Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:13:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationLegend of the Tomb of Fate [FINISHED (now w/color support for windows)]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Legend of the Tomb of Fate [FINISHED (now w/color support for windows)]  (Read 13976 times)
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2008, 12:12:52 AM »

UPDATE Windows executable with color support is now available!  Get it here:

http://www.decontextualize.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/lottof-win-color.zip

Hi everyone.  New here.  Here's my game!

Windows executable:

http://www.decontextualize.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/lottof-win.zip

Python source code (Mac and Linux users should use this):

http://www.decontextualize.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/legend-of-the-tomb-of-fate.zip

(Don't look too closely at the source code.  I've been working fast.  It's kind of a mess.)

More information about the game can be found on my web site: http://www.decontextualize.com/projects/lottof/

But here's the basic gist:

Legend of the Tomb of Fate is an old-school BBS door-style dungeon crawler. Almost all of the game’s content (enemies, weapons, armor, items, names) is procedurally generated - randomly determined as the game progresses. There’s a nearly inexhaustible supply of RPG goodness, all in <90k of Python code.

Tips:

- Once you've chosen your party, go into the General Store and "commission" an item.  If you don't like the item you got, then try again!

- You can save your game in the Temple.

- If you want to get rid of an existing save, just delete the "lottof.dat" file.

Let me know if you have any problems running the game.

Thanks!
Adam
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:16:55 AM by aparrish » Logged
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »

Cool, an entry from a total newcomer, and procedurally advertury IF.  have to chek this out.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »

Holy crap, the game's hard. How do I get more party members, cause I always get trampled by enemies in the very first level.

It's a bit annoying having to commission items to the shop so you can buy anything. Usually a shop has assorted stuff and the commissioning is for when you want something specific.

Overall though it got me curious. I'll try it some more later on.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »

You can't change your party after you've selected it.  You can win with fewer characters, though - it's almost easier, since you can spend more money to buy good gear for your one guy.

Populating the shop with items at the very beginning is probably a good idea, since it models for the player what objects they're likely to get at what price points when they commission items.  I left it out initially because I wanted to play up the riskiness of the commissioning process - you have to choose between getting something expensive (but maybe useless), or sticking with something cheap (though maybe not as good).

I should also mention that magic isn't implemented at all, so you're wasting your money if you're buying items that buff your magic stat (Mag).

Glad to hear that the game worked for you, and that your interest was piqued.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:56:56 PM by aparrish » Logged
Asesino
Level 0

:-|

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

Nice game, and it will be even nicier with color text Smiley

Hmph!
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:17:49 AM »

That was a fun game. Got lost in the details a few time, color would have been helpful since I first thought that only one person was attacking per round. Well, that didn't last long. But, I wasn't sure about the items at all.

Still, reminded me a lot of bard's tale and I enjoyed fumbling around with it.
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »

I just updated the OP with a link to a Windows executable that supports color. (Thanks, python ctypes!)  Here it is:

http://www.decontextualize.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/lottof-win-color.zip

Some further hints and tips for playing the game:

- Make sure to EQUIP items after you buy them.  The menu for doing this is under "Party status" (hit 'z' in the shop or in the dungeon/crypt/hypogeum or whatever your current game is calling it).  You can PUT ON items to benefit from their stat improvements, or WIELD them to use them do deal damage in battle.

- Before you can descend deeper than level 1, you'll need to defeat that level's BOSS.  Just keep hitting 's' to search, you'll stumble on him eventually.  Once you've defeated him, return to town - when you next descend, you'll be able to choose level 2.

- Ask about the "nature of this world" in the Temple to determine which elements are strong against which other elements.  There are significant damage bonuses and penalties at stake here, so it pays to get informed.

Again, thanks for playing everyone... keep the comments coming.
Asesino
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 03:12:04 AM »

I've played it again, and you know, this game is great Smiley However, it still needs some interface improvements (eg when you equip your chars).
Btw, is there some bug with comissioning 0-level items? Cause it gives me armour, which increases a lot of my chars stats =| And it costs only 1 pound per item :D

Hmph!
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »

I've played it again, and you know, this game is great Smiley However, it still needs some interface improvements (eg when you equip your chars).
Btw, is there some bug with comissioning 0-level items? Cause it gives me armour, which increases a lot of my chars stats =| And it costs only 1 pound per item :D

Thanks! And yes, the interface could be a lot better (even for a text mode interface!)... as the deadline approached, I was just trying to get features working, and didn't have time to make the interface "flow" the way I want it to.

Good catch with the level 0 commissions... you shouldn't be able to do that.  I've added it to my ever-growing list of bugs.
Asesino
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 08:06:48 AM »

Waiting for new releases Smiley

Hmph!
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 04:16:55 AM »

This is really awesome, but so, so hardcore! Hats off to you Sir!  Gentleman

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »

Yeah very entertaining and the oldschool RPG brings good memory. There was a time all CRPGs played like this one lol. Beer!

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 05:54:26 PM »

This is really awesome, but so, so hardcore! Hats off to you Sir!  Gentleman

Thank you!  I've been coming down from an Etrian Odyssey jag, which is obviously a huge influence.  I hope to make it even *more* hardcore in future releases. Smiley
zradick
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »

Always nice to try something a little different (even when it's an old forumla)!
Cheers,
--Zack
Linus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 05:57:33 PM »

This turned out to be the sole game I felt obliged to comment on, being that it's one of the few games in the procedural competition that I actually finished (Other one being Dyson) and also because I found it awesome.

Now, I might not have the latest version, I think I downloaded it before you updated the game with color support, but I still found it enjoyable enough.

Of course, this might have to do with me being tired, the way I played the game can be explained as follows:
Code:
main(){
 while(money() > 5000){
  commissionStuff(rand()%(money-1000));
  if(buyableItemsRock()) buy(getRandomAwesomeItem());
 }
 descendIntoAptlyNamedDungeonOfWin(max(1, maxDungeonLevel()-rand()%3));
 do{
   while(!battle) type('s');
   while(battle) type('a');
 }until(lowHp());
 ascend();
 rest();
 revive();
 main(); //Because maximum stack depth is a lie. <3
}

Eeeeither way, I finished the game, and it was fun. ^^

Now, once you win, the commission price is removed. I thought "awesome", and proceeded to make my favourite weapon ever:
Code:

''Aagh Jasaqit's General Store
------------------------------
b - Buy items
s - Sell items
c - Commission a new item
z - Party status
q - Return to town
Your party has 21418 sq. --> c

Commission an item at what level? 10000
That will cost 5 sq.  Okay (y/n)? y
Your item: [insert 10min of nothing happening]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "legendofthetomboffate.py", line 4, in <module>
  File "lottof\gamerun.pyc", line 1209, in run
  File "lottof\gamerun.pyc", line 588, in commission_item_action
  File "lottof\item.pyc", line 119, in gen_weapon
  File "lottof\damage.pyc", line 51, in gen_damage
MemoryError

My mouse even froze for a few seconds after that. Still loved the game though. ^,^
You win a Beer!!

Linus

[P.S. Obligatory "first post" comment. D.S.]
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 11:58:33 PM »

The 'nature of this world' bit was my favourite part. Procedurally generating the elemental structures that make up your universe? Nice!

aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »

This turned out to be the sole game I felt obliged to comment on, being that it's one of the few games in the procedural competition that I actually finished (Other one being Dyson) and also because I found it awesome.

Now, I might not have the latest version, I think I downloaded it before you updated the game with color support, but I still found it enjoyable enough.

::snip::

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm planning to implement a more robust skill/status effect system (for spells, items, etc.) that will hopefully liven up the gameplay a bit.  I think you found the optimal algorithm for beating the game as it stands.

There's a bug in the program that causes it to go into an infinite loop if you request an item at a level above 200.  I'm sorry about that!  It must have been disappointing to not get your level 10000 item. Sad  Thanks for the comments and the bug report.
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 04:15:38 PM »

The 'nature of this world' bit was my favourite part. Procedurally generating the elemental structures that make up your universe? Nice!

Thanks!  I was inspired by the elemental grids in Pokemon and Skies of Arcadia which, for all the sense they make, might as well have been procedurally generated.  (Ghost is strong against bug and weak against steel?  What model of the world could that possibly be based on?)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic