Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998789 Posts in 39178 Topics- by 30590 Members - Latest Member: Red_Demitry

April 20, 2014, 11:14:09 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackPlaytestingKing Arthur's Gold - A 2D Multiplayer-only Free Buildy-Fighty Game
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: King Arthur's Gold - A 2D Multiplayer-only Free Buildy-Fighty Game  (Read 32369 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2011, 03:54:52 AM »

The game patches itself automatically, so no worries there. If you're running windows and have graphics card drivers, you're probably fine.

Preface:

So, I've been working with someone on a game over the last while, me doing the art and him doing the code, and we've finally got it to a point where we're happy to let the public have at it; there's still bugs, but when you find them we'll try to clean them up as quickly as possible - report them in the blogs comments if you'd be so kind.

King Arthur's gold is a 2D multiplayer-only free "minecraftlike" in the broadest sense, where players fight for gold and land, building castles and digging out tunnels. Gameplay is open-ended and servers can be hosted by anyone.

The game is in the early stages (~4 weeks in now, I think) and we've just gone public! We're already working on fixes from all new bugs found (and have patched a lot of them), hopefully you don't run into anything too untoward Wink

Here's what it looks like:

MORE SCREENSHOTS HERE

Have at it, TIG denizens. I await your feedback.

OSX build will come later, perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:21:45 PM by Geti » Logged

lansing
Level 2

=]

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 04:13:01 AM »

Interesting, just tried it on windows vista. Reminds me of soldat except the jumping and running is more restricted in this.
poe
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »

Looks good, trying now. Will update this post when I play it.

EDIT:
Loved it, I would like to request either being able to change the screen resolution or always zoom though, it's a bit too zoomed out for me to tell whats going on.

Secondly, I couldn't get used to building but that's probably just me.

Last but not least, I love this game.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:22:38 AM by poe » Logged
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »

I don't think this should be called a "Minecraft-alike". Looks fun though, i'll give it a go shortly.

It would be cool to have an archive option too, rather than just an installer. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Edit:
This is fun! I like the idea of classes, i'm going to give this a go online later.

Suggestions:
- It would be nice to use mousewheel to change blocks rather than F.

- Some sort of indication of what you need to build certain blocks. I don't really understand the recipe for doors at the moment. I'm guessing it's wood and ore, but i don't know exactly how many blocks of each.
(Aha! It tells you in icons at the top left which blocks you need).

- I also think that all classes should be able to do some form of building. At the moment when you are playing with 2 people you either have to both be a fighting class, or both be a builder. If one of you is a fighting class, the other person can't build. Maybe you could make it so that only builders can create special blocks such as doors?

- Just been playing on the official server. I think part of the reason it's turned into a mostly underground brawl is the fact that all classes can dig. As well as this, someone had built a nice fort, but i managed to get in and kill them by digging through the wall as a soldier. It felt a bit unfair to me that i was able to do that.

(You can change class at your enemies spawn point, i don't know if you are supposed to be able to do this.)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:41:29 AM by Nugsy » Logged

poe
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:01:48 AM »

If anyone would like to discuss this game I added a spot for that on my site. Here. I'll be adding a game server in a few moments after I prepare everything.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »

And here come the hackers. Sad

Guess i'll play on a private server for a bit.

poe
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:31:52 PM »

And here come the hackers. Sad

Guess i'll play on a private server for a bit.
They seem to be gone now Smiley
It was /v/ apparently, oh well not a big deal.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »

There shouldn't be any hacking, though there is a glitch with the archer that allows you to shoot arrows far too fast; we're working on patching that now, same with the changing class at the enemy tent. Smiley

@poe: You can change the resolution in Base/Scripts/autoconfig.gm, we should really get that in-game soon. You can zoom with left ctrl and shift, but you have to hold them: it's not really all that fair to be able to see so far ahead.

Glad people seem to be enjoying it Coffee

Gabriel Verdon
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:55:22 AM »

This game looks awesome, I just downloaded and tried running around and it felt really solid. How do I make the game patch itself? It says the server is running a newer version.

kidchameleon
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »

This game is awesome!
Accidental Rebel
Level 5

Go ahead and discuss,I'll just masticate over here

jkllicudine@mymail.mapua.edu.ph klicudine
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 11:49:48 AM »

Went online on the official servers a bit and I had fun. I'm inviting my brother over to play.  Toast Right

Check out my devlog - AccidentalRebel.com
Follow me on twitter!
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »

This game looks awesome, I just downloaded and tried running around and it felt really solid. How do I make the game patch itself? It says the server is running a newer version.
It should patch automatically, try restarting the game? If worst comes to worst, just grab a fresh installer off the site.

YOU CAN NOW RUN A LINUX SERVER FOR HOSTING

Theon
Level 3

Pew!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:39:08 AM »

Reminds me of Terraria (which I just purchased), and that's a good thing!
Looks lovely, and props for Wilhelm's Scream! Hand Thumbs Up Right

Downloading!
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 05:56:21 PM »

props for Wilhelm's Scream! Hand Thumbs Up Right
Hahah, thanks!

We've had the game compared to terraria, minecraft, soldat, and maplestory, hahah.

DET. Defective
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 02:46:31 AM »

Looks like a great game. Unfortunately, my computer is pretty lame (integrated graphics, 2 gigs of ram, 2GHz dual core), and the game chugs at normal zoom. Far zoom goes into slideshow framerates, and close zoom runs smoothly.

From what I tried though, it was fun, but I also had another problem: The quick talk icons were messed up for some reason, stretched out/chopped up would be the right words. There was also something in the upper left corner blinking, assumed they were hearts, but again, the graphics were a bit messed up, and appeared as chunky cut-up blobs.

I'd chalk it up to my computer being crap. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic