Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:00:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCinders - a serious western fairytale VN [Greenlight!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Cinders - a serious western fairytale VN [Greenlight!]  (Read 19689 times)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:42:47 AM »

This is what my recently formalized team is up to these days. An atmospheric VN with a feminist angle, based on the classic fairytale of Cinderella. If you ever wished that Cinderella would take fate into her hands, find a way to retake her residence from the evil stepmother (possibly by poisoning her), and ditch the prince in favor of the handsome captain of the guard, it's a game for you Wink.

We want Cinders to be a really pretty and moody game. We aren't using manga, as is usually done in this genre, but more of the golden age of illustration style. We're aiming for some high quality graphics with animated backgrounds, characters and special effects. We may release a small demo soon to see what people think. The final game is going to be commercial.

The project is under steady development and should be available soon for Mac and PC. We are putting lots of hope into this - it's pretty much the "be or not to be" of our indie studio.

Screenshots:

Developed by: MoaCube
Art by: Gracjana "Vinegar" Zielinska
Music by:  Rob Westwood

Links:
Website with more info
Our facebook

« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:09:48 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »

Excellent concept : check.
Gorgeous art : check.
Beutiful music : check.

There's not much more I can expect from an indie game. Let's hope it helps the studio take off !

PS : The music reminds me a bit of The Witcher's soundtrack.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

Ha ha, I actually worked on The Witcher Cool. There's no connection between the musicians though.

Tom Grochowiak
Bod
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »

Ah, thank you!
I haven't heard any of The Witcher's music Embarrassed (shame on me) but I've heard it's good!

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »

Yeah, the music was one of the stronger parts of that game. You can do a search on youtube - it's easy to find.

And two more screenies, showing the same location at day and night.

It's all animated with distorted reflections in the water, sunrays, glitter on the surface of the lake, moving flowers, fireflies, will o'wisps at night and whatnot.

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:55:29 AM »

the style between the title screen and the in-game screens seems different -- the title screen uses very few colors and is more abstract and stylized. not sure if it's mandatory to keep style consistent, but it was something that i noticed

anyway, looking forward to playing the finished version -- just try to make sure the plot is as great as the visuals (if needed, ask wynand for advice, any story he touches rules)

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:17:41 AM »

Well, yeah, menus and GUI are heavily stylized, while the game itself takes more realistic approach. It's not too uncommon and it works nicely I think. We would like the main menu to look and feel like a book cover.

We're working hard on the plot. There's a strong chance that we'll soon add an experienced writer to our team, as I may not be able to do everything on my own on time. As for Wynand, he's a great writer and all, for a while he even was to write the story for ArcMagi, but it took him months to even reply to emails, which left me with generally bad/lazy impression.
Shrug

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 09:36:25 AM »

yeah, but to be fair i don't think it's laziness as much as busy-ness -- reading his facebook anyway, i get the impression that he just works really hard for his editing company, and doesn't have that much free time. but the same thing is true of ID and SD -- he wrote basically the entire story of ID in the last 3 weeks of development (but even so it was the most widely praised part of the game).

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:57:26 AM »

I can understand being busy, but nobody is so busy that they can't find few minutes to send an email. Even if that email is going to be: "Sorry, I'm busy, I'll reply later". Theoretically he's still writing the story for ArcMagi - he was still up for it in his last email and never said "no". He just didn't reply to my last email for around a year now Cheesy.
Sorry, I know he's a talented writer, and I don't want to criticize anyone on a public forum (too much), but I can't help it - he just left a bad impression on me. I prefer to work with responsive and active people, who I can count on in any situation, and who I know will manage to keep deadlines if necessary.

And to stay on the topic of Cinders -- I just had an awesome bug in which one of the characters decided to hang herself  Grin.

Tom Grochowiak
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »

i tend to agree for my part (i always read and reply to emails quickly) but i do know people who claim to be too busy to even read emails (let alone respond to them). but yeah, i think it's a good idea to work with people who are more timely, as long as they are also good at what they do (i wouldn't want to sacrifice quality for timeliness, which is probably why SD is nearing the 4 years in production mark)

regarding VN's in general though, do you know if there's any overlap between the people who buy western-made VN's and those who play japanese-made ones? or are they usually separate audiences?

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »

Agreed on quality. But if Cinders took 4 years to complete, I would starve 3 years before its release Wink. I need both skill and reliability. Actually, reliability is also a mark of skill.

regarding VN's in general though, do you know if there's any overlap between the people who buy western-made VN's and those who play japanese-made ones? or are they usually separate audiences?
I'm not sure. I'm still new to the genre, and I'm not really interested too much in the classic anime VNs except Phoenix Wright. I think there's some overlap, but I also think most western VN fans don't know Japanese well enough to import Japanese-made games, and play the ones made by western makers.

At first I was afraid that the existing VN audience is so used to anime style, that they will reject anything different. But I posted Cinders on an anime VN centric forum, as well as sent a preview copy to Hanako, Amanda and Winterwolves, and they all loved it. So I guess there's some flexibility.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:11:35 AM »

We uploaded three Cinders wallpapers to MoaCube's website, if anybody's interested.

Link

Tom Grochowiak
jack_norton
Level 0

Better be independent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 11:03:51 AM »

Wallpapers are a great idea Smiley
And also want to public wish good luck to you in making a VN. I do VN/Dating Sims since a few years and I personally enjoy it, though I understand it's not a kind of game that can appeal everyone  Durr...?

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 02:53:41 PM »

Ha ha, I actually worked on The Witcher Cool. There's no connection between the musicians though.
Congratulations for working a on great successful project =)

I'm totally downloading the title screen wallpaper, thanks for making them !
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 01:56:50 AM »

We updated the Cinders page with two more recent screenshots:

I have already shown the lake here, but Madame Ghede on the cemetery (1st image) is completely new. Like it?

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 06:02:24 AM »

I know than visual novels aren't too popular on TIGS, but we haven't updated in a while, and I thought I should drop in the latest news, in case someone's interested.

We have uploaded a new video with a fragment of Cinders soundtrack to our YouTube. It also showcases one of the in-game locations in motion, in proper HD.

Link

If everything goes well, we should have pre-orders of Cinders available next week. Purchasers will get to play a preview build of the game right away. Here's more info: http://moacube.com/?p=523

Overall, it seems we're approaching the final stage of the development. Wish us luck Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
Zaphos
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 07:04:28 AM »

in case someone's interested.
Definitely interested, this looks great Smiley
Amanda Williams
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 10:39:17 AM »

This is absolutely gorgeous. Wishing great things for you! Smiley

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »

A big day for us! Cinders pre-orders and preview build are finally available!

Cinders Pre-Order

Pre-order costs $19.95, gives purchasers access to the preview build of the game right away, and allows them to affect the development by participating in our closed beta. We also published a small trailer for the game. It's featured in the announcement on our website, but here's a direct link:

Let us know what you think Smiley.

Tom Grochowiak
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 02:05:55 AM »

Cinders as a sexy evil queen in one of the possible endings:

There's a proper illustration for every variant of every ending in the game.

Tom Grochowiak
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic