Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:12:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Flash for Downloadable game. Some tips?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Flash for Downloadable game. Some tips?  (Read 3127 times)
tyranus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am trying to finish my game... but I have some problems because I have use flash to make that game:

- How I can disable "ESC" to quit fullscreen mode? Is very aonnoying.
- How I can disable the menu from the projector?
- Is posibble disable context menu (right click)?
- Is posible to make a stand alone in AIR?

Well this is it, I hope show you a trailer soon Smiley

Thanks!

pd: Sorry my caveman english.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 01:07:16 PM by tyranus » Logged

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

I'd suggest asking Terry Cavanagh about it, since if I remember correctly he has some trouble trying to make VVVVVV downloadable-friendly, much the same as you are.

http://distractionware.com/blog/

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »

I'm personally working on developing a Haxe solution for Flash game development. Eventually I hope to be able to compile games for Flash, as well as compiling them to C++ for stand-alone platform distribution.
Nix
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »

Air is how it's done
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:25 PM »

I'd personally go with AIR as well. Anyway, this has been discussed with many solutions here :
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10106.0

If I'm not mistaken, most, if not all, of your questions were answered in that thread as well.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »

Further to Hima's link, the key post is this one by Terry. In particular, fscommand is your friend!

Air is how it's done
Are you sure? Nobody I know who's done this (myself included) has managed to make Air do this. (The problem is that AIR wants the user to install the AIR runtime, it cannot produce a standalone executable.)

st33d
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 02:46:55 AM »

Agreed. Mike Chambers offers a "solution" here:

http://www.mikechambers.com/blog/2008/04/07/redistributing-the-adobe-air-runtime-installer/

That being that you bundle an AIR installer with your application (and you have to get a licence from Adobe to do that before you do). Which is fucking shady. You can't get a standalone projector like you can with Flash.

There's even an ensuing debate in the comments about a product called Shu, which is an AIR executable wrapper. But Shu is technically illegal, and they're just saddling their customers with a product that's going to get them in trouble if it becomes popular to go under Adobe's radar.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 03:27:29 AM »

But Shu is technically illegal, and they're just saddling their customers with a product that's going to get them in trouble if it becomes popular to go under Adobe's radar.

That's not quite correct. Earlier versions of Shu violated Adobe's terms and conditions. This has since been fixed.

The caveat with Shu now is that as a developer you need to apply for permission from Adobe to distribute the Air runtime before you can ship a Shu application. (But that's fine for commercial projects - you only have to ask once and I haven't heard of instances of them refusing.)

st33d
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:01:23 AM »

Fair enough, didn't read that well into it.

In our own case I guess we would have some clout in opening negotiations with Adobe as they've tried to sponsor us to work with AIR in the past (a bribe to overcome the fact that most of our audience will baulk at having to download AIR and then the AIR project).

We refused because (commercially speaking) working on a game that no one will play compared to working on one which people will play is like comparing wanking to sex. That the former may be fun, and you won't get criticised for your performance, but we all know what we'd rather be doing.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

All of these legal semantics and AIR runtime installations are exactly why I chose to go the Haxe route instead. By using the C++ Haxe target, I can compile my projects as legitimate stand-alone applications without any sort of AIR runtime. And since that target also creates all of the necessary C++ code, I can go back and make changes to the program in C++ if I please. (which would allow me to bundle the resources into the exe, or put in hooks for Steam or other 3rd-party APIs, etc...) I've already tested and gotten this solution running with C++ executables for Windows, OSX, and even iOS.

The only real drawback is that you have to develop your Flash game in Haxe. If your flash game was originally designed using the Flash IDE, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to port it over to Haxe. If you made your Flash game using straight AS3, then Haxe might be worth considering.

For more information, you can visit the Haxe site, and also the Haxe C++ specific blog.
Nix
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »

Further to Hima's link, the key post is this one by Terry. In particular, fscommand is your friend!

Air is how it's done
Are you sure? Nobody I know who's done this (myself included) has managed to make Air do this. (The problem is that AIR wants the user to install the AIR runtime, it cannot produce a standalone executable.)

Oh, I guess I didn't read the OP very carefully.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 06:08:21 AM »

All of these legal semantics and AIR runtime installations are exactly why I chose to go the Haxe route instead.
Everyone keeps saying that, but there's no haXe display api for C++, and if there was it wouldn't be compatible with the flash one anyway. So unless I'm mistaken, creating a game in haXe to work around runtime issues is basically akin to saying "rewrite it completely in a different language".
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 04:52:37 PM »

All of these legal semantics and AIR runtime installations are exactly why I chose to go the Haxe route instead.
Everyone keeps saying that, but there's no haXe display api for C++, and if there was it wouldn't be compatible with the flash one anyway. So unless I'm mistaken, creating a game in haXe to work around runtime issues is basically akin to saying "rewrite it completely in a different language".

This is incorrect. Look up the NME project(Neko Media Engine). It's an SDL wrapper plus a Flash compatibility layer, and it's been built, off-and-on, since 2008.

http://haxe.org/doc/start/cpp
http://code.google.com/p/nekonme/
http://gamehaxe.com/

While it's quite likely to forever have imperfect Flash compatibility, it's a viable starting place for Flash-to-C++ ports, and it's gradually becoming more proven.

The obvious next step, of course, is to write a Molehill/GL compatibility layer. Then you REALLY won't care what you're running on, graphics-wise.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »

So unless I'm mistaken, creating a game in haXe to work around runtime issues is basically akin to saying "rewrite it completely in a different language".

What Triplefox said. Using NME it is possible to get most of the standard Flash drawing routines running just fine using Haxe. In fact, you can even access most of the Flash AS3 API. It's true that the compatibility isn't at 100%, but most basic drawing and display list functionality is there. In my own projects, I've gotten external image loading working, displaying loaded bitmaps, and loading up and playing sounds.

It is true that Haxe isn't the same language as Actionscript 3. So you would have to re-write, or at least bug-check a considerable amount of code. In particular, the "for loop" syntax in Haxe is different from AS3, and all instances of for loops would have to be replaced. If there are any very AS3-specific fixes you have in your code, they would have to be replaced as well. (such as lower-level memory operations or rarely-used AS3 "tricks")

This certainly isn't a quick-fix. However, Haxe's compatibility with AS3 is quite good, and is a great way for developing Flash. The C++ exporter is mainly a bonus that opens your Haxe projects up to other platforms.
tyranus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 12:21:27 PM »

Thanks a lot!!

I will process all this information, and I will back (terminator voice here) with my conclution and, if I have success, with a tutorial  Smiley

tyranus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 08:36:33 PM »

Code:
fscommand("showmenu","false");
fscommand("trapallkey","true");

Ouch! This command seems doesn't work in Flash Player 10, I google it and I don't find a clear answer about that... I am doing something wrong? It's a bug? It's adove doing on porpuse? Or It's just me? (I hope It's just me).

I have tried:
Code:
fscommand("quit");

and it's works... so I guess there is something more hidding here...

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »

I am doing something wrong?

Depends what you're doing!

I recommend reading the documentation for fscommand to make sure you're using it correctly (and that it does what you think it does).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic