Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:21:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessFlash Game License
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Flash Game License  (Read 11924 times)
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:55:50 AM »

Success stories? I can think of SteamBirds.
What else?

destiny is truth pre-op
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:27:09 AM »

What counts as a success?

The Unicyclist was sponsored there and resulted in a competitive auction between six bidders, three of whom stayed in significantly above what I expected to make.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:38:18 AM »

There is already a thread with this exact same title
Also: anonymous successes
http://www.flashgamelicense.com/report_monthly_site_sales.php

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »

There is already a thread with this exact same title
Also: anonymous successes
http://www.flashgamelicense.com/report_monthly_site_sales.php

Ah, thanks. The regular search only showed one post from a different thread Smiley

destiny is truth pre-op
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:08:45 AM »

Depict1?
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »

I feel that that the average money earned on FGL is quite low because most of the games on the site are uninspired and just not fun.

My small Flash game, Wasabi, was sold on FGL for about $4.2k for a primary license. The game took me about 2-3 weeks to develop. I'm sure if you make a fun game with enough content, you can very likely make the same if not more.

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 03:37:19 AM »

Depict1?

I made depict1 at a game jam.  This dude ported it to flash.  $12,000.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:57:53 AM by xerus » Logged
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:45:41 AM »

Depict1?

Well shit. I think I should learn Flash.

destiny is truth pre-op
Nix
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:52:21 AM »

If don't want to make anything big or long or computationally intensive, Flash is a great platform for easy cash (assuming you don't suck at making games).
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:04:17 AM »

If don't want to make anything big or long or computationally intensive, Flash is a great platform for easy cash (assuming you don't suck at making games).

I don't suck at making games albiet everytime I've tried Flash it's been terrible. I'll give Flixel a try next time.

destiny is truth pre-op
Nix
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 07:10:04 AM »

I don't suck at making games albiet everytime I've tried Flash it's been terrible. I'll give Flixel a try next time.

Or just use the standard AS3 multimedia library. It's more than powerful enough to do graphics stuff. I've used both Flixel and raw AS3 (no Flixel) for developing Flash games and I just found Flixel annoying. Flixel is good if you don't know much about game programming, but I didn't like being tied in to a specific style of scene/state management.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 07:54:38 AM »

Or just use the standard AS3 multimedia library. It's more than powerful enough to do graphics stuff. I've used both Flixel and raw AS3 (no Flixel) for developing Flash games and I just found Flixel annoying. Flixel is good if you don't know much about game programming, but I didn't like being tied in to a specific style of scene/state management.

Hm, thanks for the pointer. Do you have a tutorial/book recommendations on building a game engine (my own classes, subclasses, gameloop etc)?

Forum search: http://www.attiliocarotenuto.com/flash/121-flash-shmup-tutorial Looks decent.

Back on topic.. any other success stories, or games you've developed? Anyone where a part or full-time flash game developer?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:05:00 AM by X3N » Logged

destiny is truth pre-op
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »

Try checking Median Accepted Bid Value for RPG and look at July 2008.
Can someone tell me what game this possibly could have been ?
Nix
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »

I was actually going to write a series of tutorials about making an as3 engine over the core API. If I can remember the name of the site that offered to pay me, I might do it. If not, I might do it anyway. It's really not so difficult once you understand how it should be done.
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 10:26:59 AM »

Depict1?

I think that is the uncommon case.

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »

I feel that that the average money earned on FGL is quite low because most of the games on the site are uninspired and just not fun.

My small Flash game, Wasabi, was sold on FGL for about $4.2k for a primary license. The game took me about 2-3 weeks to develop. I'm sure if you make a fun game with enough content, you can very likely make the same if not more.

Is this the common experience for you? Or did most of your games have lower ROI?

I'm not disputing that most flash games are pretty bad (and that's probably why they don't make much), but I don't think someone reading your comment and seeing $4.2k for 2-3 weeks should take that as a given.

You made a good game in a short amount of time & that's not a feat that's easy to repeat month after month.

Nix
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »

Depict1?

Because the common case is shitty games, not bad opportunities.
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:31 AM »

Depict1?

So you are saying you can make that kind of money on a regular basis?

I'm not saying the common flash game isn't pretty bad, but I personally know people who made pretty decent games that have not fared well. 

It's not a sure thing, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, just like the mobile & downloadable markets.

Nix
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 11:27:25 AM »

Depict1?

So you are saying you can make that kind of money on a regular basis?

I'm not saying the common flash game isn't pretty bad, but I personally know people who made pretty decent games that have not fared well. 

It's not a sure thing, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, just like the mobile & downloadable markets.

It is a sure thing if you understand the market. And yes, I know quite a few people (some personally, others not) who are able to make a steady income by selling games >$4000 on a regular basis (i.e. monthly). It's certainly not as free-form as other platforms. A game that you could make sell well on PC won't necessarily sell well on the Flash market, but if you play your cards right it can be pretty reliable.

I don't do anything with the Flash market anymore because all of the games that I actually want to make aren't suited for Flash at all, so I have to settle for either downloadable PC titles (which I'm doing right now with Solar Reboot) or selling my creative soul and catering to the whims of Kongregrate players, which I don't really care to do.

Bigger and better games will certainly sell on the Flash market for decent money, but the ROI goes down as the time investment goes up. I think Andy Moore talked about this, but you really shouldn't spend more than a month at most on any one game if you want the ROI to be worth it with Flash games.
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 11:40:13 AM »

So if I can make a decent action game, I can expect to earn ~ $1200?
Nix can you link to some of your friends games/portal accounts?

destiny is truth pre-op
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic