Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:50:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting'A Tale By Alex' (1st game by Digital Dreams)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 'A Tale By Alex' (1st game by Digital Dreams)  (Read 4947 times)
Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:56 AM »

Hi,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now, and at last it's time for me to post a game as well. Like I said a few days ago, I founded a little company with some friends, called 'Digital Dreams'. And we kind of finished our first game.
The game is called 'A Tale by Alex'.

It's a game about a kid named Alex who likes to play at home. The player plays little Alex in his living room as well as in his fantasy. In his living room he's just walking on tables and sofas, but in his fantasy he's a strong knight in a forest. His cat is a lion, his rug is a lava pit, his vacuum cleaner is a robot, his annoying sister is an ogre and so forth. The player plays Alex in 3 floors at the same time; in his living room, a crossover world and his fantasy. All game art assets are twisted pixels (diagonally aligned pixels, pixels in a 45 degree angle).

We made the game in about 1,5 months in Flixel.

You can read more info about the game over on our site here.

It's on FGL now. Check it out here. I would really appreciate if you guys shared what you think of the game.

Visit Digital Dreams for some of our games.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 01:43:36 AM »

It looks near. Digging the graphical style. Will be waiting for release.

Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »

It looks near. Digging the graphical style. Will be waiting for release.
Thanks for your reply. Great to hear!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 03:56:43 AM by Gene » Logged

JarMustard
Level 0

Moi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 07:15:38 AM »

Very interesting idea with the rotated pixel art style.  It creates an interesting painterly atmosphere.  I'm curious to see it in motion. 
It makes me want to see someone play more with this style; making slanted UI, having rotating pixels, or find some way to incorporate the view into the gameplay.

I can't comment much on how 'A Tale by Alex' plays, but I feel like the UI could use a bit of clarification.
It's a bit busy and distracting at first glance.   

Good luck finishing it and I'll be sure to check it out when you're done.

-justin

Twitter - @JarMustard
Steam - Jarmustard
Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »

Very interesting idea with the rotated pixel art style.  It creates an interesting painterly atmosphere.  I'm curious to see it in motion. 
It makes me want to see someone play more with this style; making slanted UI, having rotating pixels, or find some way to incorporate the view into the gameplay.

I can't comment much on how 'A Tale by Alex' plays, but I feel like the UI could use a bit of clarification.
It's a bit busy and distracting at first glance.   

Good luck finishing it and I'll be sure to check it out when you're done.

-justin

We didn't feel like doing conventional pixel art, so came up with the angled pixels. It took some time to get a decent art pipeline though. It took quite some hassle. If we did normal pixels the project probably would have taken half the time. So be warned  Grin   
But yeah, I think the style certainly has some potential for interesting experimentation.

Too bad you aren't able to play the game, because the gameplay takes all of your focus, so we had to make the UI this way, to be clear.

We are putting the game up for bids if we feel like we had enough feedback and made changes, but when we sell it, I will definitely post a link to the game so everyone can play it.

Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 08:01:29 AM »

We also released a trailer with (surprisingly) some moving footage of the game:

Checkout:

King Hadas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:10:41 PM »

I liked it. At first I was going to suggest getting rid of the middle Alex because keeping up with three of them is frustrating since going off screen kills you and having that middle transitional screen doesn't really fit the premise, but I've changed my mind. I like how it works with your status bar, that is it going up faster for each Alex gaining ground.

The horse/skateboard makes your status bar go up faster too right? I always get hit and lose it before I can be sure. I'd really like it if there was some way of getting that back during gameplay, maybe if all Alexs are alive when you reach the next status your horse is revived?

On my playthrough I only ran into one glitch.

This chandelier gets stuck on the ledge and won't break. Also touching it hurts you.

Is there an end game to this? I've only been able to get to emperor status.
Thijmen Bink
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:03:29 AM »

On my playthrough I only ran into one glitch.
This chandelier gets stuck on the ledge and won't break. Also touching it hurts you.

Is there an end game to this? I've only been able to get to emperor status.

Getting to Emperor is no small feat Smiley It is the second last title actually, but as it's a highscore game it will go on forever.
Thank you for screenshotting that glitch, I'll fix it right away.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:29:21 AM by Thijmen Bink » Logged

Aspiring to inspire
Co-Founder of Digital Dreams
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 02:10:25 AM »

Love the concept, love the graphics, not sure I like the voice work. The game has a retro feel and the voice doesn't really fit with that. The sound effects are also very retro, which just makes the voice stand out even more.

(Unless the voice work is only in the trailer?)

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 04:25:08 AM »

Love the concept, love the graphics, not sure I like the voice work. The game has a retro feel and the voice doesn't really fit with that. The sound effects are also very retro, which just makes the voice stand out even more.

(Unless the voice work is only in the trailer?)
I'm afraid it is. We don't really want to make retro games per se. So this was kind of our take on how to do things a little different.

Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 03:57:43 AM »

The game is finally released. Please let us know what you think!
You can play the game at Armorgames.com.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:02:06 AM by Gene » Logged

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 04:41:23 AM »

oops, link is borked man

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
The Village Blacksmith
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 11:59:23 PM »

I am completely in love with the visuals in this game. Well done!

Andrew C. Sandifer
The Village Blacksmith
www.thevillageblacksmith.net
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 03:05:49 AM »

That art style is fucking genious.
Stunning.
Majestic
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »

I like the abstract art work

www.soundcloud.com/majestic8390 - My game music portfolio
For custom game music tailored for your project contact me majestic8390[at]gmail[dot]com
Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 05:04:16 AM »

oops, link is borked man
Thanks, you were right. Fixed the link to Armorgames.com.
Let me know what you think Smiley

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »

Im not very good at the game but I love it.  Really great idea and execution!  One of the more original flash games I've played.  I actually enjoyed the voice in the game!  Ill have to give it a few more plays and get back to you.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »

I kinda wish the three Alex'es couldn't go out of sync with their horizontal positions. I feel that paying attention to the three different worlds is enough of a challenge even when they're lined up, so it gets a bit annoying when you have to run up against a wall or into a hole to get them to line up again.

Laserbrain Studios
Gene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 04:51:45 AM »

I kinda wish the three Alex'es couldn't go out of sync with their horizontal positions. I feel that paying attention to the three different worlds is enough of a challenge even when they're lined up, so it gets a bit annoying when you have to run up against a wall or into a hole to get them to line up again.
It crossed our minds to make them sync automatically on certain points or after a certain amount of time. Do you think that would have been better?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 02:47:38 AM »

Hmmm. I'm not sure. When I played, I would try to get them to sync up as soon as possible, so I probably wouldn't wait a certain amount of time or until a certain point. I was thinking you could just make it impossible for them to go out of sync -- i.e. the other Alex'es would be unable to move forward if one of them is moving into a wall. Of course, that probably wouldn't make much sense narrative wise if the lower Alex (the 'real' one) wouldn't be able to move forward because an imaginary wall is blocking an imaginary Alex. It could maybe also make it feel too 'gamey' with invisible walls hindering your progress and such.

I could be that I'm just not all that good at the game and because of that the unsyncing is more of an issue.

Shrug

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic