Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:48:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Inflicted - Horror Adventure Game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: The Inflicted - Horror Adventure Game  (Read 31695 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2012, 08:54:30 AM »

The effect isn't actually this bright. I had to brighten the image to counter the contrast given by the white background of the forum
Concerned
I see a black box with lighter smudges.
Perhaps you're working on too high-contrast monitor?

zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2012, 06:56:26 AM »

Concerned
I see a black box with lighter smudges.
Perhaps you're working on too high-contrast monitor?

There I pumped the brightness up a notch. It's still as dark as it is in game but that's by design. You're not supposed to be able to see in the dark. You can also view the screenshots on imgur.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2012, 09:07:09 AM »

A demo! A demo! A demo!
I've pre-released this demo version only for you peeps at tigsource. Have fun and please give feedback.
Cheers Beer!
(Game's name will now stick. I might change the title (a battle for sanity) but I doubt I'll think of a better one.)

GET DEMO
You might also need this
Get AIR
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:10:38 AM by zamp » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2012, 10:00:16 AM »

Woo! Demo!
I like it a lot! Especially the lighting and sound Tongue

The only problem I had was with the emergency notes, I had no clue how to exit it xD (Backspaced eventually)
And the layer above the player with the lights and pipes, it feels like there should be a parallax giving some more depth..
Also, after going down stairs and finishing everything down there, I went back upstairs and all the old events repeated. (Like the gasp when you see a corpse)

Anyways, great demo, very cool!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 10:36:27 AM by kitheif » Logged
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 26, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »

Woo! Demo!
I like it a lot! Especially the lighting and sound Tongue

The only problem I had was with the emergency notes, I had no clue how to exit it xD (Backspaced eventually)
And the layer above the player with the lights and pipes, it feels like there should be a parallax giving some more depth..
Also, after going down stairs and finishing everything down there, I went back upstairs and all the old events repeated. (Like the gasp when you see a corpse)

Anyways, great demo, very cool!

Thanks for the feedback.
Any key ftw Wink
I'll try adding parallax mapping to the top layer.  Also I'll make sure the events don't fire again if you go back upstairs.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »

I guess I didn't think of that because of the beautiful 3d journal effect!
Keep at it, I'm looking forward to future builds :D
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

Very scary atmosphere, I jumped at a few parts. The game looks to already be succeeding in the creepiness department. Here's some criticism now...hope it's not too much.

I felt like there was insufficient direction regarding progress, I mean it seems like the game requires you to check every single room in order to acquire the items needed to progress, which is alittle too methodical for my taste. I remember skipping a room or two at the beginning of the game, and after getting stuck later in the game, I had to basically backtrack to the beginning to make sure i didn't miss some critical item there. I actually ended up doing alot of back tracking since I wasn't 100% on some of the game mechanics, like double clicking items in you inventory and pressing red and green buttons, and the result was alot of tedious wandering to already-checked areas.

The buttons on the coroner's computer didn't seem to work for me on my first playthrough, so I had to exit the game when I got on it. Then when i replayed the game, the same thing happened when I got the generator running and used the computer by the radio; no button, including backspace and escape, could get me out of the computer screen, so I had to quit again. This might just be my system or something, who knows.

The direction the player character faces is alittle awkward at times. When the mouse is above the character, and you're pressing right or left, for instance, it's weird to see his body facing a diagonal direction while he's moving perfectly straight...this isn't a big deal of course, but since alot of horror game's effectiveness can stem from realism (IMO), videogamieness (like having a guy walk in a direction he's not pointed in) can sometimes take me out of the game alittle and break the immersion and visceral creepiness that you've crafted...but Lone Survivor was very videogamey and that was awesome, so feel free to ignore this.

Also, if there's anyway to let people play the demo without Adobe Air, you'd probably get a few more plays and more feedback, it's just one more thing people have to download and have lingering on their systems.

That's all, you're definitely on the right track, and the game shows great potential--I hope I didn't throw too much negativity at you. Good luck with development.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »

Very scary atmosphere, I jumped at a few parts. The game looks to already be succeeding in the creepiness department. Here's some criticism now...hope it's not too much.

All criticism is good Wink

I felt like there was insufficient direction regarding progress, I mean it seems like the game requires you to check every single room in order to acquire the items needed to progress, which is alittle too methodical for my taste. I remember skipping a room or two at the beginning of the game, and after getting stuck later in the game, I had to basically backtrack to the beginning to make sure i didn't miss some critical item there. I actually ended up doing alot of back tracking since I wasn't 100% on some of the game mechanics, like double clicking items in you inventory and pressing red and green buttons, and the result was alot of tedious wandering to already-checked areas.

I'll do some redesigning of levels to streamline gameplay. About the game mechanics themselves.. I trust that you are smart enough to figure stuff out yourself. All of the storyline critical items will be easy to find

The buttons on the coroner's computer didn't seem to work for me on my first playthrough, so I had to exit the game when I got on it. Then when i replayed the game, the same thing happened when I got the generator running and used the computer by the radio; no button, including backspace and escape, could get me out of the computer screen, so I had to quit again. This might just be my system or something, who knows.

That's a bug that I introduced somehow into the game. I thought I took care of it but apparently not. I'll look into this.

The direction the player character faces is alittle awkward at times. When the mouse is above the character, and you're pressing right or left, for instance, it's weird to see his body facing a diagonal direction while he's moving perfectly straight...this isn't a big deal of course, but since alot of horror game's effectiveness can stem from realism (IMO), videogamieness (like having a guy walk in a direction he's not pointed in) can sometimes take me out of the game alittle and break the immersion and visceral creepiness that you've crafted...but Lone Survivor was very videogamey and that was awesome, so feel free to ignore this.

You can change your controls in the options (only accessible in main menu for now). Click the relative/direct movement button to change between them. Someone once suggested that I'll make an option in game where you get to try both and then choose which you want. Maybe I'll add that.

Also, if there's anyway to let people play the demo without Adobe Air, you'd probably get a few more plays and more feedback, it's just one more thing people have to download and have lingering on their systems.

I don't think I can go back to just flash anymore since I'm using a lot of air functions. People are going to need to have AIR linger on their computers Shrug
Also when I use AIR I can easily make a mobile port of the game.

That's all, you're definitely on the right track, and the game shows great potential--I hope I didn't throw too much negativity at you. Good luck with development.

Thanks for the feedback

I guess I didn't think of that because of the beautiful 3d journal effect!
Keep at it, I'm looking forward to future builds :D

Smiley

On another note. If you want to become a game tester send me an email at [email protected]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:50:54 AM by zamp » Logged
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2012, 04:36:42 AM »

Here's a second rc of the demo.
Edit: bollocks.. forgot some map events in the old place. Now you can't proceed further Grin

• Changed the maintenance level's elevator location to where the lights go out.
  • Added a return cursor to the notes
  • Possibly fixed the issue with not being able to click dialog options
  • Fixed mousetrigger retrigger bug after map change
  • Added parallax to on top layer
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:51:39 AM by zamp » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2012, 08:00:45 AM »

Here's a second rc of the demo.
Edit: bollocks.. forgot some map events in the old place. Now you can't proceed further Grin

Changed the maintenance level's elevator location to where the lights go out.
    Added a return cursor to the notes
    Possibly fixed the issue with not being able to click dialog options
    Fixed mousetrigger retrigger bug after map change
    Added parallax to on top layer

WTF Oh shit, you work fast
(About game testing, care if I just throw you a pm? ;P)
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2012, 09:59:42 AM »

WTF Oh shit, you work fast
(About game testing, care if I just throw you a pm? ;P)

A pm will suffice. Cool

Took a bit longer than I thought (just a couple fixes.. 13 frigging hours WTF) but here is the real RC2.
Get it now!
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2012, 08:19:12 AM »

I've updated the RC2.
1. Redownload. 2. Reinstall 3. Hand Any KeyWTFHand Joystick
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

After seeing a bunch of people get stuck in the first part of the game I've made the first two maps smaller and I added two new tiles to the tileset which allow me to do this:

The grayed out tile under the door means the door wont open. The colored one does.
This visual hint stays the same throughout the game.

Edit: I've also added sliders to the volume options and option to enable colorblind mode (Pumps up contrast and brightness)

Edit 2: I removed the awfully expensive displacement map and replaced it with some funkier (and cheaper) effects

Now when you die you automatically continue from a previous save (10 second delay before that happens)
The main menu also has a continue button.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 05:41:59 PM by zamp » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2012, 06:40:47 PM »

The new door gray out is SUPER helpful!
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:24 AM »

I've released RC3 of the demo.
You can get it here

I also nailed the frigging annoying crash bug. All it took was 1.4 gigabytes of log that I split into 500 line long files, of which it produced roughly 95 thousand files. I found the last function call in the 86581th file or so.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2012, 04:59:30 AM »

It's been a decent while since I updated this thread...  Embarrassed

All I have for you are two tiny screenshots.

The first is a new radial menu for world interaction.

The second is an example of the effect of radio chatter in game. (The gif is a bit slow, it's much faster really)

There's been major progress with the storyline and I can assure you it will be epic. Too bad now I have to actually do all of the things we're writing about Grin

I'll keep you posted with similar posts in the future but as most of what we do now is about story there's not much I can discuss without giving you spoilers.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 18, 2012, 01:22:55 PM »

Quickly whipped up Steve's dialog graphic for screenshot saturday.
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:32 PM »

Kazam!.. or.. Zazam!.. Wizard or something..

Haven't updated the devlog in a bit now but in case you're wondering we're still kicking.
I've made some upgrades to the website (added blogger.com blog on the news page).
The game's progress is good and a bit slow... which will hopefully be remedied soon after we launch our kickstarter project.
If the kickstarter goes according to plan I'm going to start working on the game full time instead of couple hours here and there.
Also we'll get voice actors and rent a studio to do the recording in... after the dialogues have been written down.

We're still in the process of filling in the blanks when it comes to the storyline but the plot is already fairly well put down and no dramatic changes will come to be.

Also later this month (maybe, our PR dude/writer is busy) when we launch the kickstarter we'll also give you a teaser trailer to show features and overall gameplay.

For now I present to you A COMPUTER!

Behold the magnificence of antiquated personal computing!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:01:00 PM by zamp » Logged
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2012, 01:20:03 AM »

Hello peeps!

You can now follow us on Twitter and Blogger!
zamp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »

We're looking for a few good men to do some play testing.

If you're interested send an email to [email protected]

(Edit: Magic 100th post. I'll whip up something special for this later, now I need to doze off)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:09:04 PM by zamp » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic