Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:16:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFetch Quest - (awesome) engine demo *UPDATE*
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fetch Quest - (awesome) engine demo *UPDATE*  (Read 4827 times)
.TakaM
« on: April 27, 2011, 05:00:53 AM »

Gentleman

This is a game James Goode "Cocopuffs" and I have been working on for awhile, you may notice some similar graphics to our last game. This is basically our last game reborn, and much better.
I won't tell you too much about what we plan to do with this game yet, but to receive the latest news and downloads you can follow the games progress on the official:

Downloads:

Category: Action Adventure
File Size: ~7 Mbs
GM Version: GM8
Vista Compatible: Yes
Changes Screen Resolution: Nah

NOTE:
This isn't so much a 'get people excited for the game' demo, as it is just us fishing for bugs and criticism. None of the rooms you see will be in the final game, and many of the graphics will change. We just wanted to make sure our engine is bug free and fun to play before we start working on the actual game.

So please! Let us know what you think.

There are a total of 5 health upgrades and 100 gems in this engine demo. Other than that there's not much to do, once again this isn't the main game just the engine. We're trying to tune it up before starting the main game.

Controls:
Arrows – Move
Z – Jump
X – Sword
C – Ball
Enter – Pause [use this for graphic options]

[all can be done midair]
Up + X – Uppercut
Double tap Left/Right - Dodge
X [while dodging] – Sword Dash
Down + X[midair only] – Ground Stab

F1 - Info/controls
F2- Restart
F3 - Record Video (series of screenshots)

I almost forgot! We'd like to take this opportunity to appeal to any and all talented composers, we're looking for someone to join our humble team who can continue an atmosphere similar to the one in this demo.
If you're interested, email me at:

Include any examples/etc you please
[edit]We've found our composer Smiley[/edit]

Beer!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 05:25:08 AM by .TakaM » Logged
Sausage
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:50 AM »

Fun. Feels super-smooth.
Traikan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 02:43:32 PM »

To echo the above comment, wow is this thing smooth.

I don't really like the wall jumping though, I feel like there isn't enough vertical gain with each leap and it's at odds with the otherwise awesome and enjoyable mobility the rest of the controls offer.

Everything else is great.

.TakaM
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »

Thanks guys.
Wall jumping has been an issue for most people, do you think if we slowed the wall sliding down and made the jumps a bit more generous it would be okay?
MaloEspada
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 06:21:48 PM »

oh my god, i remember when this game was called Twinsen!
it's nice to see you are back with a game!! i'll try it tomorrow and post here any feedback!
Traikan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 07:06:33 PM »

Thanks guys.
Wall jumping has been an issue for most people, do you think if we slowed the wall sliding down and made the jumps a bit more generous it would be okay?

Yeah, that would nip my issues right in the bud. I can't wait to check out the updated version!

Sam English
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed it. As Sausage said, it's way smooth and the controls feel nice.

Emailed you as well!
Mogget
Level 1

Manbabysitter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:32:27 AM »

Hey, you cheater, you copy-pasted this to/from SA  Mock Anger But disregarding that, this is a great engine you've got here. Two things I would change are the air dash attack and his run animation. The air dash is hard to not execute when trying to just do the normal slashes. I'm having a hard time thinking of better ways to do it, however. Maybe change it so you need to tap forward and attack at the same time?

The problem with the run animation, to me at least, is that it looks a bit too... relaxed, like he was just going for a morning jog. As this is an action game I'd change it to something more focused looking.

Those are both really minor things though. Good job, keep it up!   Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley

Hurray for shameless promotion!
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 06:01:55 AM »

Downloaded. I'm so glad the 2 of you kept working on this game. Now to Hand Any Key Hand Joystick

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »

nice!!  Smiley
discovered it on idealsoft blog earlier today...
theres also a 3 min

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
.TakaM
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »

Hey, you cheater, you copy-pasted this to/from SA  Mock Anger But disregarding that, this is a great engine you've got here. Two things I would change are the air dash attack and his run animation.
Haha what can I say, I knew we would get the best feedback at SA and TIGF.

The air dash is initiated differently in air than on ground and we thought that might be an issue, we're already trying some ideas out to resolve it. For the running anim, I definitely see your point, and not that I mean to disregard it- but you're the first one to say that. I think we'll just keep an eye out for other people agreeing at the moment.

nice!!  Smiley
discovered it on idealsoft blog earlier today...
theres also a 3 min

Oh awesome, thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Thanks again for all the kind words guys, we've been getting a lot of really useful feedback and it's already helping us shape how the game will progress.

Sam, sorry I haven't emailed you back yet, you will definitely be hearing from us soon. We're just waiting on some samples from a few other people. Wink
MaloEspada
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »

nice combination of gameplay + sound effects. everything felt sooo nice and polished. also super smooth!

i think the issue with the walljumping is how its reminiscent of metroid's? like, you have to hold a specific direction instead of just pressing jump while hugging a wall...

maybe it's just personal preferance, though.

still, super nice! keep going!!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2011, 04:20:40 PM »

I'll try in when I get back to home, gifs look nice.

.TakaM
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 04:56:44 AM »

Thanks again for all the feedback tiggers, just wanted to let you guys know that our 1.1 engine demo is out.
The biggest change is the inclusion of a new ability- the dodge:

For a more detailed writeup, please visit our blog.
Again, all feedback is very much appreciated, we hope you guys enjoy. Beer!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:35:11 PM by .TakaM » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic