On the left is a complete path. On the right is the path optimization doing it's thing.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 04:41:39 AM »

Forgot to share this when I drew it.

Bastards are these mutated rat creatures. They only attack you from behind and they are scared of light.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »

MMmmmm goody goody.

First version of the guy

Didn't quite look like what I wanted so I modified chubbified it:

If you're wondering why make 3D models. Here's the reason. Same base model different clothes.

Here's Victor, our genetically modified friendly übersmart gorilla who turns into.. well... not so friendly. I havent tested the graphic in game yet so it might turn out a bit smaller.

Next step: 3D Monster. The one chasing the player in my signature.

Ps. I know the smaller player animation clips on the right arm when he falls down. I'll fix that later.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 01:58:33 PM by zamp » Logged
increpare
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »

Forgot to share this when I drew it.
scary!
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:35 AM »

What goes into modeling?

Not as much as one would imagine.

First we start out with the mesh

Then we skin it. To make the UVs unwrap properly we need to mark some edges that will be "cut".

Starting the unwrap process.

Unwrapping nearly completed

Naming of the UVs

Next step is rigging. In this picture I've setup the Main and IK movers. Main mover moves everything and IK mover uses inverse kinematics to animate the skeleton.

Rigging almost completed

Testing that I've set up IK targets properly

In these two images you can see the hands and feet stay put even when the IK mover is moved. This makes animating a breeze since you control the goals (where hands and feet are) directly.

Next step is animating the 4 required animations. Idle, Walk, Run and Attack

And there we go. Here's the result

Time taken from start to finish: roughly 5 hours.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2012, 06:33:26 PM »

Here's a little something. Nearing demo release. Menus are almost done, only needs backgrounds, better load menu and a save menu.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »

Looks awesome but I can't say I'm happy with the new art direction... maybe I just have to get used to it.

Glad the games coming together!  Grin

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:19 AM »

Looks awesome but I can't say I'm happy with the new art direction... maybe I just have to get used to it.

Glad the games coming together!  Grin

It's a decided compromise. Back when I drew the first monster spritesheet I later found out I wanted to make it bigger. Problem is that pixel art doesn't scale. With 3D models I can scale the graphics up or down and just rerender the spritesheets.
If I need to add more weapons or items to the graphics I can just attach them to the hand bone and that's it.
Btw. This is the way they made Fallout 1 & 2 sprites Wink

Edit: I fine tuned the rendering a bit which made the player graphic look a lot more natural to it's environment.

Still I have to admit that the monster looks weird. I'll have to scale the arms and redo the animations to make it spooky.. not silly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 06:48:10 AM by zamp » Logged
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 13, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »

Screenshot of that stuff.
It grows, it moves, it's covered in acid so it burns. Better get that axe ready and go whoopass on it.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »

Hand Shake LeftNo No NOHand Shake Right
Me fighting blood red vines.

I'll miss the old 2D character, but this new style looks really cool  Wizard
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »

I took a long break from developing this game since I just cba to do it. I had no inspiration and every time I opened a source file or the map editor I just ended up shouting "fuck it!" and quitting before putting any work down.

Now that I'm working on the game again I spent quite a while trying to get the 3D rendered sprites to not clash with the graphics style of the game. Guess what happened? They still clash... So at this point I submit to defeat and will go back to using hand drawn 2D graphics even if it means more work.

At this moment the game is roughly at what I call a demo level of completion. You can play the game to get the overall feeling of it. There are couple placeholder graphics that need to be replaced before I can feel comfortable about releasing a demo.

Today I when I fired the game up for the first time in months I wasn't happy about how the game ran. Less than acceptable framerates and it kinda lags every now and then. After couple hours of optimization I got fps up to 30 which has been my goal from the beginning.
I had to remove the flashlight beam effect that makes it thinner the further you aim it. It was just way too expensive to run per frame, took a whopping 5 ms to run maybe 20 lines of code.

Also I haven't really felt that the name belongs to this game. Sure the storyline works around you being at the epicenter of what is to come but another name might be more suitable.
Here's a list I came up with and would love it if you picked your favorite and replied telling me to pick that one, maybe toss in a reason too Wink
(Note: I haven't googled these so they might be used already)

Virus
Trapped
Host or The Host
Infected
Infection
Escape
It
Thing

Let me know if you think of a better name.

! SPOILER ALERT !
The rest of the post uncovers a major part of the plot. I tell you this so you can better figure out a name or come up with other ideas. (Select text to view it)

The goo you might have seen in screenshots is a part of a collective consciousness. The goo is like a fungus, it searches for nutrients and once it finds them it then builds up a network to them so it gains better access to them.
This is a genetically altered fungus that was infused with a virus' RNA that gave it very peculiar properties. It doesn't only grow like plants it can also move.
What the scientist didn't understand was that when they enabled the fungus to produce muscular tissue it also produced a nervous system.
The fungus also incorporated properties that enabled it to infect animals and humans.
Once it had infected the first person it gained access to higher brain functions and became self aware.
It's only will is to escape the trap it's in, you just happened to have an accident and were unconscious when they evacuated the facility.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2012, 07:31:52 PM »

I don't think I like any of those names, they are all quite generic and/or are associated with major movies/stories (fyi: The Host is the best. movie. ever.) Mind dump:

The Plague That Ate My Face
Who knew plants could talk (and kill)
The Night Of The Man-Plants
Brainpulp
The Evil Fungoid
Botanikiller 17
Myxomycetic
Plot-wise, sounds a bit like Day Of The Triffids combined with The Thing.

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »

I don't think I like any of those names, they are all quite generic and/or are associated with major movies/stories (fyi: The Host is the best. movie. ever.) Mind dump:
*snip*

"The plague that ate my face" Cheesy
I doubt any of what you suggested fit the overall über serious feel of the game. Keep them coming though. I've run out of ideas.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:19:59 AM by zamp » Logged
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »

I wasn't happy with how the game ran. FPS less than 30 and it felt choppy every once in a while. That meant I needed more optimization!
After discussing about it with a friend he suggested I might be interested in adding a quad tree into the entity management so I could get faster collision, rendering, updates etc.
I won't bore you with the programming itself since you can read about it via google.
Here's the prototype I wrote and then implemented into the game.

Here's two screenshots. Before and after shots:

You can clearly see the speed gain in the second screenshot.
Entity updates don't update unnecessary objects (20 doors vs. 7 doors for instance)
Also events only update if they're nearby. Scripts that events run still spawn a "thread" that runs on the background just as they used to.
You might notice that raycollision only takes about half the time than it used to.
I had to drop the secondary soft shadows out from the update and render loops but might add them back in once flash concurrency is available. At that point I'll probably offload some other tasks onto a worker thread. (Fully dynamic bump mapped lights, anyone?)
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2012, 08:19:07 PM »

Here's a little something Wink

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »

You've got the atmosphere down for sure. Game reminds me of Alien Breed. Smiley

More titles:
Night of the Fungoids
Alien Pie
Dead Space 3
The Hull
Virus Shooty BangBang

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:39 AM »

I've been struggling with writing for a couple months and never really got the storyline down in a way I liked but yesterday was a special day! I wrote the whole storyline from beginning to end in about 20 minutes. I had made some progress before but I ended up writing a piece into the game that lead to a situation that I couldn't find a way out of so I ended up scrapping that part altogether and wrote a new improved version of the story. It still pretty much has the same key scenes that I had been idealizing all the way back when I first started this project (wow, over 3 years now).
There are some gaps in the story still where I just wrote "David goes there" and note about some funky stuff that might happen in between. Funky might not be the best word to describe these situations... completely fucked up sounds a lot better.
I'm still finding it hard to design levels in a way that they feel real. Maybe I should visit a real laboratory (preferably under ground one) to see how they operate. The ideas and themes I revolve around are purely from fiction. Although I've looked up a bunch of images from google to get the overall look of a place.
The major theme of the game is now set in stone. Silent Hill 1 mixed with lovely gene modified lab animals.

Here's a screenshot of the horror world that the player "enters" from time to time. (Click image to open it)
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2012, 07:21:06 AM »

Tiny update. I've added item glow to items so they're easier to spot if they're in a dark room. You might also notice the glow that the player has. This was added to make the game a bit less disorientating.

The effect isn't actually this bright. I had to brighten the image to counter the contrast given by the white background of the forum

Also fixed a lightmap cache glitch which lead to NPCs running a quite expensive function every frame.

Also check out the new NPC graphic for Bastards!
Instead of going for the rat like creature I went with this squid thing. I still need to make the tentacles move in a more tentaclier fashion. They will also leave a dark smudge trail behind them.
Even though these creatures look like they might be slow they're incredibly agile. They don't have any eyes but the spongy tissue on their uhh.. cranium is so thin that they're very light sensitive and prefer to stay in the dark. They also have a keen sense of telling if you're looking at them and they tend to only attack you from behind. Their attack is pathetic but it feels so icky that you lose your sanity very fast.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic